Search the best hotels in Salvador
The vibrant and colourful capital of Bahia state, Salvador is the perfect place for travellers looking for a unique experience. Strongly influenced by African culture due to the historic prevalence of the slave trade, it also brims with beautiful colonial-era architecture. Boasting a picturesque Old Town of cobbled streets, grand plazas and colourful facades of colonial houses, wide beaches of whitest sand ideal for partying into the early hours of morning, not to mention a treasure trove of gorgeous churches and fascinating museums. Our collection of the best places to stay in Salvador range from budget options to luxurious boutiques.
The historic centre of Salvador is called Pelourinho, and conveniently it is where you will find the best architecture, museums, bars and artisan shops; tourist-thronged old cobbled streets lined with gorgeous colonial mansions and houses, it is a genuine pleasure to get lost in. Areas like Itapua are ideal for lounging at the beach or partying into the early hours, but if you want the authentic Salvadorian nightlife experience, be sure to check out Amaralina, the wild place where locals party.
The heritage in Salvador is rich and diverse. With over 300 churches, the city is a great exponent of the Brazilian Baroque style: the Nosso Senhor do Bonjim is a beautiful 18th century church, while the Sao Francisco is alive with grandeur. As for museums, the Museo Afro-Brasileiro is definitely worth visiting, a fascinating place featuring excellent exhibits on the slave trade and the subsequent development of the city as a result of it. Perhaps after seeing this, you will curious enough to participate in a traditional Candomble ceremony, a religion hailing from disparate parts of Africa.
What not to miss
- Stroll through Pelourinho, the historic centre, on tourist-thronged cobbled streets lined with museums, bars, artisan shops and boutiques.
- Head to the Mercado Modelo, where you can find rare objet d'art and local handcrafts!
- Participate in a Candomble ceremony.
- Watch a capoeira dance.
- Visit the beautiful and grandiose Sao Francisco church.
- Learn about the history of the African slave trade and the resulting development of the city.
- Chill out at the beach.
- Party into the early hours with locals at Amaralina!
Unique, colourful, fun-loving and vibrant, Salvador is as picturesque as she is fascinating. With a rich heritage, great nightlife, wide open beaches and some great markets, it makes for a fantastic place to holiday. The best places to stay in Salvador reflect its idiosyncratic heritage.
The best places to stay in Salvador
- Pousada do Boqueirao: ideal for young people on a budget, this quiet and quirky hotel offers chic and colourful rooms adorned with artworks boasting beautiful views of Todos os Santos Bay. Unfussy, charming and amazing value.
- Casa do Amarelindo: a gorgeous townhouse with a fantastic rooftop terrace, offering romantic and elegant rooms that promise tranquillity in the cobbled streets of the Old Town. Great for couples.
- Villa Bahia: a truly unique hotel, blending chic colour schemes with antique furnishings. Elegant and romantic, it is in the heart of the Old Town and is the perfect base from which to explore the city.
- Aram Yami: a beautiful baroque hotel awash with colour wallpaper and impressive views of the Bay. Ideal for couples on a getaway, the rooftop pool overlooking the Bay provides jaw-dropping views.
- Tivoli Praia do Forte Ecoresort: a luxurious eco-resort with its own private beach, beautiful gardens, 8 swimming pools, an extensive spa and kids club, no to mention two fantastic restaurants. Utterly spoiling!
- Convento do Carmo: one of Bahia's finest hotels, it offers elegant rooms, sumptuous cuisine and an indulgent spa. Pampering, pure luxury.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Salvador has an international airport.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is between November and January, when the temperature ranges between 25 and 31 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Bahia
- or Brazil
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Salvador
Best Hotels in Salvador
Pousada do Boqueirao Salvador (48 - Santo Antônio Além do Carmo) 10 rooms from $41Great walks - Wander through the city taking in the colonial architecture or head along to the beach and stroll along the coastSights nearby - If you fancy a spot of sightseeing then go visit the São Marcelo Fort or the Rio Branco PalaceLocal markets - The Sao Joaquim market is South America's largest and definitely worth a visit!Views - Overlooking Todos Os Santos Bay.
This quiet guesthouse enjoys a great location in central Salvador and has quirky rooms with plenty of artwork on the walls. It boasts fantastic views overlooking Todos os Santos Bay and each morning take advantage of the superb buffet breakfast on offer! A no fuss and charming great value city spot. See More
Casa do Amarelindo Salvador (Pelourinho) 10 rooms from $141Roof terrace - Panoramic views and swimming pool.GourmetCity StyleRestrictions on children - No guests under the age of 14 years accepted.Recommended by - I Escape
Villa Bahia, Salvador Salvador (Pelourinho) 17 rooms from $201Local markets - Browse the vast craft market of Mercado Modelo.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby San Francisco church.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Traditional
Awash with history and charm, Villa Bahia is a delightful hotel in the historic centre of Salvador. Rooms are elegant and stylish with beautiful antique furnishings and playful colour schemes. With Salvador's city centre on the doorstep, it's perfectly located for exploring Brazil's first capital. See More
Fera Palace Hotel Salvador (Centro Histórico) 81 rooms from $164Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic suites at this seaside hotel and the cosy restaurant serving classic Brazilian cuisineLocal exploring - Located in lively Salvador in Bahia, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringBeach Life - With a privileged seafront location, this hotel is ideal for a luxurious beach holidaySights nearby - Visit the nearby Rio Branco Palace; it is one of the oldest palaces in Brazil, dating to 1549
This exclusive boutique hotel is located in Salvador, Brazil. Choose from spacious apartments and suites with stylish interiors and unique design pieces; book a luxury suite for sea views and a classic bathtub. Dine in the restaurant before drinks at the seafront Fera Lounge; a chic, refined hotel. See More
Tivoli Praia do Forte Ecoresort Salvador 287 rooms from $284Beach LifeFamiliesSights nearby - Alameda do Sol, Humpback Whale Institute and Sao Francisco Church.Swimming Pool - 8 pools.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Aram Yami Salvador (Santo Antônio Além do Carmo) 6 rooms from $237Sights nearby - Walk to nearby sights such as Sé Square and São Marcelo Fort.Local markets - Browse the bustling markets streets of Salvador.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Delightful baroque hotel overlooking Todos Os Santos Bay. Awash with charm, the hotel's rooms are characterful and comfortable with colourful wallpaper and impressive views. If you're not exploring the surrounding Salvador, then take the chance to relax by one of the pools overlooking the bay. See More
Convento do Carmo Salvador 79 rooms from $573Elegant - The most elegant old-world place to stay in Salvador.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSpaRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection