Morro de Sao Paulo
Search the best hotels in Morro de Sao Paulo
About Morro de Sao Paulo
A car-free tropical paradise in the Atlantic Ocean, Morro de Sao Paulo is a small village on an island of palm-fringed white-sand beaches and jungled hills crested with nightclubs, boasting a rich and fascinating heritage. Our collection of the best places to stay in Morro de Sao Paulo has something for everyone from budget options to luxury boutiques.
Part of an archipelago of 26 islands, only three of which are inhabited, Morro de Sao Paulo nestles on the northeastern tip of Tinhare Island. Filled with cobbled streets and old fishermen's shacks, it is something of a tropical idyll. The fortress, Morre de Sao Paulo, stands as a stark reminder of the island's heritage, built in the 17th century to prevent Dutch invasions. The church of Nossa Senhora da Luz, or Our Lady of Light, was named after the holy patron of the island and is a gorgeous whitewashed piece of architecture boasting an ornate wooden altar.
If you're a fan of hiking, be sure to trek through the miles of Atlantic forest to reach the Fonto do Ceu, a beautiful waterfall; atop a jungled hill on the island is also an all-night outdoors nightclub, a mainstay of backpackers and local partiers alike. For an afternoon excursion, consider hiking up to the Farol do Morro lighthouse, from where you can zip-line straight back to the village.
Of course, people come to Morro de Sao Paulo for its beaches. With the whitest of sands and waters as clear as glass, they are ideal for a relaxing beach holiday. The First Beach is well suited to watersports like wakeboarding, scuba diving and especially surfing because the waves at this beach are notoriously strong. The Second Beach, on the other hand, is lined with restaurants while the fourth and fifth are semi-deserted, offering seclusion to those seeking intimacy and peace. From any of these beaches, you can spot Humpback whales between July and October!
What not to miss
- Find solace and seclusion at one of the island's many semi-deserted beaches.
- Do a spot of wakeboarding or surfing.
- Visit the ruined 17th century fortress, Morre de Sao Paulo.
- Hike through the miles of forest to reach the beautiful Fonto do Ceu waterfall.
- For nightlife, be sure to check out the Teatro de Morro, an outdoors all-night nightclub atop a jungled hill.
- Zip-line from the Forol do Morro lighthouse down to the village.
- Try and spot Humpback whales from the coast, if you're there between July and October.
Morro de Sao Paulo has something for everyone. Adrenaline junkies will love the zip-line and surfing scene while families will love the wide sandy beaches and restaurants. As for the best places to stay in Morro de Sao Paulo, find out more by looking below!
The best places to stay in Morro de Sao Paulo
Value for money
- Anima Hotel: excellent value for money, this hotel is in a secluded palm-fringed location. Offering beach huts on stilts with remarkably boutique interiors, it boasts a large lagoon-like pool and a fantastic seafood restaurant. Great for families on a budget.
- Hotel Vila dos Orixas: a superb hotel offering lovely cabanas nestling amidst palm trees, it offers stylish rooms, a sumptuous restaurant and a pampering spa. Ideal for couples looking for intimacy.
- Villa dos Corais: only a stone's throw from the beach, this beautiful hotel offers spacious individual buildings that promise seclusion and intimacy. Enjoy a spot of tennis, laze at the pool, unwind with a massage or sunbathe at the beach. Totally divine.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Salvador, from where you can get either a catamaran, (a 2 hour journey) or aeroplane (20 minutes).
- A car-free island, aside from a garbage-collecting tractor and ambulance, there is no need for car rental here.
- The Bahia coast has balmy, hot weather throughout the year, with the constant relief of the bracing sea breeze. The rainiest months are between April and June, so the best time to go is between July and October when you can spot whales from the coast. The temperature tends to flit between 20 and 30 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Morro de Sao Paulo
Anima Hotel Morro de Sao Paulo from £89
A hidden paradise under the palm groves. A collection of beach huts on stilts with charming boutique interiors and balconies. Excellent seafood restaurant, lagoon-style pool, and just set back from the beach. Excellent value, family friendly, perfect for a laid back beach break.Beach LifePrivate Hot TubSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Vila dos Orixas Morro de Sao Paulo 14 rooms from £115
A superb hotel that is comprised of picturesque cabanas nestled amidst palm trees. With stylish rooms, an excellent restaurant and a superb spa, it's the perfect place for a relaxing retreat. Its unbeatable seaside location is simply the cherry on top.Great walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - See the sights of Morro de Sao such as the lighthouse and the fort.Fishing - Sea fishing trips can be organised by the hotel.Kayaking - Canoeing
Pousada Minha Louca Paixão Morro de Sao Paulo 57 rooms from £100
This luxury pousada is located on the seafront in Morro de São Paulo, Brazil. Rooms are individually styled and feature plush linens, local artwork and a private balcony; book a luxury suite for a spa bath and sea views. Unwind by one of two pools before dinner at the restaurant; a chic beach hotel.Local exploring - The hotel occupies a central location in Morro de São Paulo, making it the perfect starting point for local exploringFamilies - Family rooms are available to accommodate adults travelling with children; kids love the outdoor pools, tooBeach Life - With a prime, seafront location, this hotel is a great choice for a relaxing beach breakSights nearby - Visit the Morro de São Paulo Lighthouse, a landmark lighthouse on the coast
Villa dos Corais Morro de Sao Paulo (Morro De São Paulo) 40 rooms from £140
Located just a minute away from the beach in Morro de São Paulo this laid back hotel features simply designed yet spacious rooms in individual buildings. Spend your days sunbathing on the beach, lazing poolside, playing tennis or relaxing with a massage! A fun and family-friendly choice for a break.Fishing - Spend the afternoon relaxing in the summer sun fishing with a picnic and a few drinks-what could be better?Diving - Take advantage of the many local diving clubs to explore the marine life off Morro de São Paolo's coastSurfing - The combination of sun, wind and waves make Morro de São Paulo a great destination for surfersGreat walks - Go hiking through the palm trees and across the beaches to truly get to know Tinharé Island