- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Cambridge, Ontario
About Cambridge, Ontario
Cambridge sits on the confluence of the Grand and Speed rivers, and is a relatively new city. In 1973 it was created from the amalgamation of four separate communities: Galt, Hespeler, Preston and Blair. The best places to stay in Cambridge, Ontario are all well placed for exploring the city and surrounding area.
The four original towns that make up Cambridge had their own distinct identities and a sense of rivalry remains to this day. Though there is a strong German cultural influence in all of the areas, as many of the earliest settlers were German speaking Mennonites from Pennsylvania.
Galt began as a farming town then developed industrially during the mid nineteenth century, Preston was a mill town - flour milling continues to this day on the oldest continuously operating industrial site in the region. The discovery of mineral springs led to Preston becoming a spa destination and the arrival of an electric railway system in 1894 transformed the town and brought it economic prosperity.
Cambridge has a continental climate with summer temperatures in the high twenties and mainly moderate winters, which makes it a good year round destination.
There is much to see and do, and here's our pick of the best -
- visit the Butterfly Conservatory on Hespeler Road,
- walk or cycle the Cambridge to Paris rail trail which follows the river Grand.
- Come for the annual ‘Rock the Mill’ music festival or the Highland Games every July.
- Take in an exhibition or show at the new and thriving Centre of Arts.
- And finally don't miss the farmers' market. It's been running since 1830 and is still held in the same building..... Vendors come from far and wide!
Use our guide to the best places to stay in Cambridge, Ontario and start to plan your trip.
For Country House Comfort
- Built in 1902, Langdon Hall Country House is an elegant five star hotel and spa set in the Carolinian forest. Its suites are tastefully presented with antique furniture complementing the original features. There's also an award winning restaurant (with cookery lessons for keen foodies), and there are twelve kilometres of walking trails through the forest on your doorstep.
Best Hotels in Cambridge, Ontario
Langdon Hall Country House 52 rooms from $322Cambridge, Ontario (Cambridge)
A spectacular 1902 five star hotel and spa nestled in the Carolinian forest. Tastefully decorated suites with original sash windows, fine fabrics, feather and down beds and antique furnishings. Award winning restaurants serve gourmet dishes paired with fine wines. Classically stylish.Cooking classes - Interactive cooking demonstration changes weekly depending on what guests wish to learn.Great walks - There are over 12 km of walking trails on the property through Carolinian forest.Swimming Pool - Outdoor.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux