Search the best hotels in Hallstatt
A picturesque Austrian village nestling by Lake Hallstatt, Hallstatt is arguably one of the most beautiful places in the world. In the shadow of great snow-crowned mountains, the village is the longest still-inhabited village in the world and the surrounding area is UNESCO-protected. A favourite of poets and mountain climbers alike, visitors can enjoy exploring the ancient salt mine, ice caves of Dachstein and taking romantic ferry rides across the lake. Our list of the best places to stay in Hallstatt has something for everyone from chic boutique to lovely rural stays.
Referred to as "the pearl of Austria", Hallstatt is famous for both the beauty of its architecture and the enchanting scenery that surrounds it. The traditional salt mining village dates back 800 years before Christ, and the salt mines that made its fame and fortune are the world's oldest. The village features houses that are built into the mountain rock, and it sits by a lake whose waters mirror the sky. Indeed, Hallstatt is such an internationally-renowned place of outstanding beauty that the Chinese have created a carbon-copy of the village for themselves!
There is much to do in the way of sightseeing. Much activity centres around Lake Hallstatt, so be sure to book a ferry ride across it to best drink-in the gorgeous scenery of mountains scraping against the sky. Across the lake lies the Ice Caves of Dachstein, a fascinating (and rather cold) place to explore, featuring ice waterfalls, ponds and underground lakes - so be sure to bring a thick winter coat! Visiting the Hallstatt salt mines is also a must: you can explore the underground lake, see a mummified prehistoric miner preserved in salt and enjoy the local museum - whose exhibits boast artefacts over 700 years old!
What not to miss
- Book a boat trip across the lake and drink in the gorgeous scenery.
- Visit the Ice Caves of Dachstein.
- Explore the Hallstatt salt mines - the oldest salt mines in the world.
- Walk around the museum, admiring artefacts that are over 700 years old.
- Hike through the beautiful UNESCO-protected landscape.
Picturesque and quaint, Hallstatt is the perfect place to go to get away from it all. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Hallstatt to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Hallstatt
- Landhaus Koller: a beautiful country house set amidst rolling hills, offering rooms with exposed wooden beams, pine furniture and roaring fireplaces. Enjoy the gourmet restaurant and the heated outdoor pool. A perfect rural hideaway.
- Hallstatt Hideaway: a small luxurious mountain retreat, set in idyllic surroundings. The beautiful designer streets boast the best of modern craftsmanship, adorned with furniture made from salvaged wood. The hotel boasts hot tubs and a sauna. Perfect place for hikers and bikers!
- Haus Salzkammergut: surrounded by gorgeous terrain, this charming B&B offers simple and homely rooms adorned with pinewood furniture and boasting enchanting views of the lake and mountains; expect generous breakfasts, and plenty of activities.
- Seewirt Zauner: a charming townhouse offering rooms with sublime views, adorned in a bright and contemporary style that blends with traditional Alpine aesthetics. Enjoy the restaurant and the breathtaking views from private balconies! Perfect for couples.
- Seehotel Gruner Baum: facing the lovely market square, this beautiful hotel offers rooms that seamlessly blend unfussy Alpine styles with chic decor. Enjoy the fabulous gourmet restaurant, drinks terrace and panoramic views!
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer, to best enjoy the spellbinding scenery. The temperature, then, tends to flit between 12 and 25 degrees.
- Fly to either Salzburg or Vienna; from either of these cities, take an Austrian National OBB train to Attnang-Puchheim, from where you can transfer to the local REX train toward Hallstatt. The Attnang-Puchheim train station is 50 minutes from Salzburg and 135 minutes from Vienna.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Hallstatt
Haus Salzkammergut Hallstatt (4831 Obertraun) 5 rooms from £104
A charming alpine B&B near the beautiful Halstatt lake with wonderful mountain and lake views. All rooms are furnished in a simple, homely style with pine furniture and matching bedding. Expect generous breakfast spreads, a warm welcome and gorgeous alpine terrain to explore.Back to Nature - Surrounded by beautiful mountains, close to UNESCO listed Halstatt with its stunning lake, an ideal spot for an escape to natureViews - Great views from hotelGreat walks - From rolling Austrian meadows, to clear lakes, endless vistas and mountain peaks; there are many hiking options nearbySights nearby - Visit the Dachstein Ice Cave, the Bone House and Cemetery, Hallstatt Salt Mine and Rudolph’s Tower and Skywalk
Landhaus Koller Hallstatt (Gosau) 22 rooms from £142
An alpine country house, complete with seasonal outdoor pool, set among lush gardens and rolling hills, with a lovely lake nearby. Rustic interiors feature pine furniture, wooden beams and fireplaces. An atmospheric restaurant serves up regional classics. The ideal alpine hideaway or skiing base!Active Holiday - An alpine hotel ideal for active skiing holidays in the winter or hiking breaks in the summerGreat walks - From rolling Austrian meadows, to gentle clear lakes, endless vistas and mountain peaks, there are many hiking options nearbySights nearby - Visit the nearby Dachstein Ice Cave, the Bone House and Cemetery and Rudolph’s Tower and SkywalkSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Seewirt Zauner 830 Hallstatt 12 rooms from £155
A charming alpine townhouse hotel with a restaurant serving hearty traditional cuisine. Rooms are in keeping with the local alpine aesthetic, with furniture and beds made from lovely Swiss stone pine. All rooms offer stunning mountain or lake views and the best have gorgeous balconies.Back to Nature - In the heart of UNESCO listed Halstatt and surrounded by mountains and lakes, ideal for nature retreatsGreat walks - From rolling Austrian meadows, to picturesque lakes and mountain peaks; there are numerous hiking trails to enjoySights nearby - Visit the Dachstein Ice Cave, the Bone House and Cemetery, Hallstatt Salt Mine and Rudolph’s Tower and SkywalkSecluded setting - For escaping.
Seehotel Gruner Baum Hallstatt (Marktpl. 104) 23 rooms from £196
A historic village hotel with panoramic Alpine and lake views, facing the quaint village market square, with an unfussy yet smart Austrian aesthetic. Rooms have great views, some with balconies, and matching patterned furnishings. Don't miss the restaurant boasting local cuisine and fresh fish.Back to Nature - A nature retreat set in the World Heritage town of Hallstatt on the shores of Lake Hallstatt with an epic Alpine backdropGreat walks - Wander through the Dachstein Ice Caves; the ice palaces of Dachstein count as one of the greatest natural wonders of the AlpsSights nearby - Hallstatt Salt Mine, Rudolf’s Tower, the Catholic Parish Church and the Bone House are all easily accessibleSecluded setting - For escaping.
Hallstatt Hideaway Hallstatt 5 rooms from £244
An idyllic alpine retreat comprising of beautifully designed suites. Historic architecture blends with contemporary craftsmanship with much of the furniture made from salvaged wood, creating a sophisticated rustic charm. Boasting terrace hot tubs and a sauna. Rural perfection.Hideaway - A haven of peace, set besides a lake and surrounded by mountainsGreat walks - From rolling Austrian meadows, to gentle clear lakes, endless vistas and mountain peaks, there are many hiking options nearbySights nearby - The Dachstein Ice Cave, the Bone House and Cemetery, Hallstatt Salt Mine and Rudolph’s Tower are all within easy reachRestrictions on children - Children 12 and older are allowed