Search the best hotels in Ypres
Ypres, in the West Flanders area of Belgium, is nowadays irrevocably associated with the First World War and the three major battles that took place there. There is, however, much more to this city and the best places to stay in Ypres are ideal starting points for exploring its sights and delights!
The war of 1914-18 still casts a long shadow. Ypres was a strategic stronghold. There were half a million casualties at the final battle at Passchendaele,and the town has since become a symbol for the suffering and sacrifice of the war. The Menin Gate is an iconic and fitting memorial to 54,000 soldiers of the British Empire whose remains were never found. Traffic is stopped every evening at the gate at 8pm and the Last Post sounded.
Aside from battlefield and cemetery tours, Ypres has an interesting past. In the middle ages it was a hub for the European textile industry, and it is mentioned in the Canterbury Tales. The Cloth Hall, which dates from the thirteenth century, is a must visit as is St. Martins Cathedral. Every three years there is a ‘cat parade’ which hearkens back to the middle ages and witchcraft - this is a very colourful and fun event! In addition, the town is host to the Ypres-Westhoek rally, the Tour de France, and a Punk rock festival - truly something for everyone!
What not to miss
- The Menin Gate
- Cloth Hall - this was completely rebuilt after WW1 to its original design
- The Cat Parade (every three years)
- Battlefield tours
- The town's numerous shops and cafes, where you can indulge in famous Belgian chocolate and beer!
But don't forget to plan well ahead if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Ypres, this is a popular destination whatever the season.
The best places to stay in Ypres
For Central Location
- Main Street Hotel is a six bedroom hotel which occupies a charming spot bang in the historic centre of Ypres. The rooms are all spacious and individually decorated. The atmosphere is welcoming and intimate. Extensive buffet breakfast.
For an aparment
- If you think that you'd prefer a self catering option, visit our online patner, booking.com, where you'll find a comprehensive selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Ypres is easily accessible by rail. Take the Eurostar to either Lille or Brussels and then pick up a local connection.
- The nearest airport to Ypres is at Lille, 26 miles away.
- If you wish to hire a car and see more of the surrounding area, we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ypres
Hostellerie Kemmelberg 23 rooms from £91Ypres (8956 Kemmel)
Stylish 4-star hotel atop Mount Kemmel near Ypres, offering panoramic views of the Plain of Flanders. Ideal for great walks, cycling or exploring WWI sites. Rooms are cleanly designed and contemporary yet are styled with natural materials. A luxurious rural escape.Local exploring - A fantastic starting point for exploring the battlefields of Ypres, Flanders Field and the historic town of Bruges.Sights nearby - A prime location for exploring the battlefields in and around Ypres.Views - Great views from hotel
Main Street Hotel 6 rooms from £123Ypres (Leper/Ypres)
Hotel Main Street is a charming spot in the historic centre of Ypres. The spacious, individually decorated rooms feature flat-screen TVs and free wifi. Wake up each morning to an extensive and delicious buffet breakfast before heading off exploring the area. A charming and intimate stay!Local exploring - Main Street Hotel is located in the centre of Ypres, the perfect base from which to explore the townShort fly break - It's just 25 miles from both Lille and Ostend-Bruges Airports-ideal for short tripsSights nearby - The Hill 60 WWI battlefield memorial site is definitely worth a visitQuirky - An experience!Recommended by - Tablet