Search the best hotels in Weissensee
Nestled at the foot of the Gailtal Alps, picturesque Lake Weissensee offers summer and winter activities aplenty, making this a brilliant base for romantic escapes or fun family trips. Accommodation options range from farmhouses to camping grounds and pretty hotels, peppered along the shores of the lake. The best places to stay in Weissensee feature beautiful lake views, and easy access to the many outdoor activities available in this striking Austrian destination.
Famed for having the cleanest waters in Carinthia, Weissensee has become a hugely popular pick with outdoorsy adventurers, and was recently awarded the European Prize for Tourism and the Environment. On the lake’s eastern shore sits the town of Stockenboi, home to a beach, volleyball court and changing rooms, as well as the lovely Baroque church of St Nicholas — well worth a visit.
Winter travellers can hit the Alpine foothills and forests on snowy hikes, horse-drawn sleigh rides or cross-country skiing tracks. The lake itself freezes over to become the largest natural ice surface in Europe, perfect for ice-skating and ice hockey. Only the most daring scuba-dive beneath the lake's hardened surface, however — it’s quite a feat!
Those visiting in the summer months, on the other hand, will find that the snow has receded to reveal lush green valleys filled with wildflowers, ideal for hiking, whilst the lake-side paths make wonderful cycling routes. The highest of the Carinthian bathing lakes, Weissensee's waters reach temperatures of up to 25°C in July and August -- great for watersports. Try diving, cliff-jumping, waterskiing and sailing, join a leisurely lake cruise (running from May to October), or simply unwind in the shade with a good book after a lively day!
Whether you’re dreaming of ice-skating on fresh, wintry mornings or envisaging lazy afternoons canoeing in the sunshine, Weissensee is a wonderful base for an active family holiday or a relaxing couples’ retreat. Our pick of the best places to stay in Weissensee is right on the lake, promising fantastic food and a rejuvenating spa with views across the water.
The best places to stay in Weissensee
For a lakeside retreat
- Seehotel Enzian enjoys an enviable lakeside position, offering cosy, contemporary rooms with fabulous views. The extensive spa (also facing the lake) is ideal for unwinding, the sumptuous restaurant serves top-notch regional cuisine, and there are acitivites aplenty for summer or winter visitors. Superb for couples or families!
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Klagenfurt Airport (1.5 hours from Weissensee), before catching a train to Greifenberg. There are regular shuttle buses from there to Weissensee, just 10km away.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car. There's so much to see in the area, and the flexibility of your own transport is a huge bonus.
- Weissensee is a beautiful year-round destination. Visit between December and February for temperatures of -7°C to -9°C, when the lake freezes over. Come during the summer months (July and August) for sunshine and temperatures around 24°C - perfect for wild swimming!
Still not sure?
- Explore our pick of the best places to stay in Carinthia.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our recommendations for the best places to stay in Austria.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Weissensee
Best Hotels in Weissensee
Seehotel Enzian Neusach, Weissensee 20 rooms from £156Total relaxation - A lakeside retreat with pampering spa, sauna, steam bath, terraces facing the water and comfortable suites.Great walks - Enjoy the range of beautiful walking routes around Weissen lake.Tennis - Make the most of the hotel's picturesque lakeside tennis court.Birdwatching - Weissen lake offers excellent birdwatching opportunities.
Seehotel Enzian is a charming hotel on the picturesque banks of Weissensee. Its rooms are spacious and comfortable and many boast fantastic views of the lake. Luxuriate in the brand-new lakeside spa and in the summer bathe in Alps highest swimming lake. A wondrous waterside retreat. See More