Search the best hotels in Bordeaux
The mere mention of Bordeaux conjures up images of stunning architecture, vibrant markets and — perhaps most of all — wonderful wine. With its wine-making roots stretching back as far as the Roman era, the Bordeaux region is a brilliant choice for those dreaming of vineyard tours and tastings paired with fabulous French cuisine. Immensely popular with visitors from within France and beyond, the city offers a tremendous range of accommodation options to suit a plethora of tastes and budgets. Nestled within the city centre and on the picturesque banks of the Garonne River, our list of the best places to stay in Bordeaux really does have something for everyone.
Capital of the Aquitaine region and the Gironde’s best-known hub, Bordeaux is perched right alongside the Garonne River. Its recently restored waterfront has become a trendy hotspot, with museums, bars and innovative restaurants aplenty. Stroll to Les Quais to see the famous Aquitaine Bridge, or to take a scenic boat tour. For a sense of elegant old Bordeaux — now a UNESCO World Heritage Site — enjoy a guided walking tour, or amble through Gambetta Square, Place de La Victoire and pedestrianised Rue Sainte-Catherine. Views from atop Saint-Michel’s tower are superb, as are wanders through the 11-hectare Jardin Public. Top museums include La Cité du Vin, the Musée du Vin et du Négoce and the Musée d’Aquitaine.
Venture into the surrounding countryside for fantastic wine tours and tastings before returning to relax at one of the best places to stay in Bordeaux.
The Best Places to Stay in Bordeaux
For an Intimate B&B
- Maison La Course is a chic five bedroom B&B in the Jardins Public district of Bordeaux. Pick this place for the gorgeous interiors, the intimate feel and the friendly hosts, who will point you in the right direction to explore Bordeaux. The Orienso suite is ideal for families; the other rooms are great for couples.
- Casa Blanca offers sleek modern interiors and a welcoming feel. Well-suited to couples or groups, the house has inviting communal spaces. Some rooms have private balconies, and your hosts can organise bicycle rental and vineyard tours on request. A small B&B with plenty of character.
- Villa Victor Louis, named after the architect who designed the renowned Grand Théâtre of Bordeaux, is an 18th-century townhouse-turned-hotel with eight rooms. Ornate decoration will speak to history buffs. Breakfasts are served in a sunny morning room, and there are great nearby restaurants.
- Maison Fredon is a charming six-bedroom B&B opposite the famed La Tupina restaurant. Individually styled rooms channel classic French cool, with exposed beams, modern details and pops of colour. Very inviting.
For Contemporary Cool
- Seeko'o Hotel is hard to miss: modelled on an ice cube, the property sits between 18th-century buildings on Bordeaux's waterfront. Sleek suites have minimalist designer furniture, mood lighting and epic views. Unwind at the spa or sip cocktails in the trendy bar. For design lovers eager to stay somewhere with a buzz in the city.
- Yndo Hotel has elegant, contemporary interiors, with bold artwork, organically shaped sofas and lots of light. Set inside a 19th-century mansion, this vibrant spot is ideal for glamorous couples or groups. Wine-tastings and city tours can be oragnised. A luxurious city choice.
- Une Chambre Chez Dupont is a romantic boutique spot in the Chartrons district. Open since 1988, this is a classic couples' choice, with ten inviting, individually designed guestrooms and a buzzy bistro. Outside tables are perfect for watching the world go by together!
- Le Boutique Hotel promises the ideal couples' stay in beautiful Bordeaux. An elegant townhouse hotel with 20 chic, light-filled rooms, this family-run property offers big brunches, a small spa, stand-alone bathtubs, a romantic terrace and special packages for a restful couples' escape.
- Villas Foch has 20 glamorous rooms and suites, with high ceilings and a classic feel. Highlights include the spa — complete with indoor swimming pool — and Le Ferdinand, the hotel's seriously cool bar. For hip couples.
- Hotel de Sèze is an imposing landmark, with 55 generously proportioned rooms hidden behind an 18th-century façade. The small spa, smart restaurant, bar and cigar lounge make this a top city stay for couples or friends.
For Families or Groups
- Villa Reale offers three apartments, each of which can sleep up to six guests. Fusing contemporary design and French 18th-century style in a historic building, these are ideal for fun group trips to Bordeaux. Flats have well-equipped kitchens but breakfast is available on request. There's also a sauna in the building.
- Hôtel de Tourny has 12 pared-back rooms, with a modern, minimalist aesthetic. Spaces are clad in soothing greys, with natural wood and cane furnishings. A lovely choice for a restful family trip, with rollaway beds and cots available. Excellent downtown location for seeing the sights as a family.
- Intercontinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel offers an exceptionally indulgent Bordeaux base, with lavish rooms and suites — some of which have marble-topped bathtubs. There's a gastronomic restaurant, fitness centre, indoor swimming pool, hammam and sauna, as well as provisions for little ones. Opposite the Grand Théâtre and great for a family holiday, as well as for couples or business travellers.
For a Country Escape
- Château Grattequina is a stunning 19th-century castle on the banks of the Garonne River. Huge bedrooms have wooden floors, pretty fabrics and big modern bathrooms — some have private balconies. Delicious regional cuisine, local wines and striking event spaces are perfect for parties. Restful, romantic and close to the Margaux wine commune.
- Le St James, designed by architect Jean Nouvel, is a modern masterpiece. Brilliant for well-heeled travellers, foodies or wellness enthusiasts, this spectacular collection of 15 rooms and suites sits within glorious gardens on the east bank of the Garonne, close to picturesque Bouillac. Very cool.
- Domaine de Raba offers sophisticated rooms and suites in a sandstone manor house just south of central Bordeaux. Boutique rooms and suites offer luxurious four poster beds, cream-coloured furnishings and works of art. Throw in a swimming pool, spa and fine dining restaurant, and you have the perfect romantic escape.
For Great Value
- Mama Shelter, Bordeaux is simple, comfortable and affordable, with 97 modern rooms. A hip choice for a group holiday or business trip, there's a buzzy bar and restaurant, a fantastic roof terrace for sundowners, table football and relaxed pizzas.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Bordeaux-Mérignac Airport and travel into town by bus, airport shuttle or taxi. Alternatively, take the TGV from Paris in under three hours.
- Gironde is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between May and September for warm weather (with temperatures peaking around 27°C). Spring or autumn visitors can expect cooler temperatures. The harvest season is inevitably busy, but very appealing.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Saint-Emilion.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Gironde.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bordeaux
Best Hotels in Bordeaux
Mama Shelter, Bordeaux Bordeaux 97 rooms from £86Learning - Five minutes down the road you will find Triangle d’Or, filled with spectacular buildings of Bordeaux’s Age of Enlightenment.Local exploring - A fantastic spot for exploring Bordeaux, hotel staff can point you towards the best restaurants and sights of the town.Value chic - Well suited to those on a budget, who don't want to compromise on style — small doubles from just €100 per night.Designer Shopping - Head just down the road to Cours de l’Intendance, for luxury shopping and fabulous cafes.Recommended by - Tablet
Bordeaux's outpost of Mama Shelter is a hip, boutique hotel designed to be simple and comfortable. The bar and restaurant areas are trendy hang outs with a buzzing atmosphere. Enjoy a relaxed lunch or sun downer drinks on the rooftop terrace. A fantastic base for business or weekend trips. See More
Une Chambre Chez Dupont Bordeaux 10 rooms from £114Local exploring - Well situated in the leafy Chartrons, a lively area renowned for buzzing bistros, waterside dining and late-night barsWine tasting - You are in Bordeaux after all, so take a tour of the local winemakers and sample the famed produce.Great walks - Take a stroll along the waterfront and soak up the sights of the city, or head across the river to the Botanical gardens.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning Basilique Saint-Michel, just a few minutes in a taxi or a refreshing 30 minute walk.
A chic guesthouse in the heart of Bordeaux. Individually styled rooms are spacious and bright with whitewashed walls, large sash windows, a choice selection of artefacts and luxurious bathrooms. Dine in the elegant restaurant sampling a daily changing menu and fantastic wine list. See More
Seeko'o Hotel Bordeaux 45 rooms from £134Great walks - Rather than hop on the tram, one can take a very pleasant stroll along the Garone River to the neoclassical heart of town.Local markets - The fantastic Les Halles Bacalan is right nextdoor, a covered market offering up the cream of Bordeaux's produce.Wine tasting - Just around the corner from the Cité de Vin musuem, where you can absorb and partake in all things wine.City Style - A boutique design hotel, minimilistic in and out. Choose the Panoramic suite for spectacular views.Recommended by - Tablet
Boutique and quirky come together under one roof in this white ice-cube shaped design hotel. The rooms are more like sky-lit cocoons with their white-washed walls and surround-windows. It also has a trendy bar and slick meeting facilities, though there is no restaurant, the area teams with them. See More
Villa Victor Louis Bordeaux 5 rooms from £170Local exploring - Villa Victor Louis is centrally located in Bordeaux, making it an ideal destination for those wanting to get to know the cityRomantic Break - A fairytale B&B decorated in opulent style, loose yourselves in Pre-revolutionary pomp and pampering service.Sights nearby - You've got to go see the Miroir de l'Eau which has been officially listed as a contemporary World Heritage Site by UNESCOGreat walks - Make the most of the city on your doorstep and meander aimlessly through the city's cobbled streets taking it all in.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
The stunning Villa Victor Louis enjoys a central location in Bordeaux. Feel like utter royalty in this luxurious accommodation, decorated with elegant and antique furnishings mirroring typically 18th-century décor. An incredibly classy and upmarket city stay like none other! See More
Casa Blanca, Bordeaux Bordeaux 5 rooms from £175Local exploring - In a charming neighbourhood just 10 minutes from the centre of Bordeaux, ideal for exploring the sights, bars and restaurantsWine tasting - The hosts can arrange a visit to their family vineyard nearby, and there are several other wineries in the area to discoverLocal markets - There are several great markets to explore, and a wonderful weekly flea market at the other side of townLively area - Chartrons is a buzzing neighbourhood full of bars, restaurants, antique shops and galleries
A charming townhouse B&B right next to a gorgeous park with lovely welcoming hosts. Interiors are bright and spacious, and the chic rooms feature attractive modern furnishings and unfussy statement pieces. The best of the rooms have balconies or terraces. Ideal for both groups and couples. See More
Domaine de Raba Bordeaux 9 rooms from £156Wine tasting - Visit the surrounding châteaux, such as Chateau Margaux, Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Chateau Haut Brion and many moreFoodies - There are three restaurants to choose from all by Provençal chef Flora Mikula and each more fabulous than the lastRomantic Break - A picturesque honey-stone mansion, set amid leafy oak filled grounds boasting a pool, three restaurants and spaGreat walks - Can't tear yourself away from this heavenly hideaway? Wander the grounds and make it back in time for dinner!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
A glorious sandstone chateau in the heart of south Bordeaux. Boutique rooms and suites offer the height of luxury with four poster beds, creamy furnishings, and works of art. Fabulous fine dining restaurant and an excellent wine list, spa treatments, and pool. Totally pampering, very sophisticated. See More
Chateau Grattequina Bordeaux (Blanquefort) 10 rooms from £156Romantic Break - A fairytale Château with sumptuous interiors, an abundance of velvet & satin furnishings and balconies overlooking the Garonne.Hotel boats for hire - The hotel operates a taxi boat (complete with wine service) between the property and the centre of Bordeaux.Wine tasting - The Margaux wine commune, probably one of the most famous in France, is just 15 minutes from the hotel.Weddings - The hotel holds many weddings on site and you could hardly find a more perfect spot to tie the knot.
A stunning 19th century Chateau overlooking the Garonne River. Bedrooms are huge with wooden floors, pretty fabrics and large modern bathrooms. Some have private balconies. Local wine and regional cuisine, with a number of large function rooms and a stunning terrace - it is perfect for any event. See More
La Course Bordeaux 7 rooms from £199Families - Families should book the fun and whimsical Orensio Suite; it is submarine themed with a shell-shaped shower and bunk bedsRomantic Break - Book Seiros, the pentohuse suite, complete with luxurious rooftop plunge pool, for a spoiling romantic getawayFull of character - This beautifully renovated property is chock full of original features seamlessly combined with modern touchesLocal markets - If you are here on a Sunday, head to the farmers' market on Quai des Chartrons, filled with local produce.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A beautifully renovated home offering a handful of immaculate rooms. The style is traditional yet unfussy with well-placed antiques boldly coloured walls and wonderfully luxurious bathrooms. The rooftop terrace offers both spectacular city views and a space to sample the region's famed produce. See More
Hotel De Tourny Bordeaux 15 rooms from £202Local exploring - A stylish crash pad in the heart of the city, elegant interiors, expert city knowledge and a super central location.Museums - No trip to Bordeaux is complete without a trip to La Cité du Vin, a celebration of all things wine.Walking distance restaurants - Being in the centre of the city there are plenty of restaurants to choose from close byBoutique - With its elegant 18th century exterior and chic design led interiors this a smart boutique optionRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Two mansions standing 20 metres apart in the heart of Bordeaux. One comprised entirely of luxury suites and the twin has a collection of spacious doubles. Both as chic as the other offering minimalist contemporary design with a hint of a retro feel. A delightful base from which to explore the city. See More
Hotel de Seze Bordeaux 55 rooms from £182Romantic Break - Elegant accommodation in the heart of Bordeaux, complete with luxurious spa offering beauty and massage treatmentsLocal exploring - Ideally located for exploring Bordeaux's highlights and getting out and about in the surrounding vineyardsSights nearby - Just around the corner is the famed Opera National de Bordeaux, designed in 1780 by the architect Victor LouisRestaurant - Serves a wonderful blend of contemporary and traditional French cuisine
This grand hotel in a fine 18th Century building offers guests comfortable accommodation in large rooms with elegant furniture and traditional interiors. There's a smart restaurant and bar with cigar lounge, plus a small spa with treatment rooms, a hot tub and sauna. Ideal base for wine lovers. See More
Maison Fredon Bordeaux 5 rooms from £241City Style - A cool contemporary hotel, with sharp art-filled interiors and many of the cities attractions within a short distance.Other Activities - There are 3 restaurants run by the Xiradakis Family on this street - the iconic La Tupina, Kuzina, and Le Comestible.Local exploring - Explore St. Michel’s labyrinthine streets, filled with cafés, organic eateries and antique shops.Local markets - The hotel is just a 10 minute walk from the Capucins Market, the centre of Bordeaux's foodie scene.
A luxury B&B in the heart of Bordeaux. The six individually styled rooms are wonderfully chic with classic french style; think white washed walls, exposed beams, contemporary art and glass boxed, in-room, bathrooms. Opposite the famous La Turbina restaurant; a great B&B for foodies. See More
Le Boutique Hotel Bordeaux 20 rooms from £273Romantic Break - Romance is guaranteed in this luxury property. Book one of the Jacuzzi Terrace Suites for your private outdoor hot tubGroups - There are 2 chic 2-bedroom apartments, with fully functioning kitchens, generous living areas and fabulous terraces.City Style - Period property on the outside, but luxury design hotel on the inside with chic up-to-the-minute interiorsSights nearby - You are just minutes away from triangle d'or, an area of architecture assosciated with Bordeaux's Age of Enlightenment.Recommended by - Tablet, Great Small Hotels , I Escape
An elegant hotel in a grand 18th century townhouse, flanked by two multi-story modern structures. Chic contemporary rooms filled with sunlight, parquet floors, modern art and giant stand-alone bath tubs. A romantic city break geared up for wine lovers and culture vultures. See More
Villas Foch Bordeaux 20 rooms from £247Bar - Le Ferdinand is an exceedingly elegant space, serving inventive cocktails, aperitifs, regional wines, and Bordeaux-style tapas5* Luxury - With its spoiling spa, chic design, and butler service — you are bound to feel pampered at this five star stayCity Style - Set in the centre of Bordeaux, this is a supremely elegant stay with a glamorous bar for evening entertainmentHistoric - The historic building was designed by famous Bordeaux architect Joseph-Adolphe ThiacRecommended by - Tablet
A supremely elegant 5* hotel set in the heart of historic Bordeaux. Built by one of the city's famed architects, the interiors have now been carefully updated. The building keeps its original grandeur but has a polished modern feel. With a very hip cocktail bar & a spa, this is a stylish city base. See More
Villa Reale Bordeaux 3 rooms from £252Self catering - This aparthotel has all the style and services you'd expect in a luxury hotel with the flexibility of a self catering flatGroups - All three apartments can accomodate up to six guests making it the perfect property for a small group holiday to BordeauxFamilies - These large and spacious apartments are great for families and babysitting services can be arranged at additional chargeLocal exploring - These 18th century apartments overlook the quaint Place du Parlement in the centre of Bordeaux
This 5* residence built in 1754 is a boutique hotel cum guest house with apartments that combine contemporary design and French 18th-century style. All three apartments come with a fully-equipped kitchen and guests can request breakfast. There is a sauna in the building for guest use. See More
Le St James Bordeaux 15 rooms from £259Architectural - Designed by famed architect Jean Nouvel, and inspired by the traditional tobacco-drying sheds of his native region.Total relaxation - Perfectly designed to indulge the senses, with bed height adjusted per room for optimal views and fragrant gardens.Foodies - A celebration of local produce and wine, the resturants are both to die for and the cookery school is top notch.Romantic Break - For a romantic break enjoy fabulous food, and treat yourself to a suite with private terrace and hot tubRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Yndo Hotel Bordeaux 12 rooms from £308City Style - Hidden inside this 19th-century mansion hotel resides a beating heart of vibrant contemporary art and bold interior design.Groups - The hotel will organise city tours and wine tastings for groups of 10 or more.Sights nearby - Located in the heart of Bordeaux's Triangle d’Or, the property is ideally placed to see all of the city's attractions.Designer - There are designer pieces and artworks spread throughout the propertyRecommended by - Tablet
A contemporary hotel with a modern town house feel inside a stunning 19th-century private mansion. Designer furniture in elegant rooms alongside original period features. Evening and lunchtime meals can be ordered on request at 'The Table.' A luxurious, trendy spot in this exciting city. See More
InterContinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel Bordeaux 130 rooms from £351Local exploring - This 5* star luxury hotel is beautifully positioned opposite the Grand Théâtre in the UNESCO-listed city centre of BordeauxFamilies - With babysitting servcies and Junior Suites designed for families, The Grand Hotel is the perfect place to take your childrenFoodies - The hotel restaurant Le Pressoir d’Argent serves fine innovative dishes curated by Gordon RamsaySpa breaks - Les Bains de Lea is a fully-equipped spa offering a range of innovative spa treatments
This 5* hotel in historic Bordeaux features rooms decorated for the discerning guest in 19th-century style with elegant marble bathtubs. The hotel's restaurant serves exclusive gastronomic dishes created by Gordon Ramsay and guests can use a fitness centre, indoor swimming pool, hammam and sauna. See More