Search the best hotels in Ellmau
A popular ski village on the northern side of the massive SkiWelt, Austria's largest skiing area, Ellmau is the ideal destination for a family skiing holiday. With stunning views of the snow-crowned Wilder Kaiser massif, this quaint Alpine village still retains its traditional aesthetic in spite of modern developments and is as picturesque as it is entertaining, boasting an enormous modern leisure centre alongside rustic 17th century farmhouses. Our collection of the best places to stay in Ellmau has something for everyone, from quaint rustic stays to contemporary hotels.
Ellmau's heritage has roots that run deep. A historic farming settlement dating back to the 12th century, it was an important stopping point for travellers going between Worgl and St. Johann on the old route to Salzburg, and it was even a focal point of the struggle between Napolean's armies and the Austrian mountain soldiers. Many of the buildings - from old chalets and farmhouses to timbered barns and granary stores - date back to the 17th century. The Hotel Alte Poste, for example, was the first post office in the village, built in 1616, and the building - though now a hotel - is still owned and managed by the descendants of the first postmasters.
There is much to do here, in both the winter and summer. With access to well over 280km of ski runs in the SkiWelt area, is it ideally placed for a family skiing holiday, and the runs cater to all ages and levels of experience. During the summer, the tree-lined slopes of the Wilder Kaiser teem with hikers and bikers. For a fun afternoon outing with the kids, be sure to take them to the KaiserBad Leisure Centre, which boasts not only pools and waterslides, but climbing walls, tennis courts and a top-of-the-range wellness centre - the perfect place to go after a tiring day of hiking or skiing.
What not to miss
- Enjoy skiing on the 280km-worth of pistes in the SkiWelt area behind Ellmau.
- Feeling brave? Attempt to conquer the Wilder Kaiser mountain range.
- Take the kids for a fun afternoon at the KaiserBad Leisure Centre, enjoying the waterslides and wellness centre.
- Visit the Hotel Alte Poste, a building dating back to 1616.
- Find some solace in the picturesque church in the centre of the village.
This is a popular spot, particularly during school-holidays, so to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Ellmau we recommend booking well in advance.
The best places to stay in Ellmau
- Hotel Der Bar: a stylish hotel with contemporary rooms, offering a gourmet restaurant and a pampering spa ideal for unwinding in after a long day on the slopes. Great for couples.
- Biohotel Stranglwirt: a 5* chalet with spacious pinewood rooms, 6 restaurants, an extensive spa, indoor and outdoor pools, stables and tennis courts. Totally divine.
- Sporthotel Ellmau: offering chic and spacious rooms with gorgeous views, a golf course, a gourmet restaurant serving sumptuous regional fare and a pampering spa.
- Hotel Hoch Filzer: a beautifully-renovated farmhouse with a focus on health-living, offering an extensive wellness centre, stylish and modern rooms and a restaurant serving high-quality organic cuisine.
- Hotel Kaiserhof: a breathtaking 5* hotel in a spellbinding setting, offering large light guestrooms and suites big enough for a family. Boasting a spa, gym, 5 restaurants and an indoor swimming pool.
- Hotel Christoph: the quintessential family-orientated hotel, offering bright and elegant rooms, not to mention an incredible childcare package including rock climbing and cooking classes, (meanwhile parents can relax in the spa!)
- Cordial Sporthotel: the very best of Alpine-living. Offering simple, pleasant individually-styled rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows boasting enchanting views of the mountains. There is a cosy restaurant, spoiling spa and a games room ideal for keeping the kids entertained.
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Salzburg Airport, from where you can get a bus or taxi to Ellmau, the journey taking 1h 15 minutes.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go depends on what you want to do. In terms of winter activities, like skiing, the best time is between January and March, when the temperature ranges between -1 and 6 degrees. During the summer months, the temperature can reach highs of up to 21 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ellmau
Hotel Der Bär Ellmau 52 rooms from £96
This stylish contemporary hotel offers up the perfect balance between activity and relaxation. Put you ski boots on in the morning and unwind in the evening in the extensive spa. An award-winning restaurant with stunning panoramic views will appease your appetite. A wondrous alpine experience.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorBack to Nature - Beautiful landscape of Ellmau surrounds the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelSpa
Hotel Hoch Filzer Ellmau 60 rooms from £100
A beautifully renovated farmhouse, turned ultimate centre of tranquility. Focused on healthy living, the hotel's restaurant uses organic local food and the spa aims to create an ambience of wellness. With great skiing on its doorstep, it makes for an ideal holiday destination.Active Holiday - Ideally situated for skiing in the winter, and also has opportunities for horse riding, cycling and hiking in summer.Total relaxation - This serene lodge offers fantastic spa treatments, sauna, mountain views and a wonderful healthy eating restaurant.Great walks - The hotel offers guided walks and hikes through the stunning Wilder Kaiser mountains.Spa - Strong focus on wellness and hydrotherapy.
Hotel Kaiserhof Ellmau 38 rooms from £116
Five star ski hotel with views of the Wilder Kaiser Mountain. Large guestrooms have creamy furnishings, modern bathrooms and suites are big enough for a family. There's a spa, sauna, gym and indoor swimming pool. Five restaurants, each with stylish ambience. Delightful and friendly.Active Holiday - Fantastic ski-to-door facilities, with spa and terraces to relax after a day on the slopesGreat walks - Enjoy a Nordic walking tripViews - Great views from hotelSpa
Hotel Christoph Ellmau 68 rooms from £158
An action-packed hotel with a speciality for family orientated fun. Offers all day child care packed with activities for children, including rock climbing and cooking classes. Parents can relax in the state of the art spa centre. With skiing on tap, it's the ideal family destination.Families - Well equipped for families with a childrens swimming pool and waterslide, and plenty of kid friendly activities.Total relaxation - Make the most of the peace and quiet with indulgent spa treatments, sauna, hot tub and organic cuisine.Great walks - In the summer months this area boasts magnificent walks through flower filled valleys and mountain sides.Spa - Spa centre focuses on wellness as well as beauty and massage therapy.
Sporthotel Ellmau Ellmau 147 rooms from £156
A grand and luxurious hotel designed for outdoor pursuits, on the edge of Wilder Kaiser-Brixental ski area. Feast on traditional Austrian cuisine and Tyrolean specialities. This hotel has all bases covered with comfortable rooms, stunning views, an extensive spa and a 27 hole golf course.Active Holiday - Ellmau is famed for its outdoor pursuits such as skiing, hiking and biking, enjoy easy access to them all.Views - Great views from hotelSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Cordial Sporthotel Ellmau 40 rooms from £162
A picture perfect chalet sitting pretty right on the slopes. Simple, individually styled rooms, with floor to ceiling windows for breathtaking views. A cosy restaurant serves regional cuisine. With a glorious spa for post-activity unwinding, it's an excellent option for active getaways and families.Active Holiday - As the name suggests this is a hotel for sport enthusiasts, with skiing, hiking, biking and golf within easy reach.Families - A great spot for a family holiday with activities for children arranged both in and out of the hotel.Full of characterRemote - Off the beaten track.
Biohotel Stanglwirt Ellmau from £234
Five star chalet by the ‘Wilder Kaiser’ mountain. Large rooms in pine with chic, creamy furnishings. Six restaurants, extensive spa, indoor and outdoors pools, choice of saunas and relaxation rooms. Driving range, stables and tennis courts. Outstanding service: Alpine style luxury and rejuvenation.Honeymoons - Outstanding facilities: spa, indoor & outdoor rock pools, saunas, salt grotto, marble steam rooms and endless sports activitiesSkiing - Wilder Kaiser Brixental region, and hotel has a ski schoolGreat walks - Nordic Walking trips and training available from hotelKids Club - Fully staffed.