- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Book Now
Search the best hotels in St. Thomas
About St. Thomas
Capital of the US Virgin Islands, St. Thomas is also a gateway to paradise for many. Its jungle-covered peaks make the beaches seem whiter, and more idyllic, and it's obvious why this near-perfect island has been drawing people in since man invented boats. First as a favourite of pirates, then as a trading port, and now the cruise ship crowds. The best places to stay in St. Thomas are a mix of large hotels and small, independent inns.
It may not seem obvious at first but there are some distinct benefits for staying near a cruise port. The shopping is some of the best in the Caribbean, whilst there's a huge range when it comes to bars and restaurants - with some very high calibre options, and everyone's gone by the afternoon so you have all of it to yourself! Plus, there are some truly exceptional beaches within walking distance.
St. Thomas is the hub of ferry links to the other islands in the US Virgin Group. One of which is a largely protected national park, the other of which is quieter, flatter and less developed.
What Not To Miss
- Whilst St. Thomas boasts an array of lovely beaches, Lindquist Beach is an absolute gem. A $5 entrance fee assures a fair amount of privacy, so you can enjoy the long, white stretches of sand and turquoise waters to yourselves. A serene spot to soak up the sun.
- Climb up the 99 steps (there are actually 103 of them!), a historical route leading up to the top of the hill where you can enjoy splendid views of the island. From here, head onto Blackbeard's Castle and go on a guided tour so you learn all about its pirate past.
- St. Thomas Historical Trust Museum is the only museum in town, the ideal place for tourists wanting to learn more about the island's history. A nice spot to spend an hour or two.
- Pavilions & Pools, St. Thomas, is a collection of 25 villas, nestling in a private, tropical setting. Each villa has its own BBQ area, pool, terrace, kitchen and living area, and all the mod. cons. a modern family needs. The hotel has its own restaurant, but there are also plenty nearby.
- Paradise Cove offers a selection of accommodation - from condos and cottages to cabanas and suites, within walking distance of Secret Harbour. Every room has its own kitchen, and some have generous living areas and sea views too. The larger cottages sleep up to six.
- Galleon House is a great value B&B, offering simple rooms from just £61 per night. Some even have two double beds which is ideal for families. Sunbathe by the pool or spend your day at the beach, just a short distance away.
For a beach break
- Bolongo Bay is picturesque beach resort overlooking a beautiful bay.The accommodation is simple and comfortable whilst they boast great watersports facilities, three restaurants, tennis courts, a pool, and they also run sailing lessons. The two-bedroom condos comfortably sleep four.
For a special occasion
- The Ritz Carlton is a large, top of the range, five star tropical estate for travellers looking for nothing but the best. 155 rooms share four gourmet restaurants, a large spa and health club, tennis courts, private yachts and a private beach.
For Local Exploring
- Bunker Hill Hotel is located in Charlotte Amelie's historic district, just a stone's throw away from many of the island's sights. With tasteful rooms, an excellent Caribbean restaurant as well as an indoor and an outdoor pool, it's a top spot.
- There's never really a bad time to visit St. Thomas, with the weather consistently sunny throughout the year.
- However, rainfall's highest from August through to November, whilst storms and hurricanes are likeliest to occur in August and September.
- International visitors can fly into Cyril E. King Airport, located 4 miles east of the capital city, Charlotte Amalie.
- Be warned however that there are no direct flights from the UK and most require a long layover, resulting in an overall travel time of up to 30 hours.
- From the airport, either hop in a regular taxi or in a dollar taxi (the favourite of locals). These just have one route but stop various times along the way, so if you know where you're going these can be a great option.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
For An Apartment Or Holiday Home
If you think a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay on St. Thomas.
- Expand your search to the best places to stay in the US Virgin Islands.
- Widen the net to include all the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in St. Thomas
Galleon House 14 rooms from $78St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
A comfortable yet great value B&B situated on Government Hill, boasting stunning views both of the town and harbour. Simple rooms, some with two double beds, restaurant with a verandah, bar, and a fresh water pool and sun deck for cooling off in. Near all the town's attractions.Views - Stunning views out to sea and over rooftops.Value chicSights nearby - Federick Lutheran Church, Virgin Islands Legislature Building, and Emancipation Garden.Swimming Pool - Fresh water pool and sun deck.
Bunker Hill Hotel 15 rooms from $92St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
A very pleasant hotel set in Charlotte Amelie's historic district, with sea views and stunning vistas over rooftops below. Charming rooms have attractive furnishings and comfortable beds. Excellent Caribbean restaurant with a terrace, indoor and outdoor pool, and easy access to the beach.Views - Stunning seaviews from balconies.Sights nearby - Haagensen House, Emancipation Garden, and Blackbeard's Castle.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Paradise Cove from $137St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
A collection of condos, cottages, cabanas, and suites within walking distance of Secret Harbour. Each accommodation has its own kitchen, living area, charming bedrooms, and sea views. Pool, massages, and easy access to beaches and the nearest town. An ideal spot for a family holiday.Families - Cottages sleep up to 6 and each have their own kitchenettes and living areas.Views - Fabulous views over Nazareth BaySights nearby - A few minutes away from Red Hook (town) featuring 19 restaurants and bars, plus many specialty stores.Great walks - A nature trail leads down to the beach
Pavilions & Pools from $200St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
A collection of 25 villas nestled in a private tropical setting. Each has its own BBQ area, pool, terrace, kitchen and living area. All the mod cons including DVD players and sound systems. The hotel has a separate restaurant too for when you don't feel like cooking. An ideal spot for families.Families - Each villa is ideal for a family with its BBQ, pool, kitchen, living areas and terraces.Sights nearby - American Yacht Harbor and Coral World Ocean Park.Swimming Pool - All villas have their own private outdoor pools.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Bolongo Bay 71 rooms from $220St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
A fantastic beach resort set in a picturesque bay, ideal for families and avid beach goers who enjoy lots of summer sports. Simple comfortable rooms and suites, some sleep 4, all have balconies. Three restaurants, gourmet and beachy, tennis courts, pool, sailing.Foodies - Excellent restuarants offering a variety from Caribbean cuisine, seafood, and buffet dinners.Families - Condos have two bedrooms sleeping 4.Views - Great views from hotelBeach Life
Ritz Carlton, US Virgin Islands 155 rooms from $419St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
A top of the range Five Star tropical estate for luxury travellers. Stunning suites in contemporary classic style, four gourmet restaurants, spa and health club, tennis, private beach and hotel yachts to charter. Expect nothing less than the best for a romantic beach holiday.Foodies - Four distinctive dining experiences include Bleuwater, Great Bay Lounge, Coconut Cove and Sails.Garden - A 30 acre tropical estate.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - Fodors