- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Bordeaux
Bordeaux conjures up all sorts of images: the architecture is stunning, the markets vibrant and culture colourful, and there’s fantastic shopping, but wine is likely to be your first thought. This area has been connected with the wine industry since Roman times. Great wine lists come with the territory when it comes to the best places to stay in Bordeaux, with a delicious claret or summer rosé at the top of the list.
Bordeaux also offers up great pairings for that wine: it’s becoming a foodie capital. But it’s not just a destination for your taste buds, in 2007, the city and its elegant streets – adorned with 18th-century buildings – were declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site - it’s the world’s largest urban World Heritage Site. And the other half of the city is home to some spectacularly modern structures. It has also been classified as a ‘City of Art and History’.
What not to Miss
- Capital of the Aquitaine region and located in the Gironde département, Bordeaux sits on a bend of the River Garonne, before the Garonne meets the Gironde estuary and finally the Atlantic. After years of neglect Bordeaux’s we docks are one of France’s new hot spots, with some fantastic cafes, bars and restaurants, plus some interesting museums.
- The pedestrianised centre of town is where you’ll find most of the major sights - try starting with Sainte-Catherine Street. You’ll get a great view of the whole city from the top of Saint-Michel’s tower.
- Les Quais is where you’ll find the impressive Aquitaine Bridge, and stunning views over the other bridges,
- Gambetta Square is a good place to see grand neo-classical architecture,
- La Victorie is where you’ll find the roman Victory Arch and the public gardens are impressive.
- The Musee D’Art Contemporain is a great modern art museum and the Musee D’Aquitaine is a great place to find out more about the local area. There’s also a wine museum…
Within the city, our pick of the best places to stay in Bordeaux ranges from historical townhouses in the Chartrons district to an eco-friendly B&B and contemporary designer hotel. Head out into the countryside and you’ll find neat rows of vines filling the landscape with many a turreted château offering an elegant style of living. The choices are endless.
The Best Places to Stay in Bordeaux
In the Heart of Bordeaux
- The Hotel de Seze is a classic grand dame hotel in a fine, 18th century building. There are 55 generously proportioned rooms with traditional decor and a smart restaurant, bar and cigar lounge. There’s also a small spa with a hot tub and a sauna.
- Villa Victor Louis is a stunning villa converted into an eight room hotel. The 18th century decor may make you feel like royalty, and you’re in a wonderfully central location.
The best places to stay in Bordeaux are an eclectic mix! Our favourites in the contemporary bracket are:
- Seeko'o Hotel - This luxury design hotel might look out of place to some; a modern cube sat amongst 18th century buildings on Bordeaux's waterfront. It offers forty five up to the minute suites, all mood lighting and designer furniture. And it claims to be very environmentally friendly. A lively bar serves great cocktails plus the spa is well worth a visit.
- Maison Fredon is a luxury, five room hotel and restaurant in the centre of town. The rooms are individually styled in a chic, but classic, French style, with exposed beams and contemporary art.
- Le St James is a contemporary design hotel with 15 spectacularly modern rooms and suites in separate pavilion conversions. There’s also a gourmet restaurant and glorious gardens.
- Le Boutique Hotel is an elegant townhouse hotel with 20 rooms and two self-catering apartments. The rooms are chic and filled with light and modern art, and there are stand alone bathtubs.
- The Yndo Hotel is a contemporary property with a modern townhouse feel inside a stunning 19th century mansion. There are just 12 rooms decorated in a mixture of period and designer furniture and details. Luxurious and trendy.
- La Grande Maison de Bernard Magrez is a 19th century mansion just outside the centre of town with six elegant rooms and a wonderful restaurant. This is a luxurious spot that foodies will love.
If you don't want to blow the budget then the best places to stay in Bordeaux can be the city centre B&Bs and guesthouses.
- La Villa Chaleemar is very centrally located and ideal if you want to be in the thick of things. The rooms have a Scandanavian feel with light painted wooden furniture. When the weather's good there's even a patio for sitting out.
- The Château Grattequina is a stunning 19th century château on the banks of the Garonne. There are ten huge bedrooms with wooden floors, pretty fabrics and large, modern bathrooms - some have private balconies. There’s also a stunning terrace.
- La Reserve au Pavillon du Château Raba is a glorious sandstone château just outside Bordeaux. There are nine boutique-style rooms and suites with four-poster beds, notable art and creamy decor, plus a fine dining restaurant with a fabulous wine list.
Amongst the vineyards
If you don't need to be in the centre of town, book a room in one of the best places to stay in Bordeaux where you can wake up amid the vines. Perhaps even arrange your own private tasting...
- Château de Pitray is slightly further afield and offers four grand bedrooms for B&B guests. The building is gothic in style with fairy tale turrets and a creeper clad facade. Facilities include a swimming pool and tours of the award winning vines can be arranged.
- Le Relais de Franc Mayne is a wine lovers' paradise in a perfect spot. Rooms have been beautifully decorated all with an individual theme from Out of Africa to Pop Art....take your pick! No restaurant, but plenty to choose from in near by St Emilion.
For Great Value
- Mama Shelter, Bordeaux is a boutique hotel designed to be simple and comfortable, but it also manages to be hip. There’s a buzzy bar and restaurant and a fantastic roof terrace which is just perfect for sundowners. There are 97 rooms starting from around £60 per night.
For an Apartment or holiday villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in a self catering apartment or property we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- Bordeaux-Merignac Airport is an international airport only 9kms from the centre of town. A lot of major airlines service Bordeaux, and if you can’t get a direct flight you’ll have no problem transferring in Paris. When leaving the airport you can catch a bus into the centre of town, which takes about 40mins, or a shuttle - which is quicker but also more expensive. A taxi costs about €40.
- Bordeaux is well connected to the French train network, SNCF, and, if you’re coming from London via Paris it’s about a six hour journey.
- Though 60 miles inland from the sea, around 20 odd cruise ships dock here each year.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Bordeaux and want to see a bit more of Aquitaine or the Dordogne - we recommend you visit our online partner, Holiday Autos.
- Bordeaux has a temperate, maritime climate, meaning the summers are hot, but it’s close enough to the coast to get the cooling sea breezes, and the winters are cool, but not extreme. Most visitors come between May and August, with the ‘proper’ summer months being the most popular. As well as being warm and sunny, the Aquitaine region is colourful with flowers at this time of year. You might think harvest season is a great time to visit a wine growing region, but actually a lot of wineries are closed to the public during the harvest. Winter is cool and wet and spring is warm and wet - but with plenty of sunshine.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Bordeaux
Mama Shelter, Bordeaux 97 rooms from $79Bordeaux
Bordeaux's outpost of Mama Shelter is a hip, boutique hotel designed to be simple and comfortable. The bar and restaurant areas are trendy hang outs with a buzzing atmosphere. Enjoy a relaxed lunch or sun downer drinks on the rooftop terrace. A fantastic base for business or weekend trips.Value chic - Small doubles from just €69 per night.Sights nearby - CAPC Museum of Contemporary ArtHouse party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Tablet
La Villa Chaleemar 3 rooms from $90Bordeaux
A friendly, central B&B with charming rooms in neutral tones with lots of natural light. A lofty ambience in this home from home. The perfect place from which to explore Bordeaux.City StyleLocal markets - Good for local colour.Romantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Le Clos de Meyre 8 rooms from $103Bordeaux
A glorious chateau with a working vineyard in the heart of Bordeaux. Traditional and elegant rooms and suites have floral fabrics, lots of natural light, and antique furnishings. Beautiful grounds, pool, and wine tastings. A wonderfully typical way to discover Bordeaux.Foodies - With its own vineyard and enchanting village restaurants around, the chateau is a haven for foodies and wine lovers.Wine tasting - Iin the heart of Medoc, the chateau has been planted with vines for more than three centuries.Good wine list - Fantastic collection from its 300 year old vineyard.Views - Splendid views over the vineyards.
Le Castel de Camillac 3 rooms from $109Bordeaux (Camillac)
A family-run B&B, set among vineyards and full of character and charm. Exquisite interiors with oak panelling, paintings, and elegant furniture. A beautiful sun-soaked sandstone building with tennis court and swimming pool. A glorious french country escape.Romantic Break - A regal chateau situated in the hills overlooking the Dordogne, the perfect weekend away for two.Sights nearby - Situated just 35kms from Bordeaux. Make a day trip to visit the historical sights and museums.Great walks - Take a stroll around the lovely gardens, or further afield through the local vineyards.Kayaking - There are Canoes available nearby, ask at the front desk for details.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Castelneau 3 rooms from $109St Émilion
A traditional countryside Chateau surrounded by scenic vineyards, with a peaceful garden and swimming pool. Rooms are filled with homely touches - rugs, paintings and fine furniture. A comfortable and serene spot for total relaxation, local exploring or wine tasting just 10 mins from St Emilion.Sights nearby - St Emilion and a miriad of medieval villages are close byLocal markets - Visit a different local market every day!Great walks - Walk through the hectares of vineyardsFull of character - Surrounded by vineyardsRecommended by - Sawdays
L'Arbre Rouge 5 rooms from $112Bordeaux (Génissac)
A gorgeous 18th century farmhouse with a stylish contemporary interior. The hotel's location on the banks of the Dordogne river affords wonderful views & the lapping of the water adds to the supreme peace and tranquility. Take a dip in the heated indoor pool and dry off on the leafy roof terrace.Sights nearby - Just 15 minutes from the village of Saint Emilion, a UNESCO World Heritage SiteSwimming Pool - Indoor heated swimming pool with counter-current swimmingSecluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotel
La Chartreuse des Eyres 3 rooms from $113Bordeaux (Aquitaine)
A beautifully renovated 19th century petit chateau once owned by the Lillet family, just 30 mins south of Bordeaux. Stylish rooms are a charming blend of old and new and the hosts offer a very warm welcome. An intimate stay for exploring the Graves or Sauternes wine regions and the wider area.Local exploring - This is the perfect base for exploring some of Bordeaux's top vineyards in the Graves and Sauternes area.Sights nearby - 30 mins from Bordeaux
L'Autre Vie 4 rooms from $114Bordeaux (Camiran)
Family owned and run boutique bed and breakfast consisting of four luxurious double rooms set in an idyllic 18th century French farmhouse. Each room has a private terrace with stunning views across the surrounding vineyards. Glorious pool with outdoor deck for relaxing.Sights nearby - Pictureque villages nearby including country's smallest village and UNESCO listed Saint Emilion villageKayaking - CanoeingGreat walks - Good for walkers.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
La Villa d'O 8 rooms from $131Bordeaux
A beautiful 19th century chateau boasting landscaped grounds and an extensive wine list with some local favourites. Classic rooms feature monochrome palettes and some stylish modern touches. There is a fabulous outdoor pool and a billiards room, plus plenty of activities to keep yourselves busy.Romantic Break - Quaint rooms and fine wines - all for excellent valueLocal exploring - Explore on foot or by bike - mountains or vineyardsGreat walks - Beautiful walking trails around the surrounding wine growing area.Sights nearby - Only seven miles from Bordeaux city centre.
Chateau Julie 5 rooms from $131Bordeaux (Virsac)
A relaxed family friendly hotel set in a grand 18th century Chateau, in the middle of peaceful vineyards with stunning views and a private fishing lake. Five simple yet spacious bedrooms with seating areas, and a charming communal dining room where table d'hote meals are served. Great value too!Full of character - A restored chateau with plenty of original features still on displayFishing - A large fishing lakeViews - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.
Chateau de la Grave 3 rooms from $137Bordeaux (1 La Grave)
A charming 14th century chateux, surrounded by age-old vineyards, in the heart of Bordeaux . The large, light filled colonial style rooms, boast splendid views of the gardens and plantations. An excellent breakfast is served in the communal dining area. The perfect base for a wine tour.Total relaxation - Relax by the pool, unwind with a game of tennis, or simply chill in your luxurious room with a glass of regional wine.Local exploring - A great base for a wine tasting tour of this famous region's vineyards.Great walks - Explore the region on foot, book a guided tour with the hotel.Swimming Pool - An outdoor pool for guests
La Pignarderie 3 rooms from $154St Émilion
La Pignarderie is a charming historic guesthouse nestled amidst rolling vineyards. The individually decorated rooms are full of character and style, with ornate beds and classical artwork. Enjoy wine tasting at the hotel or relax by the pool. Perfect for a quiet, relaxing holiday in rural France.Total relaxation - Perfect for a relaxed holiday in Bordeaux, chill by the pool or head out on the wine trail!Local markets - Explore the local markets in Saint-Emilion and pick up some of the yummy regional produce!Sights nearby - Explore the medieval beauty of the nearby Saint-Emilion.Secluded setting - For escaping.
5 Lasserre 3 rooms from $154Bordeaux
Contemporary B&B in St Emilion wine region. Spacious rooms have exposed brick walls, countryside views and large bathrooms; apartment has full kitchen and living spaces. Outdoor pool, gardens and terrace. Massages available. Chic, peaceful and grown up.Country Escape - With only three bedrooms, miles of vineyards, gothic castles nearby and jazz concerts, enjoy getting away from it all hereSights nearby - 12km from Saint Emilion, listed as World Heritage by the UnescoViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Chateau Grattequina 10 rooms from $163Bordeaux (Blanquefort)
A stunning 19th century Chateau overlooking the Garonne River. Bedrooms are huge with wooden floors, pretty fabrics and large modern bathrooms. Some have private balconies. Local wine and regional cuisine. With a number of large function rooms and a stunning terrace - it is perfect for any event.Sights nearby - Just 15 mins from the centre of BordeauxViews - Gorgeous views over the Garonne RiverFull of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Maison Fredon 5 rooms from $163Bordeaux
A luxury hotel and restaurant in the heart of Bordeaux. Individually styled rooms are wonderfully chic with classic french style; think white washed walls, exposed beams, contemporary art and glass boxed, in-room, bathrooms. Boasting both a regional and Greek restaurants. Fabulous.City Style - A cool contemporary hotel, with sharp art-filled interiors and many of the cities attractions within a short distance.Sights nearby - Marvel at the picturesque Pont de Pierre, just a short walk from the hotel.Great walks - Take a relaxing walk along the Garonne riverbank.Full of character
Villa Victor Louis 8 rooms from $166Bordeaux
The stunning Villa Victor Louis enjoys a central location in Bordeaux. Feel like utter royalty in this luxurious accommodation, decorated with elegant and antique furnishings mirroring typically 18th-century décor. An incredibly classy and upmarket city stay like none other!Local exploring - Villa Victor Louis is centrally located in Bordeaux, making it an ideal destination for those wanting to get to know the citySights nearby - You've got to go see the Miroir de l'Eau which has been officially listed as a contemporary World Heritage Site by UNESCOGreat walks - Meander aimlessly through the city's cobbled streets taking it all in
Seeko'o Hotel 45 rooms from $177Bordeaux
Boutique and quirky come together under one roof in this white ice-cube shaped design hotel. The rooms are more like sky-lit cocoons with their white-washed walls and surround-windows. It also has a trendy bar and slick meeting facilities. A unique hotel.City Style - A boutique design hotel, minimilistic in and out. Choose the Panoramic suite for spectacular views.Great walks - Take a stroll along the Garone River.Lively - Hip and happening.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Tablet
Chateau Giscours 3 rooms from $189Bordeaux (Labarde)
Château Giscours is a 19th-century castle with glorious gardens, in the Marrgaux appellation outside Bordeaux. The property's stone and wooden interiors give it a classically rustic feel. With three large, elegantly decorated rooms this is the perfect option for a quiet country retreat!Foodies - Château Giscours is the perfect holiday destination for those who are interested in the wine industryCountry Escape - Forget about all your worries at this tranquil rural spotSights nearby - With Bordeaux just 16 miles away there's no excuse not to go visit this quaint historic cityFull of character
Le Boutique Hotel 20 rooms from $193Bordeaux
An elegant townhouse hotel. Chic contemporary rooms filled with sunlight, parquet floors, modern art and giant stand-alone bath tubs. A romantic city break geared up for wine lovers and culture vultures.Families - There are two self-catering apartments.Spa - In-room treatments available.Four poster beds - For romantics.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Château de Pitray 4 rooms from $206Bordeaux (Gardegan)
Picture-book château with a highly-regarded vineyard and friendly hosts. A fairytale chateau with turrets and vineyards. An element of grandeur with high ceilings, stonework, and chandeliers. A glorious B&B with wonderful wines.Country Escape - A whimsical chateau in stunning parklands and vinyards will take you miles away from it all.Great walks - The estate has 200 acres of woodlands, fields and vineyards to be explored.Swimming Pool - Garden Pool.Views - Great views from hotel
La Reserve au Pavillon du Chateau Raba 9 rooms from $206Bordeaux
A glorious sandstone chateau in the heart of south Bordeaux. Boutique rooms and suites offer the height of luxury with four poster beds, creamy furnishings, and works of art. Fabulous fine dining restaurant and an excellent wine list, spa treatments, and pool. Totally pampering, very sophisticated.Foodies - Fantastic fine dining restaurant.Romantic BreakLuxurySwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor Pools
Hostellerie de la Plaisance 17 rooms from $267Bordeaux (Saint Emilion)
Gastronomic treats are in store at this luxury five-star country retreat. The interiors exude understated elegance with beautiful furniture, paintings, and neutral tones. The surrounding vineyards produce wonderful wines to go with award-winning cuisine. A spoiling retreat.Foodies - Foodies will enjoy the exquisite food and wine inspired by the surrounding produce.Great walks - This old stone monastery boasts lovely gardens for an after dinner stroll.Sights nearby - Visit the Monolith church about the Catacombs.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Hotel de Seze 55 rooms from $240Bordeaux
This grand hotel in a fine 18th Century building offers guests comfortable accommodation in large rooms with elegant furniture and traditional interiors. There's a smart restaurant and bar with cigar lounge, plus a small spa with treatment rooms, a hot tub and sauna. Ideal base for wine lovers.Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring Bordeaux's highlights and getting out and about in the surrounding vineyardsSights nearby - Grand Théâtre de BordeauxSpa
Les Sources de Caudalie 49 rooms from $240Bordeaux
A beautiful chateau, vineyard, spa hotel, and Five Star setting. Classical, elegant, and luxurious rooms and suites. Fantastic French cuisine in two restaurants, a world class wine list, and a unique natural spa set on a hot spring. Wonderfully indulgent.Garden - Fabulous gardens and vineyards to explore and taste from.Spa breaks - The chateau is positioned over a natural hot spring.Good wine list - Some of the world's finest wines.Foodies - Fantastic French cooking.Recommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Chateau Cordeillan Bages 24 rooms from $250Bordeaux
A beautiful 17th century manor house surrounded by its own vineyards and not far from the coast. Contemporary chic bedrooms and suites, an excellent French restaurant serving cuisine typical of the region, swimming pool, and an extensive wine cellar. Romantic, gourmet, and luxurious.Foodies - Fabulous local cuisine paints a picture of the region.Views - Stunning views over the gardens and vineyards.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Le Relais de Franc Mayne 12 rooms from $251Bordeaux (Saint Emilion)
A sun-soaked sandstone house, set on seven acres of idyllic vineyards. Elegant rooms with individual themes, from Out of Africa to Pop Art. A truly stunning country B&B with lovely natural pool. A wine lovers’ paradise!Country Escape - A gorgeous country house and working winery turned boutique hotel, set on a seven acre vineyard.Sights nearby - Enjoy the Romanesque churches and mediaeval ruins in St-Emilion, walking distance from the hotel.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Chateau Prieure Marquet 5 rooms from $263Bordeaux (Saint-Martin-du-Bois)
Chateau Prieure Marquet estate is located in Saint-Martin-du-Bois, 20 miles from Bordeaux. The building's historic exterior belies the more modern renovated interiors. Spacious chic accommodation and a restaurant specialising in regional dishes. A truly fantastic country retreat!Romantic Break - Beautiful accommodation, peaceful surroundings and long walks together through the vineyards-what could be better?Country Escape - Forget about all your worries at this tranquil rural spotFishing - The domain has many of ponds dotted around, perfect for a spot of fishing!Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Yndo Hotel 12 rooms from $274Bordeaux
A contemporary hotel with a modern town house feel inside a stunning 19th-century private mansion. Designer furniture in elegant rooms alongside original period features. Evening and lunchtime meals can be ordered on request at 'The Table.' A luxurious, trendy spot in this exciting city.Wine tasting - Explore the famous Bordeaux wine region, and sample the different vintagesSights nearby - Located in the heart of Bordeaux's historic district, the property is ideally placed to see all of the city's attractions.Designer - There are designer pieces and artworks spread throughout the propertyGreat walks - Bordeaux's Public Garden
Le St James 15 rooms from $280Bordeaux
Unusual, very contemporary design hotel with gourmet food. Spectacularly modern rooms and suites set in separate pavilion conversions. Lots of natural light, terraces onto gardens, glorious swimming pool, and fabulous food. Somewhere for restoring wellbeing.LuxuryTotal relaxationWellbeingFoodiesRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
La Grande Maison de Bernard Magrez 6 rooms from $298Bordeaux (Bordeuax)
La Grande Maison is a 19th-century mansion located just outside the centre of Bordeaux. The rooms are decorated in an elegant manner with pieces of period furniture and some even have a fireplace. Eating at their wonderful restaurant is an absolute must for any foodies! A luxurious romantic stay.Romantic Break - Luxurious rooms, walks around Bordeaux, a quiet atmosphere and brilliant cuisine-perfect for a romantic getawayFoodies - Restaurant serves up superb dishes created by the Michelin starred chef Pierre GagnaireSights nearby - Within a couple of miles you can go visit the Place de la Boruse, Bordeaux Wines Museum and the Musee d'Art ContemporainOpulentRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Villa la Tosca 9 rooms from $342Bordeaux
Sitting right on the picturesque Arcachon Bay, Villa la Tosca is a superb place to unwind. From the stunning views, to the super stylish rooms, the outdoor pool and the excellent restaurant, it has ticked all the boxes. Available for exclusive rental, it's perfect for large group holidays by the seaGroups - Large groups can rent the whole villa for exclusive use, as well as a cook to cater to your every need!Romantic Break - An enchanting villa right on the seafront, it's perfect for a relaxing romantic holiday.Great walks - There are numerous beautiful walking routes in the nearby Landes de Gascogne Regional Nature Park.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Tablet