Search the best hotels in Soufriere
Soufriere is a peaceful fishing village on beautifully round Soufriere Bay, a sunken volcanic crater. The hills around the village are surrounded in lush rainforest, dotted here and there with old plantations and new hotels. Choosing the best places to stay in Soufriere is dependant on your preference for beautiful views over private beach access, but there are a number of very nice options.
One of the hottest things to do on your visit to Soufriere is visit the sulphur springs, which are situated behind the town. The creamy water then cascades down the hills via a series of beautiful rock pools. The other is taking a drive into the volcano - yes, it is possible.
If you've an adventurous spirit, or you just appreciate a spectacular view, then it's worth trying to ascend the Gros Piton, one of the two magnificent conical mountains emerging directly from the sea just south of Soufriere.
There's plenty of interest on the coast as well, with a stretch of reef just off-shore, ideal for snorkellers, and peaceful stretches of soft, white sand for those who don't want to do much at all.
Try the local rum at one of the numerous local rum shacks, where you can often get a very decent bite to eat as well.
What not to miss
- Tet Paul Nature Park is a gorgeous area, full of stunning natural scenery and wonderful hiking trails. Simply divine.
- Alternatively, the Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens is another wonderful spot to visit with its beautiful flowers and lovely waterfall.
- Spend an afternoon basking in the restorative pools of the New Jerusalem Mineral Baths.
The avoid disappointment, be sure to book well ahead as the best places to stay in Soufriere get quickly booked up.
The best places to stay in Soufriere
- Anse Chastanet is a pre-air-conditioning and high-tech-gadgets resort, right on the beach front (though many of the rooms are located on the hillside above the beach), with complimentary watersports, gym, spa and tennis courts and a choice of five restaurants. Just off the coast are coral reefs, so it's perfect for snorkelers.
- Hotel Chocolat's tempting name comes from the cocoa plantation surrounding the 14 room hotel. Rooms are chic, modern and luxurious, and there's beautiful gardens, a luxurious spa and a lovely infinity pool. The restaurant menu is understandably cocoa based.
- Fond Doux Plantation is a stunning stay featuring secluded cottages with four-poster beds, plunge pools, and stunning views. Enjoy a volcanic mud wrap in the spa! Ideal for romantic breaks.
For a special occasion
- Sugar Beach, a Viceroy Resort is a great place to take your whole family for a special occasion. Stunningly situated, these 11 rooms are elegant and big - each with a private garden and plunge pool. The resort has clubs for both younger and older children - which sound really cool, and child-friendly menus, and there's tennis courts, a spa and gym, and a bar for the grownups. And direct beach access which impresses all age groups.
- If you're looking for a honeymoon destination, Ladera, with its adults-only ambience, colonial-chic decor, private plunge pools and spacious rooms with no fourth wall, is perfect. There are just 32 rooms and the views of the Pitons are incredibly memorable.
- Jade Mountain is a 28-room hotel on a mountainside overlooking the Piton Mountains in one direction and the coast in the other. Rooms are extremely luxurious, with modern details and private infinity pools. The seafood restaurant is supposed to be outstanding and the whole package is slick and chic.
- Set on a former lime and cocoa plantation, Stonefield Villa Resort is a dreamy escape with fantastic views of its gorgeous local surroundings. Boasting unfussy, self-catering, private villas and a charming restaurant, it's a top all-round spot.
For an apartment, holiday home or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering apartment, browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Soufriere stays a balmy 25-30°C year-round. However, it's worth noting that hurricane season peaks between August and September.
- Fly into either Hewanorra International Airport or George F.L Charles Airport before taking a bus over to Soufriere.
- High-season is generally from mid-December to mid-April, so you might want to consider avoiding visiting at this time.
- If you fancy exploring the island then hire a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Soufriere
Stonefield Villa Resort Soufriere (St Lucia) 18 rooms from £244Back to Nature - This stunning property is perched on a sea-facing hillside coated in dense tropical vegetationRomantic Break - A superb setting offering privacy and beauty-the ideal choice for a romantic getawayFishing - Full day fishing tours can be arranged upon request by Stonefield Villa ResortGreat walks - Wander along the beach at sunset and take in the gorgeous viewsRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Tablet, I Escape, Great Small Hotels
Stonefield Villa Resort is set on a former lime and cocoa plantation in the village of Soufriere. Unfussy individual villas equipped with their own kitchenettes, private pools and patios with fantastic surrounding views. Locally sourced meals at the Mango restaurant. Wonderfully romantic! See More
Fond Doux Plantation Soufriere Post Office 16 rooms from £247Great walks - Wander along the on site nature trail and learn about the crops they produce, the plantations history and take in the viewsBack to Nature - The lush forest provides an everchanging display of birds, flowers, insects and butterflies- be truly at one with natureBirdwatching - A birdwatchers paradise with St Lucia orioles, bananaquits, St Lucia pewees and hummingbirds- to name a few!Honeymoons - Wonderfully private cottages with fourposter beds are scatterd around the dense jungle on 135 acresRecommended by - I Escape, Great Small Hotels
A salt of the earth plantation retreat in lush jungle south of Soufriere. Secluded cottages with fourposter beds, private terraces and plunge pools are dotted amongst the cocoa and cinnamon trees. The food is authentic and hearty and the spa offers volcanic mud wraps. An eco-honeymooners dream. See More
Anse Chastanet Soufriere, St Lucia 49 rooms from £277Hideaway - No technology in the rooms, secluded spot in the bay and quiet ambience all leave you feeling truly relaxedSnorkelling - Surrounded by stunning coral reefsLocal markets - Choiseul, the island’s not-for-profit village co-operative that sells leatherwork, weaving, ragdolls and potteryFull of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Fodors
St Lucia as it was pre air-con and hi-tech. Large rooms have wooden shutters, hard wood floors, artworks and big terraces. Direct beach access, complimentary watersports, gym, spa and tennis courts. Five restaurants providing equally excellent cuisine. Piton views, jolly decor and relaxed ambience. See More
Boucan by Hotel Chocolat Soufriere, St Lucia 14 rooms from £351Back to Nature - Learn about where chocolate comes from, walk through the forests and take sailing tripsViews - Stunning views over St Lucia's famous PitonsCooking classes - Tree to Bar class, which starts with guests cutting cacao pods and ends with creating chocolate bars and trufflesSpa - Cacao Rejuvenated spa offers a wide range of treatments including massage, facials & much moreRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Contemporary hotel in a cocoa plantation. Rooms have dark wood furniture, modern four poster beds and sumptuous bathrooms. Outdoor infinity pool, gardens, spa and terrace. Excellent cocoa based menu, and great bar. Ideal for those wanting a slice of urban chic, off the beaten track. See More
Ladera Soufriere, St Lucia 32 rooms from £464Hideaway - Enjoy the luxurious spa, jaw-dropping views, adults only ambience and seclusion of your private poolCooking classes - Daily morning cookery demonstrations at the bar at Dasheene.Sailing - Travel to Martinique aboard the Flying RayRestrictions on children - Children are not allowedRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Sugar Beach, a Viceroy Resort Soufriere, St Lucia 78 rooms from £796Foodies - Farm to Table tour with Chef Daniel Hurtado to source the organic produce, visit fish market and then cook it up togetherFamilies - Clubs for both older and younger children, including kayaking and treasure hunts, babysitters and child friendly menusOutstanding location - Stunning location at the foot of St Lucia's iconic PitonsGreat walks - A fifteen minutes boat ride via water taxi will take you to the base of Gros Piton where one starts the hikeRecommended by - Fodors, Kiwi Collection, Tablet
Stunningly situated, gorgeous family-friendly hotel. Elegant rooms have white furniture, chandeliers, walk-in closets and opulent bathrooms. Each room has private garden and plunge pool. Tennis courts, gym and spa, direct beach access. Outstanding cuisine, chic bar. Luxurious and spacious. See More
Jade Mountain Soufriere, St Lucia 28 rooms from £1034Romantic Break - Adult ambience, private infinity pools, jaw dropping views and spa treatmentsSights nearby - Near the St. Lucia's famous Piton mountains, a Unesco World Heritage SiteRestrictions on children - Children over 16 welcomeOn the beach - Two private beachesRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Sublime hotel in the mountainside. The spacious rooms all have views of Piton Mountains, wooden floors, modern furniture and private infinity pools. Shared outdoor pool, gym, spa and tennis courts. Outstanding seafood cuisine, slick bar area. Luxurious, stunning and chic. See More