Search the best hotels in Western Australia
About Western Australia
Most of Western Australia's population lives in young, golden, leisure-oriented Perth, while the rest of the state, which is approximately a third of Australia, is deserts pricked by rock formations, farming scrub, eucalyptus forests and green granite mountain ranges known for their deep gashing gorges. Not many tourists venture far from the visitor hubs of Broome, Monkey Mia or the Ningaloo Reef, but many of the best places to stay in Western Australia allow you to sleep in some of the world's most remote comfort.
It's easy to develop a generous understanding of personal space in Western Australia - this vast orange and ochre land is frontier country, and great swathes of it are empty, all the way up to the smooth white sands on the edge of the Indian Ocean. So the few - by square kilometre - inhabitants can afford to keep their distance. Which helps in this heat.
All our Western Australia collections:
What Not to Miss
- Mining has made much of Western Australia rich, but this is still an unpolished place dotted with remote outback towns which might feel like they come from another age. Even in cosmopolitan Perth you can still sometimes feel the grit of the desert.
- Western Australia's other natural assets, its chalky, wine friendly soil, and the treasure trove of pearls off its coastline, have also contributed to the state's wealth. But nothing can diminish the distances those who live here have to travel to get anywhere else. Though of course the spectacularly empty views have made W.A. a darling of photographers.
- Western Australia has a lot more to offer aesthetically than space. The Pinnacles Desert with its limestone pillars sprouting from the sand makes for a mysterious landscape, and the great gashing gorges of the Kalbarri National Park come in more colours than you'd think possible for stone formations. And Western Australia's southern regions are almost primordial in their ancient lushness.
- Western Australia's size - if it were its own country it would be in the world's top ten largest, larger than all of Western Europe - means you'll find all sorts of climates and geographic conditions, from the tropics in the north to the almost Mediterranean feeling south.
- You'll also find world class surfing at Cable Beach and Margaret River - as well as world class wines and stunning beaches - and the Ningaloo Reef, near Coral Bay, has some incredibly beautiful dives. Of course Western Australia is an amazing destination for walkers and 4WD trekkers too.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Western Australia range from city slick in Perth to accommodation at Australia's oldest working pearl farm.
The best places to stay in Western Australia
For a Perth city break
- Perth is full of charming old colonial buildings, of which The Terrace Hotel is a great example. There are just 15 rooms, decorated with a mix of old and new, right in the heart of Perth's old city, just below Kings Park.
- The Richardson Hotel & Spa in West Perth is a spacious and elegant hotel with a glamorous spa and lush gardens - though you're also just a short stroll from Kings Park and the Botanical Gardens.
- If you're looking for large, sleek, luxurious and facilities-rich, the Hyatt Regency Perth is a good choice. As well as tennis and squash courts there's a gorgeous outdoor pool and five restaurants.
- The Adina Apartment Hotel is a collection of apartments, some which you're able to open onto each other, with great modern facilities in an unbeatable location, just below Kings Park. the onsite gym and pool help make this a perfect spot for families or groups.
- The Metropol Perth, with its resort style facilities, is an easy option for families. The views, from modern, comfortable rooms, are amazing and there are plenty of the in-house comforts you'd expect from a large, resort-style hotel.
- Empire Retreat & Spa features luxury villas and suites set in and around a gorgeous farmhouse boasting its own winery. Rooms are contemporary and stylish featuring plenty of natural stone and timber. Spacious guest lounges and atrium style dining room to maximise the views. Heavenly spa for the ultimate in pampering.
- Windmills Break, this luxury B&B is set in 10 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens. Near to many local wineries and stunning beaches. Contemporary, inviting bedrooms and hospitable friendly staff. Gourmet breakfasts on the terrace. A relaxing oasis with a gorgeous pool, outdoor spa and tennis court.
- Kimberley Sands Resort and Spa Cable Beach is the ultimate relaxation resort, with a spa, sauna and steam rooms, plus meditative garden zones. Rooms come with glorious marble bathrooms, private balconies and Nespresso machines as standard. Outdoor pool with poolside bar and restaurant serving Aussie cuisine.
- Eco friendly Sal Salis is the ultimate in barefoot luxury. Nine safari style tents occupy a remote spot overlooking the Ningaloo Reef.
- Fitroy River Lodge offers a range of accommodation from safari tents to simple self catering, in the heart of Kimberley. It's great for families and excellent value too.
- Kooljaman Lodge is ideal if you really want to get to know Kimberley, It's owned and run by two Aboriginal Communities and offers fantastic value with accommodation ranging from fully furnished tents to powered campsites.
- Cygnet Bay Pearls is Australia's oldest working pearl farm, and offers accommodation in old pearl workers' cottages or luxurious safari style tents. Each are ensuite, with fantastic views to the beach and BBQ facilities. Do the crew mess experience and dine with the pearl farmers.
For sheer luxury
- Berkeley River Lodge is a slice of pure luxury in one of the remotest spots on earth! Come here for gourmet cuisine, wilderness picnics, heli-fishing and stunning views of the Timor Sea.
- El Questro Homestead offers nine stunning suites set amid tropical gardens and all with private verandahs over looking the Chamberlain River. Here you'll find rugged landscapes complemented by sumptuous accommodation and fabulous food.
- Cape Lodge is a luxury base for exploring the Margaret River region. Rooms are traditional and elegant and the restaurant is award winning.
- Injidup Spa Retreat boasts ten luxury villas each with private plunge pool, fireplace and underfloor heating. Relax in the spa, then cook your own barbie or get the inhouse chef to do the hard work for you!
- Como The Treasury, one time government building, turned luxury downtown hotel, with a grand colonial feel. Spacious, elegant bedrooms and suites feature luxurious bathrooms and views of the river. Two fine dining restaurants and a smart cocktail bar. The hotel also boasts a large spa and swimming pool with city views.
For a beach escape
- Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa is the most sophisticated place to stay on Cable Beach - this resort boasts original artwork from Sir Sidney Nolan and Australia's first L'Occitane spa, as well as a gym, tennis courts and a mini-golf course. A water playground and separate kids and adults pools make this a family friendly option.
- McAlpine House is a relaxing hotel with a slight colonial feel has eight elegant, spacious bedrooms. Stylishly designed suites feature private terrace patios and garden views. Minutes to the beach and town centre. Relax with a drink on the veranda, or chill out by the pool.
- The Pearle of Cable Beach is a luxury resort situated steps away from the white sands of Cable Beach. Large, elegant rooms with private terraces and pavillions with own kitchen, dining and lap pools. A spa enables total relaxation, whilst a tropical oasis surrounds the outdoor infinity pool. Romantic with a family feel.
- Smiths Beach Resort - nestled along the lush tropical coastland at Yallingup, the resort offers rooms with private dining verandas and barbeques, as well as self-catering apartments. Family friendly with separate adult and kid swimming pools. For beach lovers.
- Alex Hotel, brought to you by Australia’s Little Creatures Brewery, Alex Hotel is undeniably cool. Rooms are contemporary and functional yet it's the common areas that make it. A chic lounge and rooftop give space for socialising the restaurant hits the mark on every level.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a wide range of properties to suit holidays of all types.
- Fly to Perth Airport located 15.6km (9.7 miles) from Perth with a wide selection of domestic and International flights.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Western Australia with rail links from Sydney to Perth.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the rugged beauty and stunning coastlines of Western Australia - click here for prices and booking with our online partner Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - the summer from December to February for hot temperatures, ideal for enjoying the beaches.
Still not sure which to book?
- Refine your search to the best places to stay in Perth,
- Try one of the wine hotels of the Margaret River or the Swan Valley?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Western Australia
Best Hotels in Western Australia
Kooljaman Lodge Cape Leveque, Western Australia from £33Outstanding locationBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Back to Nature
Kimberley Sands Resort and Spa Cable Beach Broome (Cable Beach) 72 rooms from £65Sights nearby - Staircase to the Moon5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSpa
Cygnet Bay Pearls Western Australia from £77Sights nearby - Horizontal waterfalls, Kooljaman at Cape LevequeBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Full of characterHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Cygnet Bay Pearls is Australia's oldest working pearl farm, and offers accomodation in old pearl workers' cottages or luxurious safari style tents. Each are ensuite, with fantastic views to the beach and BBQ facilities. Do the crew mess experience and dine with the pearl farmers. See More
Pensione Hotel Perth 98 rooms from £63Active Holiday - Perth is an outdoorsy kind of city (this is the sunniest place in Australia) and you’ve got 990 acres of park on your doorstepLocal exploring - The free CAT bus stops opposite the hotel which makes it the prefect base to explore all that Perth has to offerBusiness meetings - Nestled in the heart of the Perth CBD, ideal for business travellersSights nearby - Kings Park & its botanic garden are very close; also worth checking out the chief astronomer’s residence at the Old Observatory
A central hotel (in the CBD area) set in a classic 1960s modernism-building. Take a step back in time when entering the lobby filled with retro furniture. Rooms are a simple and classic affair with grey tones and crisp white linen. A conveniently placed property with an equally attractive price tag. See More
Fitzroy River Lodge Western Australia from £81Sights nearby - Windjana Gorge National Park and Tunnel Creek National ParkBack to NatureBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Secluded setting - For escaping.
A campsite, tented rooms and self contained apartments located in the heart of Kimberley on the banks of the Fitzroy river. Simple but comfortable accommodation and en suite safari style tents for those who prefer glamping. Great facilities including riverside restaurant and large outdoor pool. See More
Tribe Perth West Perth WA 6005 126 rooms from £84Active Holiday - Perth is an outdoorsy kind of city (this is the sunniest place in Australia) and you’ve got 990 acres of park on your doorstepLocal exploring - Many beaches, boutiques and hip restaurants and cafésSights nearby - Kings Park & its botanic garden are very close; also worth checking out the chief astronomer’s residence at the Old ObservatoryDesigner - Daring and characterful interiors- white neon lights meet gleaming black columns with statement furnitureRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Adina Apartment Hotel Perth 138 rooms from £111Sights nearby - Ten minute walk to Barrack Street Ferry Terminal for trips to Freemantle and RottnestSwimming Pool - Outdoor, with BBQ facilities
Hyatt Regency Perth Perth 367 rooms from £116Sights nearby - Located by the Swan River, close to the East Perth shopping district and WACA OvalSwimming Pool - Outdoor
Fothergills of Fremantle Fremantle WA 6160 6 rooms from £101Local exploring - Great location for exploring Fremantle, sitting right opposite the iconic Fremantle PrisonSights nearby - Popular sights include the Fremantle Prison just opposite, the Round House and the Shipwreck GalleriesGreat walks - Beautiful walks around the town and coast to exploreLocal markets - There is a variety of Fremantle Markets to discover
A sophisticated colonial house, with an extensive art collection, perched on a hill offering spectacular views. Individually styled rooms have a traditional feel and the best have heavy four-posters. Sunset wine and cheese is served on the terrace. A tranquil base to explore the town from. See More
Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa Broome (Cable Beach Road) 245 rooms from £132Spa - Australia's first L'Occitane spaSwimming Pool - Separate adults and kids poolsOutstanding locationOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - Fodors
The most sophistocated place to stay on Cable Beach, this resort boasts original artwork from Sir Sidney Nolan and Australia's first L'Occitane spa, as well as a gym, tennis courts and a mini-golf course. A water playground and separate kids and adults pools make this a family friendly option. See More
Alex Hotel Perth 74 rooms from £133Local exploring - Located amidst some of Perth's best eateries, bars and galleries.Great walks - Take sunset strolls along Cottesloe Beach.Surfing - Suitable beaches nearby.BoutiqueRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
The Terrace Hotel Perth 15 rooms from £145Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Boutique
Metropol Perth Perth 405 rooms from £150SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Empire Retreat & Spa Margaret River (Yallingup) 8 rooms from £150Spa breaksRestrictions on children - Adults onlyRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxury villas and suites set in and around a gorgeous farmhouse boasting its own winery. Rooms are contemporary and stylish featuring plenty of natural stone and timber. Spacious guest lounges and atrium style dining room to maximise the views. Heavenly spa for the ultimate in pampering. See More
Smiths Beach Resort Margaret River (Yallingup) 55 rooms from £153Families - Flexible accommodation is perfect for families - beach villas have up to four bedroomsSwimming Pool - Separate kid and adult unheated outdoor poolsViews - Great views from hotelRemote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
The Pearle of Cable Beach Broome 66 rooms from £155Sights nearby - Cape Leveque Overnight camping tourWatersports - Childrens boutique water parkLocal markets - Walk the shops in China TownOther Activities - Camel rides on the beach
A luxury resort situated steps away from the white sands of Cable Beach. Large, elegant rooms with private terraces and pavillions with own kitchen, dining and lap pools. A spa enables total relaxation, whilst a tropical oasis surrounds the outdoor infinity pool. Romantic with a family feel. See More
Windmills Break Margaret River 13 rooms from £162Wine tastingGreat walks - Yallingup beachRestrictions on children - No childrenHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Recommended by - I Escape
This luxury B&B is set in 10 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens. Near to many local wineries and stunning beaches. Contemporary, inviting bedrooms and hospitable friendly staff. Gourmet breakfasts on the terrace. A relaxing oasis with a gorgeous pool, outdoor spa and tennis court. See More
McAlpine House Broome 8 rooms from £169Learning - Malcolm Douglas Crocodile Park and Animal RefugeFishing - Hotel have info on local fishing toursSights nearby - Visit the Horizontal FallsOther Activities - Visit the local pearl farm
Cape Lodge Margaret River 22 rooms from £203Swimming Pool - Free form outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Must be 8 or overCooking classes - Check for timings.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors, Tablet
Set in the Margaret River region amid its own vines, this luxury lodge caters to every need. Traditional rooms ooze elegance and have glorious views over the gardens and lake. Surf, hike, cycle, swim and learn to cook in these beautiful surroundings. A luxury base for exploring the region. See More
The Richardson Hotel & Spa Perth 74 rooms from £298Sights nearby - Within easy walking distance of the Swan River, Kings Park, Perth Zoo and CBDSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorBoutiqueSpaRecommended by - Tablet
Como The Treasury Perth 48 rooms from £323City Style - Bang in the centre of Perth, with stunning interiors, classic style and phenomanal rooftop restaurant overlooking the Swan.Total relaxation - Unwind in style with spoiling bathrooms, pampering treatments in the Shambhala spa and cocktails and canapes at the bar.Sights nearby - The hotel is on Perth’s Cathedral Square, hop across the road to check out this famed sight.Great walks - Take your pick from the lovely Kings Park or the Botanic Garden.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
One time government building, turned luxury downtown hotel, with a grand colonial feel. Spacious, elegant bedrooms and suites feature luxurious bathrooms and views of the river. Two fine dining restaurants and a smart cocktail bar. The hotel also boasts a large spa and swimming pool with city views. See More
Injidup Spa Retreat Margaret River (Yallingup) 10 rooms from £331Great walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Big game and deep sea fishingSwimming Pool - Each with private plunge poolViews - Ocean viewsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Sal Salis Exmouth, Western Australia 9 rooms from £380Snorkelling - A guided introductory snorkel and use of equipment is included in the priceViews - Stunning views of land and seaAll inclusive - Price quoted includes all meals and selected drinksKayaking - Explore the reef by kayakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Berkeley River Lodge Oombulgurri, Western Australia 20 rooms from £840All inclusive - Price quoted includes gourmet cuisine and selected drinks and toursViews - 180-degree panoramas from Joseph Bonaparte Gulf to Reveley Island, and from the Berkeley River to the red gorges behindFishing - Heli-fishing, river and estuary fishing, beach and boat fishingOutstanding location - Villas on 65m hugh duneRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
El Questro Homestead Western Australia 9 rooms from £1000Views - On cliff top overlooking Chamberlain River gorgeAll inclusive - Price quoted includes gourmet cuisine and all drinks including top notch wines.Restrictions on children - No children under 12 yearsGreat walks - Guided gorge walksRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A tropical oasis in the rugged landscape of El Questro Wilderness Park. Nine suites offer comfort, luxury and privacy, plus breathtaking views over the Chamberlain River. The perfect place to explore the best of the region’s swimming holes, waterfalls, rainforest and rock formations. See More