Search the best hotels in Martinique
Set between Dominica and St Lucia, the French Caribbean island of Martinique offers picturesque beaches, verdant rainforest and an intriguing history — as well as some top-notch rum! Particularly popular with visitors from France, Martinique boasts a wide range of accommodation options, from cosy guesthouses to blissful boutique hotels, catering to a whole spectrum of budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Martinique promises Creole charm aplenty, and a real taste of the island’s leafy, laid-back style.
Martinique’s southern half is its most touristic, home to many of the island’s hotels, delicious eateries and cultural sites, as well as being fringed with beautiful beaches. Those on the Caribbean side have a reputation for being calmer and more protected than the Atlantic Ocean beaches — ideal for tranquil swims or days of sandcastle-building with the kids. The sandy stretches of Grande Anse des Salines and Pointe Marin in the Sainte-Anne area are popular for good reason!
Beaches aside, head to the island’s capital of Fort-de-France for evidence of the French-Creole architectural fusion which makes Martinique so special. Whether you’re on the hunt for some gorgeous beachwear, spices or a bottle of local rum, this is absolutely the place to go. Across the bay sits Les Trois-îlets, a historic town best-known as the birthplace of Napoleon’s first wife, Josephine. Her family’s eighteenth-century sugar plantation is now open to visitors as La Pagerie Museum, whilst the nearby La Savane des Esclaves details the history of slavery in Martinique through moving, informative exhibitions and a wonderful medicinal garden.
The north, on the other hand, is Martinique’s eco-tourism centre, enveloped in the lush rainforest which covers almost one-third of the island, and dominated by dramatic Mount Pelée. Don’t miss hiking through the verdant undergrowth, discovering cascading waterfalls and spotting all manner of flora and fauna. Close to the island’s northern tip sits Habitation Céron, an old plantation with spectacular gardens and an excellent alfresco restaurant — highly recommended for foodies or nature lovers eager to marvel at towering trees and bright tropical flowers. The coastal town of Saint-Pierre, at the foot of Mount Pelée, is also worth a stop. Destroyed within minutes when the volcano erupted in 1902, the town was previously a key cultural and trading hub. It has since been rebuilt, and the nearby bay is great for diving amidst the wrecks of fishing boats, sunk during the blast. Getting out on the water is also a brilliant way to see the island’s many wonders, whether on a day cruise or a fun, family snorkeling trip.
Back in the south, round things off at Habitation Clément, a striking rum distillery with extensive tropical gardens, as well as a contemporary art gallery. Pick up a bottle to sip at home, and retreat to one of the best places to stay in Martinique for fantastic fresh seafood and the chance to bask in the sunshine.
The Best Places to Stay in Martinique
- French Coco has 17 chic suites, many of which feature private plunge pools. Tucked away in a traditional fishing village on the east coast, the hotel has a tranquil, intimate feel, with leafy gardens, spacious bedrooms and a lovely, laid-back cocktail and tapas lounge. Kick back with a classic rum punch amidst elegant, Creole-style decor. A romantic couples' retreat.
- Apolline is an elegant guesthouse nestled under century-old trees in a residential part of Fort-de-France. The four rooms and suites are airy and characterful, there's a gorgeous swimming pool, a funky bar and delightful 'table d'hôte' menus to choose from if you decide to dine in. Ideal for couples.
For Families or Groups
- La Pagerie is a tropical garden resort with 95 rooms and family-friendly suites in Les Trois Ilets. The large swimming pool has an all-day swim-up bar; there are fun cocktails, fabulous food and frequent live music evenings. Speak to the team about arranging everything from watersports to golf, before unwinding with a poolside massage. A welcoming pick for families or groups.
- Hotel Pelican offers five simple, stylish studios with sea-facing balconies, a shared swimming pool and direct beach access. Perfect for longer, self-catering stays as a couple, small group of friends or family. Some studios have sofa beds for additional guests.
- The Bahi Villa can be booked by the room or on an exclusive basis for up to 14 guests. Expect sea views, a private swimming pool, modern interiors and great food. The in-house yacht is a seriously special addition! Brilliant for big family or group gatherings.
- La Suite Villa is a striking hilltop property with 15 suites and garden villas. Chef Florent Boucher and Director Nicolas Magie cook up a storm using organic island produce at Le Zandoli, one of the best restaurants on Martinique. The lively party feel and the beautiful views from the infinity pool add to the appeal. For fun-loving, food-minded couples and groups of friends.
- Hotel Simon boasts cool, contemporary decor, panoramic ocean views and excellent meeting facilities from its base in central Fort-de-France. Michelin-starred Chef Marcel Ravin crafts Creole-influenced gourmet fare at the intimate La Table de Marcel, as well as at Le Bistrot des Flamands and Le Bolibar, a more informal lounge space. A sophisticated foodie choice.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly from London or Paris directly to Martinique's Aimé Césaire International Airport. You can also fly to nearby St Lucia, and take a ferry or 10-minute plane ride to Martinique from there.
- Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup, or you can hop in a taxi to your villa. The island's small size means that journeys shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car to explore Martinique's many attractions. Well set-up and easy to navigate, this is an excellent place to drive.
- Martinique is a wonderful year-round destination, with balmy temperatures of around 27 - 30°C. Peak season is between February and May, so travel outside those months to avoid the crowds! Do expect more rainfall from September to November.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in St Lucia.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Martinique
Best Hotels in Martinique
La Pagerie Les Trois-Îlets, Martinique 96 rooms from £153Total relaxation - Ticks all the boxes for tropical beach breaks; palm-fringed pool, outdoor spa treatments, al fresco dining and activities nearbySwimming Pool - Set over 220 sq metres, the tropical resort-style pool comes with thatched parasols and swim-up all-day pool barBeach Life - The famous white-sand beaches of Anse Mitan - considered the best on the island - are minutes away on footRestaurant - Three dining areas include Creole flavours for breakfast & dinner at Le Pitayar restaurant, Tropical Cafe and poolside Palm Bar
Four-star resort in popular Trois Ilets area. Pretty rooms located in colonial-inspired buildings are surrounded by lush gardens. A large free-form pool with its buzzing swim-up bar is the heart of the property. Enjoy fab restaurant & local evening entertainment. A safe choice for fun in the sun. See More
Hotel Simon Fort-de-France, Martinique 95 rooms from £158Foodies - Considered one of the island's best restaurants, upmarket and intimate La Table de Marcel offers locally-inspired French cuisineCity Style - Designed by renowned architect Didier Lefort, refined minimalist aesthethic feels sleek and contemporary yet warm and invitingBusiness meetings - Ideal for business with cental location, meeting rooms, conference facilities and fine-dining to celebrate a dealRestaurant - Choose between drinks and light bites at Boli Bar, casual fare at Le Bistrot des Flamands or fine-dining at La Table de Marcel
Contemporary corporate hotel in the centre of Fort-de-France offering stunning sea views. Two impressive restaurants, a bay-view bar and plush rooms designed with Asiatic-inspired decor make this a comfortable base. Appealing to those after paired-back yet an elegant modern vibe. See More
Hotel Pelican Schoelcher, Martinique 5 rooms from £181Local exploring - With its convenient location, the hotel offers a base to explore both the north and southern parts of the island easilyBeach Life - There's direct access to white-sand Case Navire beach, just a few metres from the propertyTotal relaxation - A fab place to simply relax; spend sunny days rotating between the pool and nearby beachGreat walks - Martinique Natural Regional Park is nearby. Head out for hikes amongst lush tropical forest and admire the island's rich flora
Sea-front self-catering studios with fantastic views in the village of Schoelcher. Light & airy rooms combine fresh whitewashed palettes with colour pops, fun decor and sunset-facing balconies. Look out to the sea from the pool & sundeck or explore the nearby beach. Ideal for couples and long stays. See More
Apolline Fort-de-France, Martinique 4 rooms from £190City Style - Stylish curated look - think ethnic prints, trompe-l'oeil frescoes and vintage art - makes this a favourite of those in the knowGroups - Up to six can sleep comfortably in the stunning Grand Ambassador Suite. Enjoy the terrace with Caribbean Sea viewsRomantic Break - Sexy Victoria Suite comes with draped four-posted bed, delivering the ultimate tropical island fantasyViews - From its elevated location, the property offers panoramic views over the bay of Fort-de-France
Chic boutique guesthouse in a quiet residential area with amazing views over Fort-de-France bay. Set amongst a mature wooded park, the modernist mansion with art deco influences offers airy suites with recently renovated on-trend decor. Spend lazy days by the infinity pool. A cool couples' base. See More
The Bahi Villa Les Trois-Îlets, Martinique 7 rooms from £203Exclusive use - Rent the entire property by the week. Sleeping up to 14, this is a great option for families, groups of friends or weddingsSwimming Pool - Infinity swimming pool and deck offers amazing panoramic views over sea and Les Trois Ilets bayTotal relaxation - The perfect place to do very little in beautiful surroundings; eat, swim, sleep and repeatDiving - There's a diving school nearby for those looking to get their PADI qualification
Contemporary sea-view villa in Les Trois-Îlets booked by the room or in its entirety. Guests can enjoy an infinity pool, a large sun deck & private balconies - all overlook the bay. Relaxed public areas, poolside breakfast and shared kitchen give a homely feel. Ideal spot for barefoot luxe breaks. See More
La Suite Villa Les Trois-Îlets, Martinique 15 rooms from £207Foodies - On-site chefs Nicolas Magie & Florent Boucher create some of the finest cuisine on the island, all centered around local produceGroups - One, two and three-bedroom villas come with 6-person hot tubs and large garden-facing living areas, complete with kitchenRomantic Break - Fun flirty feel is infectious; enjoy romantic spa treatments, sunset cocktails and soaks in hot tubs under the starsPrivate Hot Tub - All suites and villas come with a private hot tub; those in suites offer amazing views over Fort-De-France bay
Colourful hilltop property overlooking Fort-de-France bay, walking distance to a white-sand beach. Made up of stand-alone garden villas & sea-view suites, each with their own hot tub. There's two highly-rated restaurants, a spa & bay-facing infinity pool. Romantic retreat with happening party vibes. See More
French Coco La Trinité, Martinique from £226Total relaxation - Book an in-suite massage to complete the experience at this relaxing boutique break; enquire with the concierge for detailsRomantic Break - With discreet private suites, a gorgeous swiming pool and romantic bar, book this hotel for an indulgent couples' getawayBack to Nature - Located next to the beautiful Presqu'Île Caravelle nature reserve, book this hotel for a luxury back-to-nature retreatSurfing - Get acquainted with the waves off the coast with surf classes; ask the concierge to help you reserve with a local agencyRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This boutique island retreat is set alongside a nature reserve on the Atlantic coast of Martinique. Elegant guest suites have Caribbean-inspired wooden furnishings and Creole interior design, opening onto a pool terrace and intimate garden. A luxurious base to explore the island from. See More