Search the best hotels in Bordeaux
Bordeaux conjures up all sorts of images: the architecture is stunning, the markets vibrant and culture colourful, and there’s fantastic shopping, but wine is likely to be your first thought. This area has been connected with the wine industry since Roman times. Great wine lists come with the territory when it comes to the best places to stay in Bordeaux, with a delicious claret or summer rosé at the top of the list.
Bordeaux also offers up great pairings for that wine: it’s becoming a foodie capital. But it’s not just a destination for your taste buds. In 2007, the city and its elegant streets – adorned with 18th-century buildings – were declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site - it’s the world’s largest urban World Heritage Site. And the other half of the city is home to some spectacularly modern structures. It has also been classified as a ‘City of Art and History’.
What not to Miss
- Capital of the Aquitaine region and located in the Gironde département, Bordeaux sits on a bend of the River Garonne, before the Garonne meets the Gironde estuary and finally the Atlantic. After years of neglect Bordeaux’s docks are one of France’s new hot spots, with some fantastic cafes, bars and restaurants, plus some interesting museums.
- The pedestrianised centre of town is where you’ll find most of the major sights - try starting with Sainte-Catherine Street. You’ll get a great view of the whole city from the top of Saint-Michel’s tower.
- Les Quais is where you’ll find the impressive Aquitaine Bridge, and stunning views over the other bridges,
- Gambetta Square is a good place to see grand neo-classical architecture,
- Place de La Victoire is where you’ll find the roman Victory Arch
- The public gardens are also impressive, created in the 18th century and occupying around fourteen hectares in the centre of the city.
- The Musee D’Art Contemporain is a great modern art museum and the Musee D’Aquitaine is a great place to find out more about the local area.
- There’s also a wine museum…
Within the city, our pick of the best places to stay in Bordeaux ranges from historical townhouses in the Chartrons district to an eco-friendly B&B and contemporary designer hotel. Head out into the countryside and you’ll find neat rows of vines filling the landscape with many a turreted château offering an elegant style of living. The choices are endless.
The best places to stay in Bordeaux
In the Heart of Bordeaux
- The Hotel de Seze is a classic grand dame hotel in a fine, 18th century building. There are 55 generously proportioned rooms with traditional decor and a smart restaurant, bar and cigar lounge. There’s also a small spa with a hot tub and a sauna.
- Villa Victor Louis is a stunning villa converted into an eight room hotel. The 18th century decor may make you feel like royalty, and you’re in a wonderfully central location.
For Contemporary chic
- Seeko'o Hotel - This luxury design hotel might look out of place to some; a modern cube sat amongst 18th century buildings on Bordeaux's waterfront. It offers forty five up to the minute suites, all mood lighting and designer furniture. And it claims to be very environmentally friendly. A lively bar serves great cocktails plus the spa is well worth a visit.
- Maison Fredon is a luxury, five room hotel and restaurant in the centre of town. The rooms are individually styled in a chic, but classic, French style, with exposed beams and contemporary art.
- Le St James is a contemporary design hotel with 15 spectacularly modern rooms and suites in separate pavilion conversions. There’s also a gourmet restaurant and glorious gardens.
- Le Boutique Hotel is an elegant townhouse hotel with 20 rooms and two self-catering apartments. The rooms are chic and filled with light and modern art, and there are stand alone bathtubs.
- The Yndo Hotel is a contemporary property with a modern townhouse feel inside a stunning 19th century mansion. There are just 12 rooms decorated in a mixture of period and designer furniture and details. Luxurious and trendy.
If you don't want to blow the budget then the best places to stay in Bordeaux can be the city centre B&Bs and guesthouses.
- La Villa Chaleemar is very centrally located and ideal if you want to be in the thick of things. The rooms have a Scandanavian feel with light painted wooden furniture. When the weather's good there's even a patio for sitting out.
For Great Value
- Mama Shelter, Bordeaux is a boutique hotel designed to be simple and comfortable, but it also manages to be hip. There’s a buzzy bar and restaurant and a fantastic roof terrace which is just perfect for sundowners. There are 97 rooms starting from around €99 per night.
For an Apartment or holiday villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in a self catering apartment or property we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- Bordeaux-Merignac Airport is an international airport only 9kms from the centre of town. A lot of major airlines service Bordeaux, and if you can’t get a direct flight you’ll have no problem transferring in Paris. When leaving the airport you can catch a bus into the centre of town, which takes about 40mins, or a shuttle - which is quicker but also more expensive. A taxi costs about €40.
- Bordeaux is well connected to the French train network, SNCF, and, if you’re coming from London via Paris it’s about a six hour journey.
- Though 60 miles inland from the sea, around 20 odd cruise ships dock here each year.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Bordeaux and want to see a bit more of Aquitaine or the Dordogne - we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Bordeaux has a temperate, maritime climate, meaning the summers are hot, but it’s close enough to the coast to get the cooling sea breezes, and the winters are cool, but not extreme. Most visitors come between May and August, with the ‘proper’ summer months being the most popular. As well as being warm and sunny, the Aquitaine region is colourful with flowers at this time of year. You might think harvest season is a great time to visit a wine growing region, but actually a lot of wineries are closed to the public during the harvest. Winter is cool and wet and spring is warm and wet - but with plenty of sunshine.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse our list of the best places to stay in Bordeaux
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in the Gironde,
- or skip over a region and consider the best places to stay in the Dordogne,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bordeaux
Best Hotels in Bordeaux
Mama Shelter, Bordeaux Bordeaux 97 rooms from £86Value chic - Small doubles from just €69 per night.Sights nearby - CAPC Museum of Contemporary ArtHouse party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Tablet
Bordeaux's outpost of Mama Shelter is a hip, boutique hotel designed to be simple and comfortable. The bar and restaurant areas are trendy hang outs with a buzzing atmosphere. Enjoy a relaxed lunch or sun downer drinks on the rooftop terrace. A fantastic base for business or weekend trips. See More
La Villa Chaleemar Bordeaux 3 rooms from £89City StyleLocal markets - Good for local colour.Romantic - Good for couples.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Sawdays
Une Chambre Chez Dupont Bordeaux 10 rooms from £114Local exploring - Ideally placed to explore the city and the surrounding vineyards.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning Basilique Saint-Michel.Full of characterDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A chic guesthouse in the heart of Bordeaux. Individually styled rooms are spacious and bright with whitewashed walls, large sash windows, a choice selection of artefacts and luxurious bathrooms. Dine in the elegant restaurant sampling a daily changing menu and fantastic wine list. See More
Maison Fredon Bordeaux 5 rooms from £124City Style - A cool contemporary hotel, with sharp art-filled interiors and many of the cities attractions within a short distance.Sights nearby - Marvel at the picturesque Pont de Pierre, just a short walk from the hotel.Great walks - Take a relaxing walk along the Garonne riverbank.Full of character
A luxury hotel and restaurant in the heart of Bordeaux. Individually styled rooms are wonderfully chic with classic french style; think white washed walls, exposed beams, contemporary art and glass boxed, in-room, bathrooms. Boasting both a regional and Greek restaurants. Fabulous. See More
Villa Victor Louis Bordeaux 8 rooms from £126Local exploring - Villa Victor Louis is centrally located in Bordeaux, making it an ideal destination for those wanting to get to know the citySights nearby - You've got to go see the Miroir de l'Eau which has been officially listed as a contemporary World Heritage Site by UNESCOGreat walks - Meander aimlessly through the city's cobbled streets taking it all inTraditional
The stunning Villa Victor Louis enjoys a central location in Bordeaux. Feel like utter royalty in this luxurious accommodation, decorated with elegant and antique furnishings mirroring typically 18th-century décor. An incredibly classy and upmarket city stay like none other! See More
Casa Blanca, Bordeaux Bordeaux 5 rooms from £128Local exploring - In a charming neighbourhood just 10 minutes from the centre of Bordeaux, ideal for exploring the sights, bars and restaurantsLocal markets - There are several great markets to explore, and a wonderful weekly flea market at the other side of townRomantic - Good for couples.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming townhouse B&B right next to a gorgeous park with lovely welcoming hosts. Interiors are bright and spacious, and the chic rooms feature attractive modern furnishings and unfussy statement pieces. The best of the rooms have balconies or terraces. Ideal for both groups and couples. See More
Seeko'o Hotel Bordeaux 45 rooms from £134City Style - A boutique design hotel, minimilistic in and out. Choose the Panoramic suite for spectacular views.Great walks - Take a stroll along the Garone River.Views - Great views from hotelLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
La Course Bordeaux 7 rooms from £166Local exploring - A luxurious base from which to explore the city.Sights nearby - Stop by the striking Bordeaux Cathedral.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A beautifully renovated home offering a handful of immaculate rooms. The style is traditional yet unfussy with well-placed antiques boldly coloured walls and wonderfully luxurious bathrooms. The rooftop terrace offers both spectacular city views and a space to sample the region's famed produce. See More
Le Boutique Hotel Bordeaux 20 rooms from £147Families - There are two self-catering apartments.Spa - In-room treatments available.Four poster beds - For romantics.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
La Reserve au Pavillon du Chateau Raba Bordeaux 9 rooms from £156Foodies - Fantastic fine dining restaurant.LuxuryRomantic BreakSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor Pools
A glorious sandstone chateau in the heart of south Bordeaux. Boutique rooms and suites offer the height of luxury with four poster beds, creamy furnishings, and works of art. Fabulous fine dining restaurant and an excellent wine list, spa treatments, and pool. Totally pampering, very sophisticated. See More
Hotel De Tourny Bordeaux 15 rooms from £202City Style - A stylish crash pad in the heart of the city.Romantic - Good for couples.Boutique
Two mansions standing 20 metres apart in the heart of Bordeaux. One comprised entirely of luxury suites and the twin has a collection of spacious doubles. Both as chic as the other offering minimalist contemporary design with a hint of a retro feel. A delightful base from which to explore the city. See More
Hotel de Seze Bordeaux 55 rooms from £182Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring Bordeaux's highlights and getting out and about in the surrounding vineyardsSights nearby - Grand Théâtre de BordeauxSpa
This grand hotel in a fine 18th Century building offers guests comfortable accommodation in large rooms with elegant furniture and traditional interiors. There's a smart restaurant and bar with cigar lounge, plus a small spa with treatment rooms, a hot tub and sauna. Ideal base for wine lovers. See More
Yndo Hotel Bordeaux 12 rooms from £208Wine tasting - Explore the famous Bordeaux wine region, and sample the different vintagesSights nearby - Located in the heart of Bordeaux's historic district, the property is ideally placed to see all of the city's attractions.Designer - There are designer pieces and artworks spread throughout the propertyGreat walks - Bordeaux's Public Garden
A contemporary hotel with a modern town house feel inside a stunning 19th-century private mansion. Designer furniture in elegant rooms alongside original period features. Evening and lunchtime meals can be ordered on request at 'The Table.' A luxurious, trendy spot in this exciting city. See More
Le St James Bordeaux 15 rooms from £213Total relaxationLuxuryWellbeingFoodiesRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Villa Reale Bordeaux 3 rooms from £252Groups - All three apartments can accomodate up to six guests making it the perfect property for a small group holiday to BordeauxFamilies - These large and spacious apartments are great for families and babysitting services can be arranged at additional chargeLocal exploring - These 18th century apartments overlook the quaint Place du Parlement in the centre of BordeauxLocal markets - Explore the city's markets selling regional produce - check out the Marché des Capucins and Les Halles de Bacalan
This 5* residence built in 1754 is a boutique hotel cum guest house with apartments that combine contemporary design and French 18th-century style. All three apartments come with a fully-equipped kitchen and guests can request breakfast. There is a sauna in the building for guest use. See More
InterContinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel Bordeaux 130 rooms from £351Local exploring - This 5* star luxury hotel is beautifully positioned opposite the Grand Théâtre in the UNESCO-listed city centre of BordeauxFamilies - With babysitting servcies and Junior Suites designed for families, The Grand Hotel is the perfect place to take your childrenFoodies - The hotel restaurant Le Pressoir d’Argent serves fine innovative dishes curated by Gordon RamsaySpa breaks - Les Bains de Lea is a fully-equipped spa offering a range of innovative spa treatments
This 5* hotel in historic Bordeaux features rooms decorated for the discerning guest in 19th-century style with elegant marble bathtubs. The hotel's restaurant serves exclusive gastronomic dishes created by Gordon Ramsay and guests can use a fitness centre, indoor swimming pool, hammam and sauna. See More