Search the best hotels in La Paz
About La Paz
Nestling in a valley between two towering Andean peaks, La Paz is the highest administrative capital of the world, standing at 3,600m high! An exotic and colourful chaotic mess of narrow winding streets, old colonial facades and incense-heavy churches, shamanic open-air markets and rowdy all-female indigenous wrestling matches, the city is an urban jungle bereft of any obvious touristy sights. But therein lies the charm. The city itself is a museum of colour and tradition, and it boasts - according to several guides - one of the best nightlifes in the world for backpackers. Ideally placed between the Amazon and the Andes, La Paz is the perfect stepping stone for exploring the wider region, whether you're taking a day trip to the gorgeous mountain lakes of Tuni Condoriri or Palca Canyon. If you're interested, enjoy browsing our list of the best places to stay in La Paz!
What not to miss
- Take the Mi Teleferico cablecar system across the city!
- Watch some indigenous cholitas, (costumed female wrestlers) wrestle in El Alto.
- Explore Palca Canyon or Tuni Condoriri on a day trip!
- Visit the Feria 16 de Julio, Latin America's biggest open-air market, where you can buy anything from SUV's to herbal remedies.
- Check out the National Museum of Ethnography and Folklore, and immerse yourself in the local El Alto culture!
- Walk down Calle Jaen, La Paz's most well preserved colonial street, and visit some of the boutiques, galleries and museums there.
- Buy some shamanic potions, powders and amulets from the Mercado de las Brujas - the Witches Market!
Colourful, wild and brimming with life, La Paz is the perfect place for young backpackers looking for a truly authentic South American experience. Find out more by checking out our collection of the best places to stay in La Paz!
The best places to stay in La Paz
- Stannum Boutique Hotel & Spa: offering chic and minimalist rooms adorned with crisp metallic colour schemes, with spellbinding views of the city, and a pampering spa. Ideal for young couples.
- Atix Hotel: sleek and modern, boasting fantastic views over the city, offering beautifully-designed minimalist suites. Enjoy a drink at the trendy bar, fine-dine at the gourmet restaurant or take a dip in the pool. Cosmopolitan luxury at its finest.
- Casa Grande: a gorgeous hotel on the outskirts of the city, offering stylish and chic-modern rooms, an atmospheric cocktail bar, gourmet restaurant and a pampering spa. Perfect for couples looking for relaxation and intimacy.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is between March and April, when the temperature ranges between 6 and 18 degrees; during the summer months, the temperature reaches as low as -1 degrees, and there is heavy rainfall.
- Fly to El Alto International Airport, 8 miles from La Paz, and get a shuttle bus to the city centre.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The cablecar system of Mi Telegerico is great for hopping around the chaotic city.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in La Paz
Stannum Boutique Hotel & Spa 40 rooms from £80La Paz (Torre Multicine)
Stylish, contemporary hotel overlooking the city of La Paz. The aesthetic is definitively chic with minimalist rooms and crisp, metallic colour schemes. Its standout feature is the staggering views out over the city. Its location and business centre make it a good option for conference use.Great walks - Beautiful walking through the nearby Botanic Gardens.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Metropolitan Cathedral La Paz.Local markets - Explore the bustling La Paz street markets.Lively - Hip and happening.
Casa Grande 65 rooms from £110La Paz (Calacoto)
Exuding a chic modernity, Casa Grande is a superb hotel on the outskirts of La Paz. Boasting stylish rooms, an atmospheric cocktail bar, an excellent restaurant and a range of beauty treatments, it's a great place to retreat to after exploring Bolivia's capital. A sleek stay.Total relaxation - With a deluxe pool and a range of hydrotherapy treatments on offer, it's a great place to relax.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the Bolivian capital of La Paz.Great walks - Excellent walking in the nearby Cota Cota Park.Sights nearby - Visit the Metropolitan Cathedral La Paz.
Atix Hotel 53 rooms from £129La Paz (between Julio Patiño and Sánchez Bustamante Calaco)
A sleek design hotel boasting epic panoramic views. Beautifully designed suites and rooms are minimalist in style; think chic panelled head-boards, contemporary bathrooms and pops of colour set against a white background. Dine on modern Bolivian cuisine and sip cocktails in the hip bar. Fabulous.City Style - A design hotel for the uber hip. Sip on cocktails, revel in the sleek architecture and dine on fine cuisine.Local markets - Pick up local handicrafts at the Witches Market.Sights nearby - Marvel at the views from Tupac Katari Mirador.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Design Hotels