Search the best hotels in Dominica
Known as ’the nature island’ Dominica boasts beautiful volcanic beaches and fantastic diving, as well as a lush, mountainous interior — making it especially popular with outdoor enthusiasts. The largest and least developed of the Windward Islands, this is a brilliant base for a tranquil escape, and there’s an appealing range of hotels, guesthouses and resorts to choose from. Many of the best places to stay in Dominica promise breath-taking sea views, but it’s well worth taking the time to explore the island’s verdant interior, too.
For a sense of the island’s history, begin with the Dominica Museum in Roseau, the capital. Strongly influenced by close ties to the neighbouring islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe, Dominica has a fascinating French Creole culture — and yet the official language is English. Do take the time to stroll the streets of Roseau, to visit thriving markets and to feast on the island’s delicious fare, making the most of fantastically fresh and flavoursome ingredients from both land and sea.
Dominica’s vast interior features dazzling waterfalls, sulphurous hot springs, a boiling lake, and myriad paths for hikers and explorers to navigate — including the Caribbean’s first long-distance hiking trail. Tucked amongst these rugged hills and rainforest-clad mountains are some of our favourite island hideaways: the ultimate escape from the rest of the world.
Back at the beach, you can expect striking dark, volcanic sands, excellent water sports, and world-class diving. Don’t miss the chance to go whale watching on the southern coast, or to experience some spectacular diving and snorkelling in the Champagne area.
Whether you’re eager to kick back at the coast or head off into the hills, this Caribbean gem really is one for lovers of the great outdoors. The best places to stay in Dominica fill up fast — book your stay well in advance if travelling during peak season!
The Best Places to Stay in Dominica
- Secret Bay is the ultimate honeymoon hideaway, with a small collection of luxurious villas set amidst the rainforest. Think private plunge pools, a superb spa, a plethora of watersports and delectable cuisine — all with a real sense of tranquility and seclusion. A brilliant barefoot escape with spectacular sea views.
For Boutique Chic
- Pagua Bay House promises a laid-back boutique stay in four spacious cabanas and two suites, boasting ocean views and an ideal location just a short drive from Douglas-Charles Airport. Rooms are spacious and stylish, with high ceilings and luxury linens, whilst the bar & grill is a relaxed hub, perfect for kicking back after a big day out on the water. An intimate haven.
- Cabrits Resort & Spa is an extensive seaside resort with 151 cool, contemporary rooms and suites, offering flexible options for families, couples and groups. Pick this place for the many facilities — including a range of restaurants, a generous spa, tennis courts, water sports and swimming pools. There's a great kids club, too, and heaps for guests of all ages to enjoy. Family-friendly luxury.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to one of Dominica's two small airports: Douglas-Charles Airport or Canefield Airport. There are regular international connections from Puerto Rico, San Juan and Martinique. You can then travel by bus or taxi to your destination. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup in advance.
- There's so much to see on the island! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Dominica is a wonderful year-round destination, with balmy temperatures of around 27 - 30°C. Peak season is between February and May, so travel outside those months to avoid the crowds! Do expect more rainfall from September to November, which is also hurricane season.
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Martinique.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Dominica
Best Hotels in Dominica
Pagua Bay Marigot, Dominica from £156Views - Great views from hotelRomantic BreakSailing - Can be booked nearby.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
An intimate boutique hillside property, with six romantic cabanas. Contemporary chic interiors, private balconies, and all the mod cons. An excellent Caribbean and fusion restaurant, lovely bar, pool, and endless ocean views. Totally relaxing, barefoot luxury, not overstated. See More
Cabrits Resort & Spa Portsmouth, Dominica 151 rooms from £199Romantic Break - With romantic, waterfront suites, picturesque pools and a full-service spa, book this hotel for a special couples' retreatLocal exploring - With the Cabrits National Park a stone's throw away, there is lots to explore local to this resortBeach Life - Set on the beautiful Caribbean island of Dominica, this resort makes for an idyllic beach getawaySights nearby - Visit the Boiling Lake in the neighbouring national park, the second-largest hot spring in the world and a UNESCO heritage site
This five-star, luxury resort is surrounded by the Cabrits National Park on Dominica, offering a gateway to the best eco-tourism on the island. Guestrooms are bright and airy, with magnificent mountain views and Caribbean-inspired hardwood furniture. Complete with a spa, this is an indulgent stay. See More
Harmony Villa Pont Casse, Dominica 3 rooms from £255Families - Comfortably sleeps 4 adults and 2 children making this a good option for older families and multi-generational holidaysLocal exploring - Wonderfully secluded yet within reach of everything the island has to offer; perfect base for day tripsExclusive use - Can only be booked as an entire home, rather then individual rooms. Meal packages can be arrangedHideaway - Tranquil rural haven surrounded by acres of tropical forest; stay here to get away from it all
Rustic & homely three-bedroom villa situated amid two acres of rainforest in the centre of the island. Decorated and kitted out as the owner's house, there is a relaxed and cosy feel throughout with eclectic art-filled living areas, a large veranda & quaint bedrooms. A tropical home-away-from-home. See More
Secret Bay Dominica from £642Views - Panoramic views from its clifftop location out to seaHoneymoons - A Robinson Crusoe paradise.Romantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A Robinson Crusoe paradise. Barefoot luxury, panoramic sea views, a private beach, private pool on your balcony, fully stocked kitchen and personal chef. Each bungalow up in the rock face and surrounded by tropical plants. Diving, snorkelling, yoga, reading. The ultimate honeymoon. See More