Rio de Janeiro
Search the best hotels in Rio de Janeiro
About Rio de Janeiro
Dramatic, teeming with life 24/7, Rio de Janeiro perches twixt ocean and jungle and is both a great one-stop destination as well as a perfect entry point into Latin America. Some of the best places to stay in Rio de Janeiro can be found in the boutique city centre B&Bs, but if luxury is what you're after, then the city does not disappoint, with plenty of stylish hangouts, either beachside or slightly further out of town.
See some of our Rio de Janeiro Collections:
- The Best Honeymoon Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- The Best Family Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- The Best Boutique Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Even with images from films such as City of God ingrained in the mind, the city’s truly breathtaking views do not disappoint. Rio lies in one of the world's most specular settings: a line of lights between high peaks, rainforests and white sandy beaches. From the bossa nova cafés of Santa Teresa, to the caipirinha-soaked beaches of Ipanema and Copacobana, Rio has so much to offer, and a wide range of accommodation to match.
The locals have a reputation for good living and fun. This is an easy place to eat and drink extremely well; to dance the night away; or to spend hours people watching. It's also a great base for surfing and sailing. Finally, dense and exotic rainforests are just a short distance away from the centre of the city.
For sightseeing, there is plenty on offer, from the Cristo Redentor (aka Christ the Redeemer), one of Rio's most famous attractions, to the rocky Pão de Açúcar (sugar loaf mountain) or, for a dose of culture, the Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil (CCBB), set in a glorious Art Deco building, with its three theatres, multiple libraries and a cinema.
Where To Stay - which neighbourhood?
- Botafogo is the best place for those who want to take advantage of the city's bustling nightlife.
- If you're here for the museums and culture then finding a great place to stay in Lapa is probably your best bet.
- Those visiting for business should try and find a room in Centro, or as close to as possible.
- But if you fancy spending your days on the beach then check in to one of Copacabana's hotels.
- Arpoador is where the hip surf crowd hang. It's situated in between Copacabana and Ipanema beaches and is the place to go to watch the sunset.
- Ipanema and Leblon are both good options for the beach too. Both are wealthy residential areas and filled with high end restaurants and designer shops, and there are some great designer and boutique hotels here.
- If you are after a bohemian vibe, then book a B+B or hotel in Santa Teresa. Its hilltop location means the views are to die for, and the arty atmosphere is amplified by its charming squares with their grand, faded mansions and artisan galleries.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Rio de Janeiro has something for every taste, whether you are looking for art and culture, street life, or beach. But remember to book well ahead, especially if you plan to visit during Carnival.
The best places to stay in Rio de Janeiro
- Right on Ipanema Beach, Fasano is a Philippe Starck-designed retro-chic paradise, with fifties and sixties furniture, and spacious airy bedrooms - many with two double beds placed to maximise ocean views. The staff even wear vintage uniforms! What's more, there's a rooftop pool and bar to retreat to when you've had enough of the beach.
- You won't go wrong with the Fairmont Rio de Janeiro Copacabana. Like many of Rio's hotels, it's right on the beach (in this case Copacabana), and offers every luxury you might need, including two swimming pools, an extensive spa, a beauty and fitness centre and fantastic dining. It's a great option for a honeymoon if you are using Rio as a gateway city.
- Santa Teresa is hipness HQ in the Santa Teresa district, serving up luxury boho chic. Their loft suite is the ultimate place to kip, but the verandah rooms are also excellent, and the restaurant serves acclaimed Brazilian-French gastronomy by French chef Damien Montecer.
- Y002 is a super-trendy design spot, featuring stylish contemporary rooms with plenty of glass and muted tones. You'll love the magnificent views on offer, whilst you can also tuck into splendid Brazilian cuisine at the restaurant
For a Boutique
- The renowned and good value Casa Cool Beans serves the breakfast part of its B&B promise poolside, and in its pleasant variety of outdoor terrace and garden spaces. This is a good place for market shoppers, and there are plenty of reasonably priced restaurants to choose from in the local area.
- The charming Casa Beleza has just two rooms and two suites, a small pool and a shady garden, shared with monkeys, a turtle and delightful English owners, who are are happy to share their expert knowledge of Rio and tips of how to make the most of your stay. Their fruit trees provide breakfast. There's wifi, but don't expect a TV.
- Casa Amarelo is a French designed guesthouse in the heart of the Santa Teresa neighbourhood. Offering simple yet elegant individually designed rooms, you can come back after a day out sightseeing to enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool.
For a City Break
- Mama Ruisa is an elegant 19th Century boutique guesthouse in a prime location above the Lapa District overlooking the bay. Rooms are beautifully decorated with stunning views.
- The Villa enjoys a dreamy location in the hills overlooking Rio. Featuring stylish contemporary rooms and balconies boasting splendid views all around... you won't believe the price! (in a good way...)
Other Beach Break options
- Rio Atlantica is a large hotel in a great location on the beach at Copacabana. Rooms and suites are modern and comfortable. To make the most of the location, get a seaview room.
- On the coast, slightly out of town, La Suite's seven bedrooms have hazy views of the city's millions of lights. This cliff top luxury guesthouse has Warhol themed rooms, an infinity pool and a fabulous restaurant.
- Just 5 minutes away from Ipanema Beach, Ipanema Inn is a stylish contemporary spot with minimalist rooms in muted tones. Located in the centre of town, you can head off sightseeing in the morning before hitting the beach in the afternoon.
- Beyong Ipanema above Leblon beach is the designer Janeiro. This chic beach getaway offers crisp white linens and stylish architectural detailing, plus an excellent restaurant which pulls in a trendy local crowd. Though not cheap, if you can afford it push the boat out and book the oceanfront suite - you will not be disappointed.
- For something more affordable, which is also ideal for families, check out the larger CDesign Hotel, just across the road from the beach in the upscale residential district of Recreio dos Bandeirantes (to the west of the city). It offer great rates, a rooftop pool, great views and a kids club.
For Something Special
- Featured in songs, films and books, the Copacabana Palace is an iconic place to stay in Rio. There's all-out marble and chandelier grandeur in public areas, so the vibe is traditional luxury. The beachfront rooms are the best, of course, with their terraces, though they come at a cost. The pool, bar and restaurants are top notch. Like the Fairmont, this hotel is honeymoon-worthy.
- Tuakaza is an utterly spectacular hideaway, in a secluded setting and boasting stunning views. With six charming rooms as well as an infinity pool hewn from the rock, you'll fall in love with the place.
- Chez Georges is a striking boutique of just 9 rooms offering epic views in Santa Teresa. Billed by some as Rio's best kept secret, it's an architectural gem with exquisite detailing. Don't expect many amenities, do expect a magical stay.
For great value
- Cool, stylish and chic, Selina Lapa is a great value, central hotel cum hostel with dorm rooms as well as regular doubles. Rooms are bright and stylish, there's a chilled roof terrace, and often live music. There's also a co-working space here, so it's a good place to tune in to urban life and meet the locals.
- Another incredible value place to stay is the Vila Gale Rio de Janeiro, considering its 4 star rating. Make sure to book a room in the original building - pink colonial-style set around an inviting pool. Rio glamour without breaking the bank.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you've decided that you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with out partner, Booking.com.
- Rio is never exactly chilly, but if you want the best weather then visit from December to March - with the average daily temperature around 25-27°C and the sea also being wonderfully warm.
- For a quieter and cheaper visit, plan to come in spring or autumn. The weather is still lovely but not overly hot, and you can be assured that the streets and beaches will be far less crowded than at other times of the year.
- International visitors can fly into Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport, located 12 miles north of the city centre. From the airport, take the bus into the centre of town.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net and have a look at our recommendations in Rio de Janeiro State or in Sao Paulo.
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Rio de Janeiro
Best Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Selina Lapa Rio de Janeiro (Centro) 119 rooms from £16Local exploring - Base yourself here if you are more interested in exploring Rio's art, music, dance and local life than relaxing at the beachBusiness meetings - The property is well-known as a vibrant co-working space with 15 desks, great wifi, meeting rooms and shared dining spacesValue chic - The 4, 6 and 8 person dorms have been thoughtfully decorated and offer an incredibly good-value base in the heart of RioSights nearby - Within 500 metres of the property visit the National Museum of Fine Arts, National Library, Selaron Steps and Carioca Aqueduct
Boutique hotel and hostel situated in a classical building in Rio's Lapa district. The place to stay to feel the pulse of local life and meet its colourful characters; residents frequent the restaurant and rooftop bar. Brilliantly refurbished, rooms and public areas are eccentric, cool and stylish. See More
Vila Gale Rio de Janeiro Rio de Janeiro (Centro) 292 rooms from £45Local exploring - Stay here to sample one of Rio's most charactful districts known for its vibrant music scene, trendy restaurants and shopsValue chic - Considering the facilities, buzzing location and very pleasant rooms, this hotel is incredible valueSights nearby - Lapa’s famous white aqueduct is five minutes’ walk away. A short tram ride will take you to the Santa Teresa neighbourhoodRestaurant - Massa Fina specalises in artisanal pizzas, and the main bar becomes a Sushi lounge on Fridays and Saturdays
A four-star urban retreat located in Rio's lively Lapa district. Housed in a former 1930s Magnifico Hotel, rooms are spread between a new tower and a pink colonial-style building set around an inviting pool. There is a spa, piano bar and on Sundays the restaurant offers a superb Portuguese feast. See More
The Villa Rio de Janeiro (Santa Teresa) 11 rooms from £48Local exploring - Just a short way from the centre of Rio, it's perfect for exploring the historic city.Value chic - Stylish accommodation at a very reasonable price.Surfing - The beaches surrounding Rio are hotspots for surfing.Sights nearby - Less than two miles from Christ the Redeemer.
L'Homme de Rio Rio de Janeiro (Ipanema) 10 rooms from £52Views - The hotel's amazing rooftop gives views all the way to Sugar Loaf Mountain. Come up here for a sunset cocktailBeach Life - Rio's iconic Ipanema beach is 500 metres from the property and boasts golden sand and great surfingSights nearby - Within 800 metres you will find Copacabana, Arpoador and Diablo beachesGreat walks - Take a hike in nearby Catacumba Park
Design-led boutique hotel in Rio's Ipanema district. 10 spacious suites are chic yet cosy and some look out over the ocean, as does the rooftop bar and pool. There is easy access to Rio's best beaches and although there is no restaurant, the trendy neighbourhood has many lunch and dinner options. See More
CDesign Hotel Rio de Janeiro (Recreio dos Bandeirantes) 254 rooms from £54Beach Life - The hotel is across the road from Bandeirantes Beach and has stunning sea views from the rooftop pool and many of the roomsFamilies - There is a strong emphasis on families with indoor and outdoor play equipment, board games and kid's TV channelsValue chic - Considering the impressive views, beach location and spacious rooms, this is a great value choiceSights nearby - Mirante do Roncador and Pontal beaches are close by
Beach-side hotel located in Rio's upscale residential district of Recreio dos Bandeirantes. 254 rooms are light-filled with minimalist white and glass interiors. A great base from which to explore beaches and parks, the rooftop pool has incredible ocean views and there is a restaurant, spa and gym. See More
Casa Cool Beans Rio de Janeiro (136 Rio de Janeiro-RJ (Santa Teresa)) 10 rooms from £69Groups - An ideal spot for groups or families, most rooms have two double beds, and the garden is a great place to chill in the evenings.Sights nearby - Just 7 km from the iconic Sugar Loaf Mountain, plus the B&B runs a shuttle service to the main sights.Restrictions on children - No children under 13.Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor pool.Recommended by - Frommers, Fodors
Inexpensive, super-friendly B&B in a cool boho neighbourhood. Clean and simple white washed rooms with splashes of colour - most with two double beds. Multiple gardens, open-air areas, pool and sun deck have wonderful views and are perfect to chill out in. A great choie for groups of friends. See More
Casa Beleza Rio de Janeiro 5 rooms from £70Local exploring - Set in the historic quarter, Santa Teresa, a tranquil bohemian area yet close to the Rio de Janerio's main sights.Great walks - Wander the cobblestone streets of Rio's charming and historic Santa Teresa, packed with restaurants, bars and museums.Sights nearby - Just a 15 minute drive from the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor Pool in Gardens
Prestige Property Da Costa Rio de Janeiro (Santa Teresa) 5 rooms from £66Hideaway - Soak in the jaw-dropping view over Rio from the property's private terrace, tucked away in this luxurious home-away-from-homeCity Style - Combining incredible views, a trendy neighbourhood and seriously stylish interiors, this is Rio at its bestSights nearby - Church São Judas Tadeu, International Museum of Naïv Art of Brazil and Largo do Boticário are on your doorstepGreat walks - Explore the colourful neighbourhood easily on foot
Private residence situated in Rio's bohemian village-like district of Santa Teresa. There are five unique and spacious rooms, a swimming pool and a terrace with incredible views. Interiors are sophisticated and light-filled. Despite no restaurant, breakfast is included and rooms share a kitchen. See More
Hotel Nacional Rio de Janeiro Rio de Janeiro (Sao Conrado) 413 rooms from £71Views - No other hotel in the city has views that span Christ the Redeemer, the ocean and mountains. Engage in sightseeing from your bedRomantic Break - There is no need to leave the hotel as everything is on-site: luxurious rooms, views, spa, beach access and delicious foodArchitectural - Designed by legendary Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer, considered one of the key founders of Modern architectureSpa breaks - Enjoy spa treatments with killer beach views. There is also a steam room, sauna, extensive gym and relaxation area
Glamorous luxury hotel with out-of-this-world views over the beaches and cityscape of Rio de Janeiro. Spend days relaxing by the sea-view pool or on Sao Conrado beach. Interiors are plush with a hint of space-age chic and there is a superb spa, two great restaurants and a buzzy roof-top bar. See More
Casa Amarelo Rio de Janeiro (Santa Teresa) 7 rooms from £100Restaurant - Jardim Royal serves light and delicious dishes, and has fantastic views over the city and Guarabara Bay.Sights nearby - Walk to nearby sights such as Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro and Passeio Público.Local markets - Explore the bustling markets and streets of Santa Tereza.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Yoo2 Rio de Janeiro 143 rooms from £96City Style - Contemporary cool complete with rooftop pool, chic bar and excellent restaurant.Sights nearby - Marvel at the magnificent 18th century San Clemente Palace.Restaurant - Cariocally Resto & Bar , serving Brazilian cuisine.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
A trendy design hotel boasting spectacular views from the rooftop pool. Rooms are contemporary through and through with sleek fixtures, plenty of glass and indulgent bathrooms. Feast on Brazilian cuisine in the restaurant and sip on superb cocktails in the hip bar. A stylish choice. See More
Ipanema Inn Rio de Janeiro (Ipanema) 56 rooms from £102Local markets - On the first Saturday of every month there is a gt market on Lavradio Street in Rio.Restaurant - Quitéria restaurant, Brazilian & International cuisineSights nearby - Explore the deactivated aquaduct of Lapa.Surfing - Five minutes walk from Ipanema Beach.
Contemporary and chic, Ipanema Inn reflects the modern sophistication of Rio de Janeiro. The minimalist rooms feature comfortable furnishings and muted tones. Right in the heart of the city, it's perfect for exploring Rio. In the evening relax at the bar with an exotic caipirinhas. See More
Mama Ruisa Rio de Janeiro 7 rooms from £141City Style - A french chic hotel with light airy suites and fantastic views, set in a bohemian part of town close to Rio's hip nightlife.Families - The laidback host and quiet setting makes this a great hideaway for families, with a pool and plenty of room to run around.Great walks - Explore the colourful cobbled streets of Santa Teresa with its authentic Brazilian restaurants and vibrant atmosphere.Sights nearby - Visit the Christ the Redeemer for epic city views.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Arpoador Rio de Janeiro (Ipanema) 50 rooms from £112Beach Life - Ipanena's beach broadwalk begins just outside the property. Complimentary beach towels, chairs and parasols are all providedOutstanding location - Not many hotels can boast prime beach access plus walking distance to the city's hottest restaurants, shops and clubsRoof terrace - Swim in the pool, drink a cocktail and take in the sunset from the property's impeccibly located rooftopSights nearby - Cococapabana beach is 10 minute walk from the property. All of Rio's main sites are accessible in 15 minutes by car
The only hotel to be located right on Rio de Janeiro's famous Ipanema beach. Friendly and welcoming staff give this fresh and contemporary 50-room property real soul. Many rooms face the sea and the ground-floor Arp beach bar and restaurant serves excellent Brazilian food in a buzzing setting. See More
Chez Georges Rio de Janeiro 9 rooms from £137Local exploring - Well positioned to access the city’s centre and the sandy beaches of Copacabana and IpanemaDesigner - A modernist design villa created by renowned architect Wladimir Alves de SouzaSights nearby - Head to the historic centre on the postcard-perfect yellow “Bonde de Santa Teresa” tramSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Design Hotels
A striking boutique hotel offering a spectacular spot in Santa Teresa with epic sea views. The brutalist building has been painstakingly designed mixing polished concrete with expanses of glass and wood. Rooms are bright and spacious and overlook a lush garden. A unique and luxurious city escape. See More
Rio Atlantica Rio de Janeiro 247 rooms from £176Beach LifeCity StyleViews - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Jardim Botânico.
Le Chateaux Joa Rio de Janeiro (Joatinga) 5 rooms from £144Beach Life - As well as stunning ocean views, Praia da Joatinga, a beach frequented by a chic crowd, is 100 metres from the propertyHideaway - Secluded and private but with excellent views. This is where people stay who don't want to be recognisedGroups - Take over the 5 suites to enjoy the property in its entirety and make it feel like a private homeSurfing - Barra da Tijuca beach - which offers surfing and a range of watersports - is 700 metres from the property
A private residence located in the fashionable Joatinga district. Used as the set for two Brazilian soap operas, the exclusive 5-suite property designed by a famous architect in the 1970s will suit those who want sea views but plenty of privacy. Breakfast is included and a chef can be arranged. See More
Fairmont Rio de Janeiro Copacabana Rio de Janeiro (Copacabana) 388 rooms from £162Honeymoons - Perfect for couples who want to enjoy indulgent beach time but also dip into the sites at one at the city's prime addressesBeach Life - As well being situated on Copacabana, Rio's Ipanema beach is a short walk away making the location unbeatableSights nearby - Arpoador Beach and Diabo Beach are also on the doorstepViews - Great views from hotel
A luxury hotel perfectly located on Rio's Copacabana Beach. Enjoy direct access to the city's iconic beach while rooms and suites offer views over Sugar Loaf Mountain. There are two swimming pools, an extensive spa, beauty and fitness centre, restaurants and meeting and wedding facilities on-site. See More
La Suite by Dussol Rio de Janeiro (Joa) 7 rooms from £234Local exploringViews - Great views from hotelRomantic BreakLuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Out-of-town clifftop guesthouse with celestial ocean views. Super stylish contemporary rooms with panoramic views, classic furnishings, and modern art. Infinity pool, an excellent maison d'hotes, and within striking distance of one of Rio's best kept beaches. Romantic, also family friendly. See More
Santa Teresa Rio de Janeiro (Santa Teresa) 40 rooms from £272Total relaxation - An indulgent getaway with glorious modern spa, fantastic cuisine, and unrivalled service, in an arty laid back part of town.City Style - A neo-colonial former coffee finca in Rio's boho chic Santa Teresa, exuding ethnic Brazilian swag through interiors and art.Sights nearby - Visit the Selaron Steps, one of the most iconic attractions in Rio and the work of Chilean artist Jorge Selarón.Local markets - Splugre in the trendy monthly Rio Antigo Market.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Bohemian chic at this luxury hotel in the enviable location of Santa Teresa. Brazilian designs combine with the utmost designer elegance - rich wooden furnishings, soft sandstone and unrivalled views from the fabulous loft suite. A very special place to stay with a wonderful restaurant. See More
Copacabana Palace Hotel Rio de Janeiro (Copacabana) 241 rooms from £3545* Luxury - Very high service standards.City StyleSights nearby - Edmundo Bittencourt Square, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and Pasmado Viewpoint.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Janeiro Rio de Janeiro 53 rooms from £281Beach Life - Located on the beach in Leblon, this hotel makes a perfect choice for a luxury seaside getawayLocal exploring - With a privileged beach location, this hotel makes a great base for local exploring in RioRomantic Break - Couples love the relaxed atmosphere at this chic, adults-only hotelGreat walks - Go for a walk through the verdant Rio de Janeiro Botanical Gardens, where you can find a beautiful array of exotic plants
This stylish seaside hotel is located on the beach in Leblon, Brazil. Apartments feature crisp white linens, designer furniture and natural accents, plus sea views; book the oceanfront suite for added luxury. Sample modern takes on classic Brazilian cuisine at the restaurant; a chic beach getaway. See More
TuAkAzA Rio de Janeiro 6 rooms from £307Hideaway - A tranquil abode in a quiet corner of Rio.Sights nearby - Make the iconic trip up to Christ the Redeemer and enjoy the spectacular view.Great walks - Take a walk through the tropical Jardim Botanico.Restaurant - Recommended.
A charming hideaway in a lush secluded setting. Just six rooms boast spectacular views from the floor to ceiling windows and private terraces. Unwind next to the infinity pool or with a drink in the cosy lounge. The ideal spot for those looking for some tranquility amidst the bustling city. See More
Emiliano Rio Rio de Janeiro (Copacabana) 90 rooms from £361Families - With family-sized suites and activities available for children, this is a good option for parents travelling with kidsBeach Life - Located on the seafront and offering beach access, this hotel is a great choice for your next seaside getawayRomantic Break - Book a luxury suite with a bathtub and hideout at this hotel on your next couples' getawayGreat walks - Take a long walk through the beautiful Rio de Janeiro Botanical Gardens, which host a spectacular array of exotic plants
This exclusive, five-star establishment combines a luxury hotel with a beach resort in Rio de Janeiro. Rooms are contemporary and bright with luxurious linens; book an ocean suite for sea views, living space and a bathtub. Have cocktails at the chic rooftop bar before dinner. A unique concept hotel. See More
Fasano Rio de Janeiro 89 rooms from £499Honeymoons - The ideal indulgent honeymoon- ocean front suites offer spectacular views and the top-notch restaurants never fail to impress.City Style - Retro inspired contemporary design with epic coastal positioning, knockout spa, wonderful cuisine and suave rooftop pool.Sights nearby - Visit the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue at the top of Corcovado.Swimming Pool - Stunning pool with sea view.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection