Search the best hotels in Heron Island
About Heron Island
Around a third of Heron Island is taken up with the resort, and the rest of it is beautifully unspoiled vegetation. Plus a research station for the University of Queensland. This has been one of Australia’s most secluded and unique resorts since the 1930s, a beautiful coral cay surrounded by deep waters, home to numerous rare birds and a nesting site for green and loggerhead turtles. There’s only one choice when it comes to the best places to stay in Heron Island.
It’s only about 800metres long, so there’s no space for more than one resort, but that is part of the charm of the place. It’s a real opportunity to escape. And maybe do a bit of diving or snorkelling as well.
What Not To Miss
- One of the most popular activities to do is scuba diving. Heron Island is known as one of the best dive resorts in Australia with over twenty different dive sites.
- Alternatively, snorkelling is also an option with the clear waters teeming with marine-life and coral.
- There's also plenty of wildlife to see above the water with guided bird and turtle walks.
- Or to totally unwind, enjoy a range of spa treatments at the island's spa for true remote relaxation.
As there's only one option, the best place to stay in Heron Island can get booked up well in advance. So if you want to visit, do yourself a favour and plan well ahead.
The best places to stay in Heron Island
For secluded luxury
- The Heron Island resort is a once in a lifetime destination designed to help you get the most out of your spectacular surroundings. There are 109 luxurious rooms, but you’re without a TV or internet access, so you have to look around you and take advantage of the free guided walks focussing on the island’s ecology and birdlife.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a selection of properties in nearby Gladstone on the mainland.
- Fly to Gladstone Airport located 9.8km (6 miles) from Gladstone with flights to Brisbane and Cairns amongst other destinations. Visitors can then catch a seaplane to Heron Island from the airport.
- Alternatively, catch a boat to Heron Island with daily sailings from Gladstone.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the mainland - click here for prices and booking with our online partner, Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - from October to December for hot temperatures.
Still not sure what to book?
Best Hotels in Heron Island
Heron Island Heron Island 109 rooms from £154
The location of this resort cannot be beaten - Heron Island is a World Heritage listed site surrounded by coral reef, and a wildlife haven. Guests are invited to switch off from the outside world (there's no internet or tv in the luxurious rooms) and explore this breathtakingly beautiful place.Great walks - Free guided reef walks, island ecology walks and bridlife walksOutstanding location - Island is surrounded by a reefViews - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Fodors