US Virgin Islands
Search the best hotels in US Virgin Islands
About US Virgin Islands
The three large islands in the group differ greatly from each other, ranging from cruise-ship mecca to camping-ground fringed national park, so the best places to stay in the US Virgin Islands are a very mixed bag as well. The Hotel Guru's selection of hotels in the US Virgin Islands features properties on each of the islands, ranging from comfortable B&Bs to luxury resort hotels featuring every facility you can think of. If you’re not sure which island is your own idea of tropical island perfection you should read our guide to Where to Stay first, if you’ve picked your island skip to the hotel recommendations below.
People regularly note how few Americans have passports, but it's easier to understand when you hear that they can travel to the perfect, white-sandy topical island beauties of the US Virgin Islands without one. But this isn't the States but with better weather, the culture is West Indian, and it beats to a reggae backing track.
Where to stay? Which Island?
- St. Thomas is the main island in the group. It's been a trading port for centuries - first a favourite of pirates and now the cruise ship crowds. St. Thomas' shopping benefits from the extra visitors, and the main town, Charlotte Amalie, is quite famous for its boutiques. The extra visitors also increase the choice when it comes to bars and restaurants, and there are lots of a high standard. St. Thomas also has a number of exceptional beaches. This is where you'll find a lot of the large hotels, but its also got some lovely, small, independent inns.
- St. John isn't physically far from St. Thomas, but it couldn't be more different. Most of the island is untouched forest and national park, and only the fringes (read the beaches!) are developed. Visitors arrive by ferry from St. Thomas and stay in beachside campsites, large, but quiet, hotels or condos, in, or just outside St. John's two small towns.
- St. Croix is 40 miles south, a larger, flatter, and even less developed island, with just two very pretty towns - Christiansted and Fredriksted - one at either end of the island. St. Croix has mainly smaller resorts and almost all of its best beaches now come complete with a hotel. The towns have quite a few charming independent hotels.
- Water Island is the other main residential island, though its population is not much more than 200, and its location, in the Charlotte Amalie Harbour, means it’s often thought of as part of St. Thomas. But there are a number of guesthouses on the island, and it’s probably one of the best places to stay in the US Virgin Islands if you’re here to dive, or to enjoy a quiet stretch of beach.
- There are another 50 or so islands and cays in the group, including several entirely protected as national parks, and several private island resorts.
Don't forget that these paradise islands are extremely popular year round destinations. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in the US Virgin Islands, do yourself a favour and book well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay on The US Virgin Islands
For a beach resort
- The Tamarind Reef Resort, near Christiansted on St. Croix, is charming little hotel right on the beach overlooking Green Cay Island and Buck Island. There are just 39 rooms and suites, the majority with a private balcony or terrace, which are arranged in a tropical setting of landscaped gardens. You'll also find tennis courts, beach cabanas and a beautiful pool with a sea view. There are two hotel restaurants, plus a beauty salon.
- Also close to Christiansted, The Buccaneer offers a much larger resort experience, with 138 rooms, suites and cottages, and its own golf course, yoga centre and top of the range spa, as well as the usual watersports facilities, landscaped pool, private beach and choice of bars and restaurants.
- The Sandcastle on the Beach is right on the beach in Fredriksted, St.Croix, with a sun deck that stretches over the beautiful white sand of the bay. There are only 21 rooms and suites here, all of them with private balconies, beach umbrellas and deck chairs. There are two hotel pools, lined with palm trees hung with hammocks, the restaurant serves a good range of international cuisine, and the prices are good too.
- Bolongo Bay is a picturesque beach resort overlooking beautiful Bolongo Bay on St. Thomas — in front of you is the aqua Caribbean, and behind you are lush, green hills. The 71 rooms, suites and family condos, which sleep up to four, are simple and comfortable, and every room has a private balcony. There are great resort style facilities, with plenty of watersports equipment, plus tennis courts, a choice of bars and three excellent restaurants, offering a range of cuisines including Caribbean.
For all out luxury
- The Gallows Point Resort on St. John has an enviable location, nestled into a rocky bay, with panoramic views of the bright blue seas in front of the resort, and lush forests behind. The 60 rooms and suites are large as well as luxurious, and the majority have their own kitchenettes as well as balconies. There’s also a fantastic pool and sun deck, which is the perfect spot for cocktails of an evening,
- If you want large, top of the range luxury try the Ritz Carlton, close to Secret Harbour on St. Thomas. This 30 acre, five star tropical estate is built like a vast villa, with numerous verandahs and balconies, plus a huge spa and health club. There are also tennis courts, hotel yachts you can charter, a private beach and four very varied restaurants.
For a Caribbean escape
- Caneel Bay is a luxurious hotel on a beautiful, remote bay on St John. Everything is done to make the most of the postcard-perfect sea views, so there are large balconies and big windows. This isn’t a small escape, it does have 166 rooms and suites, but all have private balconies or terraces with sea views. This escape also benefits from a health club, beauty salon, tennis courts, a free kids club, and a choice of five restaurants — or your own private candlelit supper on the beach.
- The Concordia Eco Resort, in Concordia, on the south eastern tip of St. John, is a collection of condos, tents and studio apartments set on a green hillside, overlooking a beautiful bay. Each of the 49 accommodation choices has its own kitchen, but there's also a rustic restaurant and the vibe is laid-back and friendly.
- Estate Lindholm is a charming B&B on St John, nestled on a hillside looking towards Cruz Bay, with fabulous views from each of its 14 rooms. As well as the views, we’re recommending this B&B for its intimate feel and smart, attractive decor. It’s set in the ruins of a Danish plantation house built by the estate’s original settlers, so it’s historic too. There’s also a pool, and although there’s no restaurant you’re within a short stroll of some excellent ones.
- Another romantic option in St. John is the great value Garden by the Sea B&B, which has just three rooms. Each room is decorated in elegant muted shades with romantic feeling decor: think four poster bamboo beds with muslin drapes, dreamy views onto white sands and big, welcoming verandahs.
- If you’re looking for a great family resort on St. Croix, but you’re not a fan of the really huge ones, then the Chenay Bay Beach Resort might just be perfect. This collection of 29 rooms and single storey stone cottages, which all have their own kitchen and balcony with sea views, has lots of activities like the large resorts, but not the crowds. So you and your family can still play tennis, or go snorkelling on the private beach, or enjoy a huge resort infinity pool.
- Paradise Cove is one of our picks for the best value family hotels in the US Virgin Islands. It’s a collection of condos, cottages, cabanas and suites within a short walk of Secret Harbour, St. Thomas, and close to Red Hook, a little town with numerous bars and restaurants and a nice selection of boutiques and specialty stores. All of the accommodation offers a kitchen, living area and sea views, and the focus is on space, light and comfort. The largest cottages sleep up to six.
- Pavilions & Pools is another great family hotel on St. Thomas. We rate it because its 25 villas, nestled in a private, tropical setting, all have their own small pool, a terrace with a barbecue, and a full kitchen and comfortable living area with a DVD player and sound system. If you don’t fancy cooking there’s a hotel restaurant too, and a good selection nearby.
For great value
- Galleon House is a great little B&B on Government Hill, with stunning views over both St. Thomas and its harbour. There are 14 simple rooms, some wth two double beds, plus a sun deck with a pool and a view, a restaurant and a bar on the verandah.
- The Bunker Hill Hotel is another great value hotel with great views of St. Thomas, though this time in the Charlotte Amelie historic district, close to Haagensen House, Blackbeard’s Castle and Emancipation Garden. There are 15 rooms and suites, with attractive, island-holiday-feeling decor, plus both indoor and outdoor pools and an excellent Caribbean restaurant with a terrace. And you’re just a short walk from the beach.
- If you’re looking for great value on St. Croix, consider Carringtons Inn, a charming, four room B&B perched on a hill and offering panoramic views of the surrounding Christiansted area, and out to sea. The rooms are decorated with antiques, pastel colours and nice details, and our favourite rooms have private balconies. There’s also a lovely pool and courtyard.
- If you’re looking for great value on St. John consider the St John Inn, a colourful, ten room guesthouse which opens out right onto the beach. When we say colourful we’re not exaggerating, there really are a rainbow of rooms here, with bright decor, and balconies complete with hammocks. There’s a breakfast area with sea views and a great bar. There’s also a tennis court onsite.
Prefer an Apartment or Villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- You can fly into either St.Croix's Henry E. Rohlson Airport or St. Thomas's Cyril E. King Airport, but first you’ll probably need to get to Antigua or Miami. You can’t fly to St. John; if you choose one of our hotel recommendations here you’ll beed to catch a ferry across from St. Thomas.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- There's never really a bad time weather-wise to visit the US Virgin Islands — the average temperature hovers between 28-32°C throughout the year, though of course what you definitely want to avoid is hurricane season, which is at its worst between August and October here. You might also want to avoid St. Thomas and St. John during the peak periods of Caribbean travel, because there are a lot of cruise ship visitors between December and April. If you pressed us for the very best time to visit we probably favour April through June.
Still not sure which to book?
- You could refine your search to just the best places to stay in St. Thomas or the best places to stay in St. John, or St. Croix
- Or you could consider the best places to stay in the British Virgin Islands too
- Or look through our recommendations for the best places to stay in the Caribbean
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in US Virgin Islands
Best Hotels in US Virgin Islands
Galleon House St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 14 rooms from £60Views - Stunning views out to sea and over rooftops.Sights nearby - Federick Lutheran Church, Virgin Islands Legislature Building, and Emancipation Garden.Swimming Pool - Fresh water pool and sun deck.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
A comfortable yet great value B&B situated on Government Hill, boasting stunning views both of the town and harbour. Simple rooms, some with two double beds, restaurant with a verandah, bar, and a fresh water pool and sun deck for cooling off in. Near all the town's attractions. See More
Bunker Hill Hotel St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 15 rooms from £77Views - Stunning seaviews from balconies.Sights nearby - Haagensen House, Emancipation Garden, and Blackbeard's Castle.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
A very pleasant hotel set in Charlotte Amelie's historic district, with sea views and stunning vistas over rooftops below. Charming rooms have attractive furnishings and comfortable beds. Excellent Caribbean restaurant with a terrace, indoor and outdoor pool, and easy access to the beach. See More
Paradise Cove St Thomas, US Virgin Islands from £105Families - Cottages sleep up to 6 and each have their own kitchenettes and living areas.Views - Fabulous views over Nazareth BaySights nearby - A few minutes away from Red Hook (town) featuring 19 restaurants and bars, plus many specialty stores.Great walks - A nature trail leads down to the beach
A collection of condos, cottages, cabanas, and suites within walking distance of Secret Harbour. Each accommodation has its own kitchen, living area, charming bedrooms, and sea views. Pool, massages, and easy access to beaches and the nearest town. An ideal spot for a family holiday. See More
Carringtons Inn Christiansted, US Virgin Islands 4 rooms from £86Views - Its hilltop location ensures stunning views over the surrounding area and out to sea.Sights nearby - Holy Cross Catholic Church, Fort Christiansvaern, and St. Croix Government House.Restrictions on children - Adults only.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors
A really charming little Inn with B&B rooms and a two-bedroom condo (rental on a weekly basis). Pastel coloured cosy rooms with attractive furnishings and private balconies. Lovely pool and courtyard area. Lots to explore from the beach to the casino to small surrounding islands. See More
Sandcastle on the Beach Frederiksted,, US Virgin Islands 21 rooms from £116Beach LifeSights nearby - St Paul's Episcopal Anglican Church, St. Patrick's Catholic Church, and Frederiksted Pier.On the beach - The hotel provides beach umbrellas, towels, and deck chairs.Swimming Pool - Two pools.Recommended by - Fodors
A charming collection of rooms with private balconies just a short walk from the beach. Each room has all the mod cons, plus there are two swimming pools, hammocks swinging between palm trees, international cuisine and sea views. An ideal spot for pure beach life, and good value too. See More
Chenay Bay Beach Resort Christiansted, St. Croix 29 rooms from £116Families - Lots of activities; tennis, kayaking, snorkelling, golf and appropriate accommodation.Value chicSwimming Pool - Infinity pool.Diving - Good diving nearby.
A beachfront hotel with single storey stone cottages. Each suite is fully equipped with a kitchen, balcony, all the mod cons, and sea views. Large infinity pool, tennis court, snorkelling equipment, beach chairs, and restaurant. Plenty of activities for a perfect family holiday. See More
St John Inn St John, US Virgin Islands 10 rooms from £117Value chicSights nearby - Elaine Lone Sprauve Library and Museum.Views - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.
A colourful beach front guesthouse with rainbow rooms and excellent prices. Bright accommodations have all the mod cons and balconies with hammocks. Lovely breakfast and bar area with sea views. Tennis court on site, easy access to golf and beach activities. Ideal for families. See More
Garden by the Sea B&B St John, US Virgin Islands 3 rooms from £125Views - Beautiful views from verandahs out to sea.Four poster beds - For romantics.Remote - Off the beaten track.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
A beach chic B&B with romantic suites in colourful pastels. Four poster beds with attractive muslin drapes, verandahs with dreamy sea views onto white sands, all in a secluded location. Perfect for a romantic beach holiday with a book, lots of sun, and simple accommodation. See More
Pavilions & Pools St Thomas, US Virgin Islands from £156Families - Each villa is ideal for a family with its BBQ, pool, kitchen, living areas and terraces.Sights nearby - American Yacht Harbor and Coral World Ocean Park.Swimming Pool - All villas have their own private outdoor pools.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
A collection of 25 villas nestled in a private tropical setting. Each has its own BBQ area, pool, terrace, kitchen and living area. All the mod cons including DVD players and sound systems. The hotel has a separate restaurant too for when you don't feel like cooking. An ideal spot for families. See More
Tamarind Reef Resort Christiansted, US Virgin Islands 39 rooms from £156Beach Life - Beach cabanas and a short walk onto the beach.Views - Stunning beach views.Sailing - Marina with 154 slips for sailing and motor yachts + charters trips to Buck Island, sunset cruises, fishing and divingSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool overlooking the Caribbean Sea with views to Green Cay island and Buck Island.
A charming hotel on a private beach with fantastic facilities. Huge pool, gym, beauty salon, gardens, two excellent restaurants, beach cabanas and a tennis court. Rooms and suites in attractive pastel colours with private balconies and all the mod cons. An all round hotel. See More
Bolongo Bay St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 71 rooms from £172Foodies - Excellent restuarants offering a variety from Caribbean cuisine, seafood, and buffet dinners.Families - Condos have two bedrooms sleeping 4.Beach LifeViews - Great views from hotel
Estate Lindholm St John, US Virgin Islands 14 rooms from £176Views - Fabulous sea views from every room.Swimming Pool - Fresh water pool and decking area with views out to sea.Four poster beds - For romantics.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
An intimate B&B set amongst the Danish ruins of the estate's original settlers. Stunning views out to sea and towards Cruz Bay. Set on a hillside, back from the beach and walking distance to restaurants and nightlife. Large rooms with balconies and attractive furnishings. Excellently placed. See More
The Buccaneer St Croix, US Virgin Islands 138 rooms from £222Views - Stunning ocean views from suites and terraces.Golf - The hotel has its own golf course.Active Holiday - Golfing and watersports galore.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa.
An all round Four Star property with its own golf course, ocean views, yoga centre, top of the range spa, restaurants, and immediate access to the beach. Chic rooms, suites, and cottages are elegant with sophisticated furnishings. Ideal for beach enthusiasts, golf lovers, families, and spa goers. See More
Gallows Point Resort St John, US Virgin Islands 60 rooms from £230Views - Panoramic island viewsLuxuryBeach LifeRomantic Break
A stunning setting for a luxurious beach hotel. Large rooms and suites with kitchenettes, balconies, and sea views are nestled into the bay. Wonderful pool and sun deck area, sea views from the verandah of the American restaurant, and a lively bar to enjoy a cocktail from in the evenings. See More
Ritz Carlton, US Virgin Islands St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 155 rooms from £327Foodies - Four distinctive dining experiences include Bleuwater, Great Bay Lounge, Coconut Cove and Sails.Garden - A 30 acre tropical estate.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach LifeRecommended by - Fodors
A top of the range Five Star tropical estate for luxury travellers. Stunning suites in contemporary classic style, four gourmet restaurants, spa and health club, tennis, private beach and hotel yachts to charter. Expect nothing less than the best for a romantic beach holiday. See More
Caneel Bay St John, US Virgin Islands 166 rooms from £413LuxuryBeach LifeRomantic BreakKids Club - Turtle Town is free for all children aged 3-11 and offers a wide range of supervised activities.Recommended by - Fodors