Search the best hotels in Arcachon
Famed for its oysters, Arcachon is a lovely little seaside town with soft golden sands and an appealingly easy-going vibe. Easily accessible from Bordeaux, it’s a popular weekend escape for those living in the region, as well as holidaymakers from further afield, who flock to its private villas and design-led hotels. Ideal for keen foodies, well-heeled coastal visitors or relaxed romantics, the best places to stay in Arcachon offer a very special retreat.
Named after each of the four seasons, Arcachon’s neighbourhoods are characterised by attractive Belle Epoque and mid-century villas. Guided tours of the historic Ville d'Hiver district come highly recommended, as do wanders around the neo-Gothic Basilique Notre-Dame, barefoot beach days, sailing excursions and oyster tastings. Families will adore fun-filled afternoons at the Parc de la Coccinelle, an amusement park with a petting zoo.
Outdoorsy adventurers should make for the Great Dune of Pilat, Europe’s largest sand dune. Take a walk, cycle or hike in the nearby forest, and bring a picnic for picturesque sunsets over the sea from the top of the dune. Particularly busy in the summer months, rooms at the best places to stay in Arcachon are well worth booking in advance.
The Best Places to Stay in Arcachon
For Intimate Chic
- Hotel Ville d'Hiver is a hip little art hotel in a former 19th century water storage facility. 12 swish rooms channel old-school charm with lovely balconies, cosy bistro, minimalist interiors, swimming pool with live music space, and a buzzy beach club. Very cool.
- La Maison du Bassin sits across the bay in Cap Ferret, offering 11 traditional rooms and a superb seafood restaurant. Le Bistrot du Bassin is a destination in itself, and this boutique spot is a long-term favourite in the area.
For Families or Groups
- Villa La Tosca boasts fabulous sea views and stylish, grown-up rooms — many with ocean views and crackling fireplaces. With an outdoor pool and meals cooked by a private chef, it's an indulgent choice for a family or group holiday.
For Contemporary Luxury
- La Co(o)rniche is a beautiful coastal hotel with fresh, white-on-white rooms and a stunning infinity pool overlooking the sea. Savour delicious seafood dishes in the terrace restaurant, unwind at the nearby spa and explore this very special corner of France. A sophisticated romantic idyll.
- The Hotel Haïtza offers 38 design-led rooms and suites in an iconic 1930s hotel. Recently restored by Philippe Starck, this gem boasts a hip cocktail bar, rejuvenating spa, tea room and bakery. For well-heeled travellers.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Bordeaux-Mérignac Airport, 50 minutes from Arcachon by car. Alternatively, take the TGV from Paris via Bordeaux, arriving in just under four hours.
- Gironde is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between May and September for warm weather (with temperatures peaking around 27°C). Spring or autumn visitors can expect cooler temperatures. The harvest season is inevitably busy, but very appealing.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Bordeaux.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Gironde.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Arcachon
Best Hotels in Arcachon
Hotel Ville d'Hiver Arcachon 12 rooms from £99Historic - Main building constructed in 1883 by the Compagnie Général des Eaux to treat and transport the water of the local Cazaux LakeGreat walks - The Dune du Pilat a short drive awaySpaBoutique
La Maison du Bassin Arcachon 11 rooms from £113Great walks - Sandy ocean island nature reserve of Banc d'Arguin is located at the entrance to ArcachonRestaurant - Traditional Gascony cuisine - fresh local seafood and specialitiesSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Charming home from home overlooking the Arcachon Basin. Tasteful rooms in neutral hues with period furntiure. Enjoy local produce and seafood specialities in the restaurant or a drink on the colonial-style terrace with black and white tiles and cane furniture. A relaxing seaside escape. See More
Hotel Ha(a)Itza Arcachon (Pyla-sur-Mer) 38 rooms from £233Short break - Located just 29 miles from Bordeaux's Mérignac Airport, ideal for a weekend trip awaySights nearby - Be sure to visit the Great Dune of Pyla or head to the Arcachon Bay ZooGreat walks - Meander along the coast at sunset and marvel at the gorgeous viewsSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Hotel Haaïtza is located on the coast of Pyla-sur-Mer. This lovely spot exquisitely merges crisp, light interiors with wooden features to offer incredibly chic accommodation. Sunbathe by the pool and be sure to enjoy delicacies each morning from the bakery. Refined and unpretentious, a top spot! See More
Villa la Tosca Arcachon 9 rooms from £259Groups - Large groups can rent the whole villa for exclusive use, as well as a cook to cater to your every need!Romantic Break - An enchanting villa right on the seafront, it's perfect for a relaxing romantic holiday.Great walks - There are numerous beautiful walking routes in the nearby Landes de Gascogne Regional Nature Park.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet
Sitting right on the picturesque Arcachon Bay, Villa la Tosca is a superb place to unwind. From the stunning views, to the super stylish rooms, the outdoor pool and the excellent restaurant, it has ticked all the boxes. Available for exclusive rental, it's perfect for large group holidays by the sea See More
La Coorniche Arcachon 11 rooms from £493Beach Life - A tranquil spot located right on a beautiful stretch of beach.Great walks - Take long walks across the sand dunes and through beautiful pine forests.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
A chic coastal property offering a slice of luxury just outside the quaint seaside town of Arcachon. Rooms are light and airy with white on white style and the best have large terraces with fabulous views. A charming restaurant specialises in seafood and there's a glorious pool to unwind by too. See More