Search the best hotels in Paraty
Paraty is a hidden gem four hours by road to the west of Rio, along some amazing coastline scenery - which is not called the Costa Verde for nothing. With its untouched beaches, jungle and rainforest, colonial architecture and natural parks, this charming and historic town offers a truly diverse landscape nearby and plays host to all sorts of activities. The best places to stay in and around Paraty have lots of local character, whether boutique, colonial townhouse, seaside or farmhouse in the hills, each spot has its own charm.
The town itself is colonial era Portuguese, made wealthy and endowed with some magnificent architecture on the back of the 18th century gold rush. To really appreciate all it has to offer it repays to stay in one of the charming colonial townhouse hotels in the historic centre, free of cars and surrounded by cobbled streets and beautiful baroque churches. In 2019 it was made a Unesco World Heritage Site, and you will see why.
Located in an island-studded bay with a mountainous background, Paraty is a photographer's dream. To get the best out of this reagion, spend a couple of days in a hotel in the old town and then head out to one of the off the beaten track hideways inland or along the coast, listed below in our best places to stay in Paraty.
The best places to stay in Paraty
- Pousada do Oura, this 18th-century guesthouse is based right in the heart of Paraty, decorated with an abundance of colour and country furniture. While being in the centre and perfect for exploring the historical sights, it is also only a couple of minutes to the beach!
- The Sandi Hotel is colonial-era property in the historic centre, with a delightful pool and quiet garden to relax in. Make sure you ask for one of the larger rooms with balconies, which are well worth spending the extra on.
- If you want more of a designer look and are happy to spend a bit extra, check in to the Pousada Literaria. Again, it's in the historic centre and has a relaxing pool and garden. The restaurant is excellent. Book the Aurora Street Villa for your own private garden.
For a boutique guesthouse
- Casa Turquesa is also well placed in the historic centre but has more of a boutique feel with just nine rooms. This charming colonial house is filled with artefacts, paintings, white washed walls, cerulean blue shutters and a courtyard and swimming pool. Full of character, perfect to explore Paraty from.
Off the beaten track near Paraty
- An hour south by road in a secluded bay with a white sand beach, is the chic Pousada Picinguaba with all white guest rooms with wooden floors and four poster beds, huge infinity pool, fresh local produce, wildlife viewing in the surrounding jungle. Very romantic, also family friendly.
- For something completely different, try an amazing eco-house rental! Casa Cairucu is only accessible by sea from Paraty and has just four rooms with views over crystal blue water, a smart wooden structure on stilts, floor to ceiling glass windows, a kitchen and a chef on request. Fishing, diving, birdwatching. Perfect for families or groups of friends.
- Half an hour north in the rainforest is the divine and tropical Pousada Bromelias. With individual bungalows, this really feels like a well hidden jungle gem! With just 10 rooms, it's great for a family experience or simply a romantic getaway.
- Meanwhile a bit further inland (2.5 hours) in the hills is the charming Fazenda Catucaba, a glorious farmhouse set in a luscious green valley, sporting chic bedrooms and suites, log fires, fresh local produce, fantastic chefs. Just 10 rooms and 2 small villas, each sleeping 4. Ideal for families, couples, or groups of friends.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Paraty is a 4.5-hour transfer from Rio de Janiero or a 6-7 hour drive from Sau Paulo.
- June to September are the driest months, with temperatures varying from 20-18 degrees. Other months are hotter but expect much more rain!
- If you wish to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our pick of the best places to stay in Paraty
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro
- Or contact a Guru for more info!
Monthly Weather in Paraty
Best Hotels in Paraty
Sandi Hotel Paraty 28 rooms from £108Romantic Break - Book the master suite for added indulgence on your next romantic getaway, with a beautiful living room and balconyLocal exploring - With a central location close to Paraty's main attractions, this hotel is a great base for local exploringCity Style - Located in a 300-year old property in Paraty, this hotel boasts lots of chic local styleSights nearby - Visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, a historic, landmark church located a stone's throw from the hotel
This luxury hotel is located in a colonial-era property in the historic centre of Paraty. Choose from bright rooms, suites or private apartments featuring comfortable beds, traditional linens and local artwork; book the master suite for living space and a balcony. Unwind at the spa; a charming stay. See More
Pousada do Ouro Paraty 27 rooms from £119Total relaxation - After a day spent sunbathing treat yourself to a massage from their Shambala Spa to truly unwindLocal exploring - Make the most out of the hotel's central location to get to know historic ParatyBeach Life - The property is located just 3 minutes away from the beach.Sailing - There are plenty of boat tours offered locally for those looking to head out to sea
Pousada Bromelias Paraty 10 rooms from £143Romantic Break - Pousada Bromelia's lush tropical surroundings, individual bungalows and peaceful atmosphere make it perfect for a romantic tripTotal relaxation - Lounge by the pool or even book yourself a massage to truly unwindGreat walks - Set off through the rainforest exploring its diverse ecosystem and wander up the mountains to appreciate some fabulous viewsBirdwatching - Head off with a local guide who can help you find up to 150 species of birds in the area!
Pousada Bromelias is situated in a tropical rainforest a few miles outside coastal Paraty. It features rustic and chic individual bungalows which are located far enough apart to create a real sense of privacy. Escape into another world at this truly unique and unforgettable jungle hideout. See More
Casa Mar Paraty Paraty 8 rooms from £183Local exploring - Located a short walk from the historic centre of Paraty, this hotel is in a great location for local exploringBeach Life - Situated just a few minutes from the beach, this hotel makes a great seaside escapeHideaway - With just 8 rooms, this boutique guesthouse makes for an intimate beach bolt-holeSights nearby - Visit Araujo Island on a guided tour during your stay; the island is the second largest in the Paraty BayRecommended by - Tablet
This luxury guesthouse sits in the picturesque fishing village of Paraty in Brazil. Suites bring guests closer to nature with bamboo ceilings and wooden concertina doors that offer views of the verdant gardens; book a luxury suite for a spa bath. Unwind in the infinity pool; a chic beach bolt-hole. See More
Casa Turquesa Rio de Janeiro, Paraty 9 rooms from £293Sights nearby - Paraty is a UNESCO site with colonial architecture.Birdwatching - Serra da Bocaina National Park.Restrictions on children - Over 14s welcome.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Pousada Literaria Paraty 23 rooms from £233City Style - Located in a heritage property in the heart of Paraty, this hotel has lots of local styleRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's cosy, 600-thread count sheets and spacious king-size bedsLocal exploring - With a central location in Paraty, this hotel is a great base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, a historic, whitewashed church in the centre of Paraty, a short walk from the hotel
This hotel is located in a restored, colonial-era mansion in the historic centre of Paraty, Brazil. Choose from contemporary suites or villas with king-size beds and a spacious living area; book the Aurora Street Villa for a private internal garden. Dine at the charming restaurant; a refined hotel. See More