- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Durnstein
Durnstein is a small town on the Danube in the Wachau region of Lower Austria. The guru's best places to stay in Durnstein are perfect for both exploring the great outdoors and wine tasting in the region.
The area is famous for its wine growing and picturesque landscape, and connoisseurs and epicureans come from far and wide to sample the fine wines on offer.
The town was established in 1019 and has been described as the ‘most romantic place...in the Wachau’. It’s scenic beauty is the stuff of picture postcards, and the town is overlooked by the evocative ruins of the medieval castle Burgruine Durnstein.
The castle is embroiled in rich history, during the third crusade King Richard I was held there after his dispute with the Austrian Duke Leopold. A few centuries later in the 17th century it was almost completely destroyed by the Swedish empire in 1645. Luckily the castle was rebuilt from 1710.
What not to miss
- The ancient Durnstein castle which is home to a great array of history from around the local area, while also a great piece of old architecture to be admired
- Wine lovers must not miss the tasting opportunities in the area, with ithe many vineyards around the town.
Our best places to stay in Durnstein are great places to relax while also close enough to explore the local area.
The best places to stay in Durnstein
For a relaxing getaway
- The Hotel Schloss Durnstein is a great place to completely switch off and recharge your batteries. The Hotel is awash with grand saunas and spa areas making for a very relaxing stay while also being a stone's throw from the local sights.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Vienna International Airport is only 50 miles away from Durnstein
- The best time to come and make the most of the sunny weather is in the summer months between May and September when the temperatures range from 17-21 degrees celcius.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Durnstein
- Look at alternatives in the local area, for instance, Krems and Spitz
- Or contact one of our gurus for advice
Best Hotels in Durnstein
Hotel Schloss Durnstein 45 rooms from £166Durnstein
A 17th century schloss in the Wachau Valley offers a unique holiday experience. Its grand, lavish rooms are steeped in the history of the bygone Hapsburg era. Situated on the banks of the Danube, it affords fantastic views of the river and the surrounding World Heritage Site. An Austrian delight.Hideaway - Historic charm meets modern comforts in this castle hotel- think sauna, steam bath, terrace restaurant and pampering suites.Great walks - At the heart of the Wachau World Heritage Site, with wonderful walking along the Danube.Full of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor