US Virgin Islands
Search the best hotels in US Virgin Islands
About US Virgin Islands
Just east of Puerto Rico, the beautiful US Virgin Islands are a paradise for divers, sun-seekers and fans of the great outdoors. Accommodation options vary enormously, and include everything from simple B&Bs to swish seaside resorts. The group is made up of 50-odd islands and cays, but St Thomas — where the capital of Charlotte Amalie is located — St John and St Croix are the most popular. Our pick of the best places to stay in the US Virgin Islands features beautiful properties on all three of these larger islands. Regular regular ferries from St Thomas make it possible to visit all three during your time in the Caribbean, if you choose to do so!
St. Thomas is the group’s main island. Once a notorious pirate enclave and later a thriving trading port, the island now attracts high-end cruise ship crowds. These extra visitors ensure that St Thomas boasts an excellent selection of boutiques, chic restaurants and trendy bars. There are also striking beaches, ample water sports opportunities and activities aplenty on land, too. Nearby Water Island is fun for a day trip! Base yourself here for a fun and lively holiday.
Easily accessible by ferry, St. John has a very different feel. The Virgin Islands National Park covers two-thirds of this laid-back and very leafy island, making it a brilliant pick for wildlife or adventure enthusiasts. There are some great coastal campsites as well as small B&Bs, and we’re big fans of an eco-lodge on the south-east coast.
Larger and flatter, St. Croix sits 40 miles to the south. The pretty historic towns of Christiansted and Frederiksted are wonderful to explore on foot, and the island features smaller beach hotels. Once again, it is fabulous for diving and snorkelling, as well as cycling, horse riding and hiking. Don’t miss Buck Island Reef National Monument if you’re keen to marvel at the region’s rich marine life.
These islands are understandably popular — especially with holidaymakers from the USA. The best places to stay in the US Virgin Islands fill up fast during the festive season and over the school holidays, so book your trip well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay on The US Virgin Islands
For Historic Charm
- Company House Hotel offers 33 elegant rooms in a recently restored 18th-century building. Pick this place for the sense of history, comfortable bedrooms and inviting courtyard pool. An ideal base for exploring historic Christiansted as a family or couple.
- Estate Lindholm is perched on a hillside just north of St John's Cruz Bay. Set in the grounds of an old Danish estate, many of the 14 guestrooms have superb sea views, classic four-poster beds and big balconies. Cool off in the pool before heading into town. A tranquil couples' retreat.
For an Intimate B&B
- Garden by the Sea B&B has just three romantic guestrooms, with characterful furnishings and bold blue and green-painted walls. A gorgeous spot to kick back and relax within sight of the sea on St John.
- Carringtons Inn is an intimate, adults-only B&B with just four pastel-coloured rooms and one suite. Expect big breakfasts, a lovely pool and pretty views from the tranquil hillside location, just inland of Christiansted on St Croix.
For Families or Groups
- Tamarind Reef Resort is a laid-back St Croix beach hotel with landscaped gardens, four tennis courts, two restaurants and a plethora of land & sea-based activities. Great for families, spacious guestrooms are traditionally-decorated and have private, ocean-facing balconies. Friendly and affordable.
- Sandcastle on the Beach features 21 bright studios, suites and villas, some of which have two bedrooms. With two swimming pools, a great seafood restaurant and direct beach access, this is a fun mini-resort for a family or couples' trip. Close to Frederiksted, on the west coast of St Croix.
- Pavilions & Pools is a collection of 25 villas set in tropical gardens, not far from Lindquist Beach on St Thomas. Multi-room villas are ideal for families or groups, and feature private BBQ areas, swimming pools, terraces and well-equipped kitchens. The hotel has its own restaurant, and there are plenty more nearby. A great choice for independent-minded families or friends.
- Bolongo Bay offers simple, comfortable accommodation overlooking the ocean in the south of St Thomas. Two-bedroom apartments sleep up to four guests, and the resort has tennis courts, a swimming pool, great watersports and three restaurants. There are also excellent sailing lessons! For active families or groups.
- Coconut Coast Villas offers a collection of self-catering waterfront apartments in a quiet part of Cruz Bay. With up to three bedrooms, the larger apartments are perfect for families and groups. There are pretty balconies, as well as a shared swimming pool and hot tub. Very relaxed.
For Nature Lovers
- Concordia Eco Resort sits in a secluded location on St John's southeast coast, within the Virgin Islands National Park. Pick this place for the striking seaside setting, charming tents & simple studios, as well as the appealingly laid-back vibe. A rustic hideaway for nature lovers.
- The Buccaneer Beach & Golf Resort promises a very special St Croix stay. Rooms, suites and cottages have a classic Caribbean feel, and there are eight tennis courts, three pools, an 18-hole golf course, a superb spa and three restaurants. A wonderful luxury resort for families, couples and keen golfers, set on 340 oceanfront acres.
- Gallows Point Resort is a luxurious beach property with panoramic views of sparkling blue waters. Spacious rooms and suites feature stylish, Caribbean-inspired interiors, there are great watersports, a swimming pool, sundecks and a lively bar for sundowners. An indulgent choice.
- The Ritz Carlton promises a fantastically indulgent stay on a 30-acre tropical estate on St Thomas. 155 sophisticated rooms and suites share four gourmet restaurants, a sumptuous spa and health club, tennis courts, mutliple swimming pools, top-notch yachts and access to a private beach. A lavish escape for romantic couples or families.
For Great Value
- St John Inn is a colourful guesthouse in the heart of St John's Cruz Bay. The 10 rooms and suites are simple and brightly painted, with space for families or small groups. Kick back in a hammock, take a dip in the pool, or cook fresh seafood on the outdoor grill in the evenings. Close to Cruz Bay's many eateries. A very affordable choice.
- Chenay Bay Beach Resort on St Croix promises a fun, good value family holiday at the seaside, with flexible accommodation in stone cottages, as well as a large infinity pool, a tennis court, snorkelling gear and kayaks. Cottages are self-catering, and there's also an onsite restaurant.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to St Thomas' Cyril E. King Airport, or to St Croix's Henry E Rohlson International Airport. Both St John and St Croix are also accessible by ferry from St Thomas.
- To explore any of the islands in your own rental car, contact our online partner Rentalcars.
- Expect balmy temperatures of around 25-30°C throughout the year. Peak season is between mid-December and mid-April and there can be lots of cruise ships arriving at St Thomas in particular. Travel between mid-April and June for great hotel deals and fewer crowds.
- The rainy season lasts from June to November, with hurricanes most likely to arrive in August and September. It's best to avoid these months.
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in St Thomas.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the British Virgin Islands.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in US Virgin Islands
Best Hotels in US Virgin Islands
Carringtons Inn Christiansted, US Virgin Islands 4 rooms from £86Views - Its hilltop location ensures stunning views over the surrounding area and out to sea.Sights nearby - Holy Cross Catholic Church, Fort Christiansvaern, and St. Croix Government House.Restrictions on children - Adults only.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors
A really charming little Inn with B&B rooms and a two-bedroom condo (rental on a weekly basis). Pastel coloured cosy rooms with attractive furnishings and private balconies. Lovely pool and courtyard area. Lots to explore from the beach to the casino to small surrounding islands. See More
Chenay Bay Beach Resort Christiansted, St. Croix 29 rooms from £116Families - Lots of activities; tennis, kayaking, snorkelling, golf and appropriate accommodation.Value chicSwimming Pool - Infinity pool.Diving - Good diving nearby.
A beachfront hotel with single storey stone cottages. Each suite is fully equipped with a kitchen, balcony, all the mod cons, and sea views. Large infinity pool, tennis court, snorkelling equipment, beach chairs, and restaurant. Plenty of activities for a perfect family holiday. See More
St John Inn St John, US Virgin Islands 10 rooms from £117Value chicSights nearby - Elaine Lone Sprauve Library and Museum.Views - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.
A colourful beach front guesthouse with rainbow rooms and excellent prices. Bright accommodations have all the mod cons and balconies with hammocks. Lovely breakfast and bar area with sea views. Tennis court on site, easy access to golf and beach activities. Ideal for families. See More
Garden by the Sea B&B St John, US Virgin Islands 3 rooms from £125Views - Beautiful views from verandahs out to sea.Four poster beds - For romantics.Remote - Off the beaten track.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
A beach chic B&B with romantic suites in colourful pastels. Four poster beds with attractive muslin drapes, verandahs with dreamy sea views onto white sands, all in a secluded location. Perfect for a romantic beach holiday with a book, lots of sun, and simple accommodation. See More
Sandcastle on the Beach Frederiksted,, US Virgin Islands 21 rooms from £155Beach LifeSights nearby - St Paul's Episcopal Anglican Church, St. Patrick's Catholic Church, and Frederiksted Pier.Restaurant - The Beach Side Cafe restaurant specializes in international cuisine.On the beach - The hotel provides beach umbrellas, towels, and deck chairs.Recommended by - Fodors
A charming collection of rooms with private balconies just a short walk from the beach. Each room has all the mod cons, plus there are two swimming pools, hammocks swinging between palm trees, international cuisine and sea views. An ideal spot for pure beach life, and good value too. See More
Pavilions & Pools St Thomas, US Virgin Islands from £156Families - Each villa is ideal for a family with its BBQ, pool, kitchen, living areas and terraces.Sights nearby - American Yacht Harbor and Coral World Ocean Park.Swimming Pool - All villas have their own private outdoor pools.Restaurant - Family friendly dining and BBQs.
A collection of 25 villas nestled in a private tropical setting. Each has its own BBQ area, pool, terrace, kitchen and living area. All the mod cons including DVD players and sound systems. The hotel has a separate restaurant too for when you don't feel like cooking. An ideal spot for families. See More
Tamarind Reef Resort Christiansted, US Virgin Islands 39 rooms from £156Beach Life - Beach cabanas and a short walk onto the beach.Views - Stunning beach views.Sailing - Marina with 154 slips for sailing and motor yachts + charters trips to Buck Island, sunset cruises, fishing and divingSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool overlooking the Caribbean Sea with views to Green Cay island and Buck Island.
A charming hotel on a private beach with fantastic facilities. Huge pool, gym, beauty salon, gardens, two excellent restaurants, beach cabanas and a tennis court. Rooms and suites in attractive pastel colours with private balconies and all the mod cons. An all round hotel. See More
Bolongo Bay St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 71 rooms from £172Foodies - Excellent restuarants offering a variety from Caribbean cuisine, seafood, and buffet dinners.Families - Condos have two bedrooms sleeping 4.Beach LifeViews - Great views from hotel
Estate Lindholm St John, US Virgin Islands 14 rooms from £176Views - Fabulous sea views from every room.Swimming Pool - Fresh water pool and decking area with views out to sea.Four poster beds - For romantics.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
An intimate B&B set amongst the Danish ruins of the estate's original settlers. Stunning views out to sea and towards Cruz Bay. Set on a hillside, back from the beach and walking distance to restaurants and nightlife. Large rooms with balconies and attractive furnishings. Excellently placed. See More
Coconut Coast Villas St John VI 11 rooms from £183Families - Waterfront Villa Suites come with three ensuite bathrooms, two kitchens and two patios; there's space for all the familyLocal exploring - Perfect base for exploring the island's many beaches, heading out on day trips or simply relaxing on the water's edgeValue chic - Sea-front location, outdoor space with sea views, plenty of space and fully-equipped living areas make this a stealOn the beach - Beach chairs, towels and coolers are available for swimming and relaxing at the small pebble beach
Good-value apartment hotel on the water's edge in a quiet residential area. Each well-designed one, two or three-room apartment comes with ocean-view balconies, spacious living areas and kitchens. Swim in the sea or soak in the waterfront outdoor pool or hot tub. A comfortable and convenient choice. See More
Company House Hotel Christiansted, St. Croix 32 rooms from £190Local exploring - Explore shops, restaurants, boutique and cultural sites of Christiansted - former capital of the Danish West Indies - on footSights nearby - Historic Old Danish Customs House, Steeple Museum, Fort Christiansvaern and Scale House are all around the cornerSwimming Pool - Many of the rooms overlook the very pleasant courtyard swimming poolViews - King Suites offer impressive views over Christiansted's harbour
A small boutique hotel and bar located in a colonial building in historic Christiansted. Airy and spacious white-washed rooms with plantain shutters and teak furnishings are arranged around a Hispanic-style courtyard and pool. Will suit cultural visitors and those looking for local nightlife. See More
The Buccaneer St Croix, US Virgin Islands 138 rooms from £222Views - Stunning ocean views from suites and terraces.Golf - The hotel has its own golf course.Active Holiday - Golfing and watersports galore.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa.
An all round Four Star property with its own golf course, ocean views, yoga centre, top of the range spa, restaurants, and immediate access to the beach. Chic rooms, suites, and cottages are elegant with sophisticated furnishings. Ideal for beach enthusiasts, golf lovers, families, and spa goers. See More
Gallows Point Resort St John, US Virgin Islands 60 rooms from £230Views - Panoramic island viewsLuxuryBeach LifeRomantic Break
A stunning setting for a luxurious beach hotel. Large rooms and suites with kitchenettes, balconies, and sea views are nestled into the bay. Wonderful pool and sun deck area, sea views from the verandah of the American restaurant, and a lively bar to enjoy a cocktail from in the evenings. See More
Ritz Carlton, US Virgin Islands St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 155 rooms from £327Foodies - Four distinctive dining experiences include Bleuwater, Great Bay Lounge, Coconut Cove and Sails.Garden - A 30 acre tropical estate.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach LifeRecommended by - Fodors
A top of the range Five Star tropical estate for luxury travellers. Stunning suites in contemporary classic style, four gourmet restaurants, spa and health club, tennis, private beach and hotel yachts to charter. Expect nothing less than the best for a romantic beach holiday. See More