Search the best hotels in Ilha Grande
About Ilha Grande
Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2019, Ilha Grande is a verdant island off the coast of Rio de Janeiro State, famous for its biodiversity and conservation efforts. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, with guesthouses and B&Bs aplenty to suit a whole range of budgets. Our selection of the best places to stay in Ilha Grande focuses on eco-minded spots with a little something special — from rustic red-tiled rooms brimming with laid-back charm to chalets tucked away in the jungle with views of the turquoise sea.
This is a magical place to visit: lush rainforest fills most of the island, motor vehicles are banned and a conscious effort is being made to focus on eco-tourism, preserving the natural environment as much as possible. Following a fascinating past as a pirate’s hideout, penitentiary and former leper colony, the unspoilt island has re-emerged as a spectacular tropical holiday destination.
With lots of scope for boat tours, nature hikes, waterfall swims and gorgeous diving, there’s no shortage of activities for the adventurous. More of a sandy-toes and cold beer kind of traveller? There’s stacks of laid-back beach bliss to be had here, too. Partygoers should head to the Vila do Abraão waterfront for a funky, friendly evening vibe.
A terrific tropical spot, Ilha Grande appeals especially to nature lovers, and makes for a wonderfully relaxing addition to any Brazilian adventure. The best places to stay in Ilha Grande are all within sight of the sea, helping you to make the most of your time on this enchanting island.
The best places to stay in Ilha Grande
Sagu Mini Resort is a bright beachfront hotel with a rustic, laid-back feel. Cosy rooms are adorned with lovely local textiles and the open-sided restaurant is charming. Kick back in a hammock, try snorkelling or take a botanical tour of the local area. Family rooms make this a great choice for those travelling with children.
For an eco-conscious stay
- Asalem is a rainforest hideaway with a real focus on sustainability. Nab the Eco-Honeymoon Suite for striking sea views through floor-to-ceiling glass doors. This is a superb spot for foodies: the onsite restaurant prides itself on an ever-changing menu based on local produce and fabulous fresh seafood. Throw in a cocktail or two and you’re all set!
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we suggest that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Ilha Grande is easily accessible by ferry from Conceição de Jacareí on the mainland. There are regular buses from Rio, making this a swift and easy journey.
- With gorgeous weather throughout the year, Ilha Grande is a wonderful place to visit at any point. December to February are the hottest months, but the sea is the perfect place to cool off!
- This is a hugely popular destination, so do book your stay well in advance to avoid disappointment!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in Rio de Janeiro State.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of all the best places to stay in Brazil.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ilha Grande
Best Hotels in Ilha Grande
Sagu Mini Resort Abraão, Ilha Grande 9 rooms from £117Families - With family accommodation available and lots of activities for children, this hotel is a good option for parentsLocal exploring - Situated close to Abraão's main attractions, this hotel is in a great location for local exploringBeach Life - With a prime, seafront location, this hotel is perfect for a relaxed seaside holidayKayaking - Go kayaking with a hotel guide and experience Abraão from a different vantage point
This mini-resort is located on the Ilha Grande waterfront in Abraão, Brazil. Rooms are bright and airy with comfortable beds, terracotta floors and splashes of colour in local textiles; book a luxury suite for a private verandah. Rent snorkelling or kayak equipment for a trip; a charming beach stay. See More
Asalem Angra dos Reis, Ilha Grande 8 rooms from £146Eco break - With solar-powered water heater systems and rainwater harvesting, Asalem has a minimal environmental footprintHideaway - A hidden treasure on Brazil's own version of paradise, relax in a hammock and enjoy the peaceHoneymoons - With romantic beachside dinners and stunning views, Asalem is perfect for newlywedsSights nearby - The Blue Lagoon, Acaiá Cave, Witch Falls, Cachadaço Beach, Adventurer Beach, are just a few of the many places to explore
A beautiful rustic property offering guests eco accommodation and rooms with spectacular views of the ocean and island surrounds. The restaurant serves lovingly put-together meals from fresh ingredients including local seafood. Enjoy the serenity of Ihla Grande with a delicious fruit cocktail. See More