Search the best hotels in Trinidad, Cuba
About Trinidad, Cuba
A delightful heritage gem nestled between lush hills and the pictureqesue Caribbean coastline, laid-back Trinidad is a perfectly preserved Spanish colonial town, where time seems to stand still. Protected as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1988, gorgeous Trinidad offers a range of great-value family guesthouses, as well as a small selection of luxury hotels. Housed in historic buildings, the best places to stay in Trinidad are full of old-school charm and well-located for ample on-foot explorations.
Founded by conquistador Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar in 1514, the settlement was originally christened Villa de la Santísima Trinidad, and became an affluent Spanish town where fortunes were made and lost through conquest, slavery and sugar. Stroll along cobbled streets to gaze at grand colonial mansions, brightly-painted houses, traditional eateries and lively markets. History and architecture buffs will adore ambling through town with a knowledgeable guide — the centre is eminently walkable — or discovering Trinidad’s past at the Museo Historico Municipal or the Museo de Arquitectura Trinitaria, on striking Plaza Mayor. Step into the neoclassical Church of the Holy Trinity, housing one of Cuba’s most famous religious icons, fill your suitcases with crafts from the embroidery markets, or sip a cold beer before you step onto the dance floor at an atmospheric live-music bar.
Venture beyond the city limits to Valle de los Ingenios, where there are ruined nineteenth century sugar mills to see, and panoramic views to be admired from atop the Iznaga Tower. Sink your toes into the white sands of Ancón Beach before taking a cooling swim in the sea, head out snorkelling or diving with the whole family at Casilda Bay, or fish for sea bass at Ambalse Zaza. Lovers of the great outdoors should make for Topes de Collantes, a nature reserve where visitors can walk through tropical rainforest dotted with caves, rivers and waterfalls, and spot plenty of wildlife. Don’t miss a morning hike up the Sierra del Escambray — the magical mountain views will more than make up for the early wake-up.
Whether you’re dreaming of swaying to Cuban beats on the cobbles, delving into the region’s complex colonial past or feasting on gourmet fare in a restored mansion, the best places to stay in Trinidad provide the perfect heritage base to fall under the spell of this enchanting Cuban town.
The Best Places to Stay in Trinidad
For a charming B&B
- Casa Barmarin features three rustic-chic bedrooms in the historic centre of Trinidad, with clay-tiled floors, original wooden beams and hand-painted murals. Pick this place for its quirky, traditional vibe, abundance of Cuban artwork, friendly team, great value and excellent location, ideal for exploring. Breakfasts in the courtyard are a real treat!
For colonial luxury
- Iberostar - Grand Hotel Trinidad is a beautiful green-and-white edifice, offering classically decorated rooms and suites with striking views over the trees and terracotta rooftops of Trinidad. An adults-only hotel, the property boasts a gourmet restaurant, a fun games room and the atmospheric Fumoir cigar bar. Stay here for a romantic, 5-star taste of elegant Trinidad.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to José Martí International Airport near Havana, and hop aboard a bus or take a taxi to Trinidad. The journey should take around 4 hours.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Trinidad is a wonderful year-round destination, with temperatures hitting their peak in July and August, at around 32°C. The weather is warm throughout year, with lots of sunshine. Cuba is becoming a hugely popular place to visit and recent restorations in Trinidad have led to a burgeoning hotel and hospitality industry, so book your stay well in advance to avoid missing out!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Havana.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Cuba.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Trinidad, Cuba
Best Hotels in Trinidad, Cuba
Casa Barmarin Trinidad, Cuba (Trinidad) 2 rooms from £50Value chic - With rooms from as little as €85 per night including breakfast, Casa Barmarin is great value.Families - There is one suite with two bedrooms ideal for families or groupsLocal exploring - An ideal foothold from which to explore TrinidadGreat walks - Inland from Trinidad are the Escambray Mountains, with rivers and lush valleys for hiking and wild swimming in waterfalls
An old-style B&B offering a taste of local colour and an ideal base to explore this beautiful colonial town. The feel is homely yet chic with a good balance of the old and the new. Discover humming local music joints or spend a day unwinding on one of the local beaches. An authentic stay. See More
Iberostar - Grand Hotel Trinidad Trinidad, Cuba (Sancti Spiritus) 36 rooms from £372Restrictions on children - Over 15 years onlySights nearby - Well located for major sights.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.
A large colonial luxury hotel in the heart of the historic city of Trinidad. Absorb the Cuban charm and friendly atmosphere whilst sipping mojitos in grand style. For adults only, elegant rooms and suites have all modern amenities and some of the suites have balconies overlooking the pools. See More