- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in St John
About St John
St. John is just off the coast of St. Thomas, but couldn't be more different. St. John is almost entirely national park or untouched forest and only the very fringes - or beaches - are developed. It's possible to camp on some parts of the island, but the best places to stay on St. John are the large but quiet hotel resorts, or the little independent charmers which can be found in the island's two small towns.
Visitors to St. John arrive by ferry from St. Thomas - and find a whole new world here. It's certainly lush, but as well as jungle and rainforest, St. John's interior is also home to several species of cacti.
While two thirds of the island is now national park, it hasn't always been. The park incorporates the ruins of sugar mills and plantations, ancient settlements, as well as virgin forest.
Offshore is just as spectacular and this is a great place to spot unusual sea creatures, including turtles and eagle rays.
What Not To Miss
- Whilst the island is surrounded by lovely beaches, we'd recommend in particular the long sandy sweeps of Maho Beach, Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay.
- Those into snorkelling will find Waterlemon Cay an ideal spot, home to a wide array of marine life.
- If you want to learn all about the island's history and the lives of its former slaves, head to Annaberg Sugar Plantation. Be sure to head around with a guide.
- Hikers should definitely check out the forestal Reef Bay Trail.
Most of our selection of the best places to stay in St John are located around Cruz Bay, but there's also the Concordia Eco Resort on the eastern side of the island.
For a special occasion
- The Gallows Point Resort has an enviable location, nestled into a rocky bay, with panoramic views of the bright blue seas around this national park island. The accommodation is generously sized and luxurious and the facilities very comfortable. There are plenty of sun decks on which to enjoy a cocktail in the evenings.
- Caneel Bay is a luxurious hotel on a beautiful, remote bay. Everything is done to make the most of the postcard perfect sea views, and there are large balconies and big windows. This is a larger resort, so you also have a choice of five restaurants and plenty of options when it comes to facilities too.
For great value
- The St John Inn is a colourful, ten-room, beachfront guesthouse with all mod. cons. plus hammocks for appreciating the very best of the sea views. As well as easy access to the beach, you also have easy access to tennis courts and a golf course.
- Also right by the beach, Garden by the Sea B&B has just three, romantically styled rooms in a secluded spot. Peaceful, private and unfussy. And rooms start from just £99 per night.
For something different
- Concordia Eco Resort is a collection of condos, tents and studio apartments set on a green hillside, overlooking a beautiful bay. Each room has its own kitchen, but there's also a rustic restaurant and the vibe is laid-back and friendly.
- Estate Lindholm is a 14-room B&B converted from an old Danish estate. There are stunning views out to sea and towards Cruz Bay, plus you're just back from the beach and the nightlife.
For A Villa or Holiday Home
If you think you'd be best served by a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Whilst warm year-round (ranging from 22-32°C), you're best avoiding visiting St. John from July to November as this is hurricane season.
- Peak season is from December to March so expect the place to be fairly crowded - for a quieter and cheaper alternative, consider visiting from April to June.
- International visitors should fly into St Thomas's Cyril E. King Airport before taking a taxi to Red Hook and then the ferry across to St. John.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in St. John.
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in the US Virgin Islands or the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Alternatively, feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in St John
Garden by the Sea B&B 3 rooms from £123St John, US Virgin Islands
A beach chic B&B with romantic suites in colourful pastels. Four poster beds with attractive muslin drapes, verandahs with dreamy sea views onto white sands, all in a secluded location. Perfect for a romantic beach holiday with a book, lots of sun, and simple accommodation.Views - Beautiful views from verandahs out to sea.Remote - Off the beaten track.Four poster beds - For romantics.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Concordia Eco Resort 48 rooms from £150St John, US Virgin Islands
A collection of condos, tents, and studio apartments set in the verdant hillside above a bay. Charming wooden built accommodation, each with private kitchens, balconies, and sea views. Rustic restaurant, beaches to explore, relaxed bar, and plenty of watersports. Ideal for a laid back holiday.EcoViews - Great views from hotelGreat walks - Bordeaux Mountain Trail, Ram Head Trail.Swimming Pool - Outdoor freshwater poolRecommended by - Fodors
Estate Lindholm 14 rooms from £173St John, US Virgin Islands
An intimate B&B set amongst the Danish ruins of the estate's original settlers. Stunning views out to sea and towards Cruz Bay. Set on a hillside, back from the beach and walking distance to restaurants and nightlife. Large rooms with balconies and attractive furnishings. Excellently placed.Views - Fabulous sea views from every room.Swimming Pool - Fresh water pool and decking area with views out to sea.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
St John Inn 10 rooms from £115St John, US Virgin Islands
A colourful beach front guesthouse with rainbow rooms and excellent prices. Bright accommodations have all the mod cons and balconies with hammocks. Lovely breakfast and bar area with sea views. Tennis court on site, easy access to golf and beach activities. Ideal for families.Value chicSights nearby - Elaine Lone Sprauve Library and Museum.Views - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Gallows Point Resort 60 rooms from £226St John, US Virgin Islands
A stunning setting for a luxurious beach hotel. Large rooms and suites with kitchenettes, balconies, and sea views are nestled into the bay. Wonderful pool and sun deck area, sea views from the verandah of the American restaurant, and a lively bar to enjoy a cocktail from in the evenings.Views - Panoramic island viewsRomantic BreakLuxuryBeach Life
Caneel Bay 166 rooms from £406St John, US Virgin Islands
A luxury hotel set on a beautiful remote bay. Large attractive rooms and suites have DVD players, balconies, and sea views. Five restaurants, health club and beauty treatments, tennis courts, candle lit dinners on the beach. Luxurious, romantic, relaxing.LuxuryBeach LifeRomantic BreakKids Club - Turtle Town is free for all children aged 3-11 and offers a wide range of supervised activities.Recommended by - Fodors