Search the best hotels in Weissensee
At the foot of the Gailtal Alps is Lake Weissensee, an area of astounding natural beauty and therapeutic potential. Known to have the cleanest waters in Carinthia, that can reach temperatures of up to 25 degrees during the summertime, its shores are peppered with farmhouses and inns, camping grounds and hotels, all of which provide access to the lake and many of which are the best places to stay in Weissensee.
A declared and protected nature park, Weissensee was awarded the European Prize for Tourism and the Environment in recent years On the eastern shore lies the township of Stockenboi, where you can find a beach, volleyball court and changing rooms, not to mention the beautiful Baroque 15th century church of St. Nicholas.
During the winter, the lake becomes the largest natural ice surface in Europe: activities like ice-skating and ice hockey are played on the ice, while brave visitors attempt scubadiving beneath the hardened surface. Around the lake, in the foothills and forests surrounding it, you can go winter hiking or even book a horse-drawn sleigh ride: keen skiers will enjoy the cross-country tracks too.
During the summer, the world changes. The snow recedes and melts, the valleys become lush and green and populated with wildflower and the ice melts on the lake, leaving it perfect for diving, cliff-jumping, waterskiing and surfing; sailing and canoeing are also popular pastimes here.
What not to miss
- There are numerous tracks around the lake, ideal for either hikes or discovering on two wheels.
- Enjoy a leisurely cruise on the Lake. The boats run from May to October.
- In the winter, enjoy conquering the cross-country ski trails, or why not a book a horse-drawn sleigh ride?
- Visit the 15th century Baroque church of St. Nicholas in Stockenboi.
- If you're there in the summer, enjoy sailing, surfing or wakeboarding on the lake.
A place of calm and rejuvenation, Weissensee is the perfect holiday getaway. A lake surrounded by majestic mountains and lush flowered valleys, it is an area of real beauty. Book now by browsing our list of the best places to stay in Weissensee!
The best places to stay in Weissensee
- Seehotel Enzian enjoys an enviable position overlooking the lake, and offers spacious contemporary rooms with fabulous views, an extensive lakeside spa and a sumtpuous restaurant. Ideal for couples!
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- If you're visiting in the winter, the temperature ranges between -7 and 9 degrees; during the summer, it can reach up to 24 degrees and the lake can reach up to 25 degrees!
- Fly to Klagenfurt Airport, 1.5 hours away, and catch a train to Greifenberg, from where you can get a shuttle transfer to Weissensee, only 10km away.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Carinthia
- or Austria
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Weissensee
Seehotel Enzian Neusach, Weissensee 20 rooms from £156
Seehotel Enzian is a charming hotel on the picturesque banks of Weissensee. Its rooms are spacious and comfortable and many boast fantastic views of the lake. Luxuriate in the brand-new lakeside spa and in the summer bathe in Alps highest swimming lake. A wondrous waterside retreat.Total relaxation - A lakeside retreat with pampering spa, sauna, steam bath, terraces facing the water and comfortable suites.Great walks - Enjoy the range of beautiful walking routes around Weissen lake.Birdwatching - Weissen lake offers excellent birdwatching opportunities.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.