Search the best hotels in Salvador
The vibrant and colourful capital of Bahia state, Salvador is the perfect place for travellers looking for a unique experience. Strongly influenced by African culture due to the historic prevalence of the slave trade, it also brims with beautiful colonial-era architecture. Boasting a picturesque Old Town of cobbled streets, grand plazas and colourful facades, alongside wide beaches of the whitest sand, this city has something for everyone - including a vibrant nightlife, making it ideal for partying into the early hours. The city is also brimful with historic churches and fascinating museums. Our collection of the best places to stay in Salvador range from small boutiques to classic luxury.
The historic centre of Salvador is called Pelourinho, and conveniently it is where you will find the finest architecture, museums, bars and artisan shops, in old cobbled streets lined with colonial mansions. Other areas like Itapua are ideal for lounging at the beach or partying into the early hours, but if you want the authentic Salvadorian nightlife experience, be sure to check out Amaralina, the place where locals party.
The heritage in Salvador is rich and diverse. With over 300 churches, the city is a great exponent of the Brazilian Baroque style: the Nosso Senhor do Bonjim is a beautiful 18th century church, while the Sao Francisco is alive with grandeur. As for museums, the Museo Afro-Brasileiro is definitely worth visiting, a fascinating place featuring excellent exhibits on the slave trade and the subsequent development of the city as a result of it. Perhaps after seeing this, you will curious enough to participate in a traditional Candomble ceremony, a religion hailing from disparate parts of Africa.
Unique, colourful, fun-loving and vibrant, Salvador is as picturesque as it is fascinating. With a rich heritage, great nightlife, wide open beaches and some great markets, it makes for a fantastic place to holiday. The best places to stay in Salvador reflect its varied heritage.
The best places to stay in Salvador
Old Town Romance
- Casa do Amarelindo: a great value townhouse hotel with a rooftop terrace, offering romantic and elegant rooms. A tranquil bolthole in the cobbled streets of the Old Town. Great for couples.
- Villa Bahia: a truly unique hotel, blending chic colour schemes with antique furnishings. Elegant and romantic, it is in the heart of the Old Town and is the perfect base from which to explore the city.
- Aram Yami: a beautiful baroque hotel awash with stylish wallpapers and impressive views of the Bay. Ideal for couples on a getaway, the rooftop pool overlooking the Bay provides jaw-dropping views.
Classic city dames
- The Fera Palace is a consistently excellent city centre hotel with fantastic views of the bay from it's pool. The guest rooms are modern yet elegant, the service is top notch, and it's close to restaurants, shopping and sights.
- A recent addition to Salvador's hotel scene, the Fasano Salvador is housed in an art deco building on Castro Alves Square. Service and facilities are reported to be of a high standard, and it boasts an excellent restaurant and a stunning rooftop pool with ocean views.
- Convento do Carmo: one of Bahia's finest hotels, it offers elegant rooms, sumptuous cuisine and an indulgent spa. Pampering, pure luxury.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Salvador has an international airport.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is between November and January, when the temperature ranges between 25 and 31 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Bahia
- or the best places to stay in Brazil
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Salvador
Best Hotels in Salvador
Casa do Amarelindo Salvador (Pelourinho) 10 rooms from £110Roof terrace - Panoramic views and swimming pool.GourmetCity StyleRestrictions on children - No guests under the age of 14 years accepted.Recommended by - I Escape
Villa Bahia, Salvador Salvador (Pelourinho) 17 rooms from £157Local markets - Browse the vast craft market of Mercado Modelo.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby San Francisco church.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Traditional
Awash with history and charm, Villa Bahia is a delightful hotel in the historic centre of Salvador. Rooms are elegant and stylish with beautiful antique furnishings and playful colour schemes. With Salvador's city centre on the doorstep, it's perfectly located for exploring Brazil's first capital. See More
Fera Palace Hotel Salvador (Centro Histórico) 81 rooms from £153Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic suites at this seaside hotel and the cosy restaurant serving classic Brazilian cuisineLocal exploring - Located in lively Salvador in Bahia, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringBeach Life - With a privileged seafront location, this hotel is ideal for a luxurious beach holidaySights nearby - Visit the nearby Rio Branco Palace; it is one of the oldest palaces in Brazil, dating to 1549
This exclusive boutique hotel is located in Salvador, Brazil. Choose from spacious apartments and suites with stylish interiors and unique design pieces; book a luxury suite for sea views and a classic bathtub. Dine in the restaurant before drinks at the seafront Fera Lounge; a chic, refined hotel. See More
Aram Yamí Salvador (Santo Antônio Além do Carmo) 6 rooms from £185Sights nearby - Walk to nearby sights such as Sé Square and São Marcelo Fort.Local markets - Browse the bustling markets streets of Salvador.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Delightful baroque hotel overlooking Todos Os Santos Bay. Awash with charm, the hotel's rooms are characterful and comfortable with colourful wallpaper and impressive views. If you're not exploring the surrounding Salvador, then take the chance to relax by one of the pools overlooking the bay. See More
Fasano Salvador 05 - Salvador 70 rooms from £305Foodies - The Fasano group are renowned for their gastronomy. The Italian restaurant is no exception and is a real lure for foodiesLocal exploring - Offering a prime setting in front of Castro Alves Square in the UNESCO-listed historic city centreSights nearby - Visit the 18th century Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Rosário dos Pretos, built by slaves who weren't allowed to worship in churchesLocal markets - Discover the bustling Mercado Modelo with stalls selling everything from local produce to jewelleryRecommended by - Tablet
A landmark Art Deco building offering an unbeatable position on Castro Alves Square. Interiors keep the building's original grandeur but with luxe touches (think, spa-like bathrooms). With a fabulous rooftop pool with ocean views & a standout Italian restaurant, this is one of Salvador's finest. See More
Convento do Carmo Salvador 79 rooms from £447Elegant - The most elegant old-world place to stay in Salvador.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSpaRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection