- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Bernstein im Burgenland
Search the best hotels in Bernstein im Burgenland
About Bernstein im Burgenland
Bernstein is a small town of 2,300 souls in the Burgenland region of Eastern Austria close to the border with Hungary. Here is our gurus guide as to where are the best places to stay in Bernstein im Burgenland to explore the history and great outdoors.
The town is most notable for its ‘schloss’ which is perched 2,000 feet above sea level overlooking the Hungarian lowlands. The castle has a rich history dating back to the thirteenth century. It is owned by the Almasy family whose forebear Laszlo (1895-1951} was a pioneer aviator, motor racer and desert explorer (he claimed to have discovered the legendary city of Zerzura in Africa). A highly fictionalised version of his life was the subject of the film ‘The English Patient’. Aside from historical interests, this is a most beautiful part of Austria - ideal for walking, cycling, hiking or touring the vineyards.
what not to miss
- Explore the Bernstein Castle, which is rich in history and dates back to the 13th century.
- Have fun in the beautiful outdoors, the most popular amongst tourists tend to be walking, hiking and touring the vineyards.
The best places to stay in Bernstein im Burgenland are perfect for the ultimate ‘getaway’ experience.
For a Castle with a View
- Run by the Almasy family, the spectacular Burg Bernstein has commanding 360 degree views over Austria and Hungary. The castle and its gardens are lovingly maintained by the owners who run part of it as a 10 bedroomed hotel. The rooms are large and filled with antiques and heirlooms. The hostess is a renowned chef. This is the perfect rural escape!
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner, Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Vienna International Airport is an 80 minute drive away
- To enjoy the best of the weather while in the outdoors it is recomended to holiday here in the summer months from June till September when temperatures are around 18-23 degrees
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos for the best prices.
still not sure where to book?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Bernstein im Burgenland
- Explore alternatives in the local area, for instance Sebersdorf.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Bernstein im Burgenland
Burg Bernstein 10 rooms from $194Bernstein im Burgenland
A striking castle overlooking the Hungarian lowlands. Carefully renovated throughout to keep the building's original charm. Enormous rooms (and almost even larger bathrooms) are traditional in style and filled with antiques. Regional Austrian cuisine uses local produce. A unique property.Country Escape - A magical rural escape steeped in history and boasting stunning scenery.Active Holiday - Wonderful hiking and cycling country.Great walks - Miles of tracks to be explored in the woods surrounding the castle.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.