Love The Hotel Guru ! Jackie Maillard.
Search the best hotels in Fremantle
Perched where the Swan River meets the Indian Ocean, Fremantle is a lively port city 30 minutes southwest of Perth; a friendly and sleekly-designed city boasting overflowing markets, old colonial prisons, fantastic arts & crafts shops, delicious freshly-caught seafood and delectable local craft beer. This city is choc-a-bloc with colour and life: whether you're wandering through the Fremantle Markets, taking a romantic stroll along the Harbour or soaking in the golden rays at Leighton Beach, you will fall in love with the easy-going vibe and natural charm of this gorgeous city. Sleek, modern and teeming with fun things-to-do, Fremantle is the ideal place for a family holiday or a stop-off point on a backpacking holiday. Interested? Enjoy browsing our list of the best places to stay in Fremantle.
With only 29,000 inhabitants, it's a compact city that's a nice, quieter alternative to staying in the comparatively bustling Perth. The city is named after Captain Charles Fremantle, the English naval officer who first settled in the area back in 1829. Indeed, the city still retains a plethora of 19th-century buildings that you'll be able to spot when walking around taking in your surroundings.
Going back even further, Fremantle was originally a ceremonial and trading site for the Noongar people, who refer to it as 'Walyalup', "the place of crying". Nowadays, however, with its laid-back ambiance and scenic setting, there's little chance that visiting Fremantle will bring you to tears!
What not to miss
- Enjoy a guided tour of Fremantle Prison, and hear tales of roguish bushrangers and Irish escapees as you walk through the tunnels...
- Sip the much-loved local craft beer Little Creatures.
- Check out the Western Australian Maritime Museum and take a tour inside a submarine.
- Walk around May6160, a department-store-style place where local artists and craftspeople ply their trade.
- For some sunshine and sand, be sure to check out both Port and Leighton beaches. Locals love these for their white sand, pure water and potential for windsurfing, snorkelling and kitesurfing.
- Wander around the Fremantle Markets, where you can find everything from t-shirts and fruit to paella and artworks!
- Take a day trip to Perth, 30 minutes away.
- Eat some delicious freshly-caught seafood down at the Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour.
Find out more and start to plan your trip by checking out our collection of the best places to stay in Fremantle.
The best places to stay in Fremantle
- Fothergills of Fremantle: set in a gorgeous colonial house with an enormous art collection, offering individually-designed and elegant rooms with a traditional feel. Enjoy wine and cheese on the terrace, admiring the statues and paintings inside and outside, or relaxing in the four-poster bed. Perfect for couples.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner, Booking.com, has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Perth International Airport, and get the myAirshuttle bus to Fremantle from the airport.
- If you want to hire a car to explore further afield, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit is between September and December, when the average high is around 23°C, but there is little rainfall. Plus you get the benefit of enjoying the spring flowers (this region boasts around 12000 different varieties).
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Fremantle
Fothergills of Fremantle Fremantle WA 6160 6 rooms from £101
A sophisticated colonial house, with an extensive art collection, perched on a hill offering spectacular views. Individually styled rooms have a traditional feel and the best have heavy four-posters. Sunset wine and cheese is served on the terrace. A tranquil base to explore the town from.Local exploring - Great location for exploring Fremantle, sitting right opposite the iconic Fremantle PrisonSights nearby - Popular sights include the Fremantle Prison just opposite, the Round House and the Shipwreck GalleriesGreat walks - Beautiful walks around the town and coast to exploreLocal markets - There is a variety of Fremantle Markets to discover