- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Chambery
Chambery, 50 miles north of Grenoble, is the historical capital of Savoy. The best places to stay in Chambery provide the ideal base for discovering this fascinating city, and make a great stopping off point for those heading to the alps.
Chambery sits at the hub of ancient routes through Dauphine, Burgundy, Switzerland and Italy. These areas were all linked to the House of Savoy and the town was the seat of the Savoyards until 1563 when they moved to Turin. Much of this ancient heritage remains and there are many interesting places to visit.
Chambery is a vibrant, colourful town with a jolly atmosphere.
- Wander through the Place Saint-Leger in the Old Town with its Fontaine des Marmousets and all the surrounding tall houses painted different hues.
- The Fountain of the Elephants is a famous curiosity, erected in honour of one of the town’s most famous sons who made a fortune in India.
- Chambery Castle was the original residence of the Counts of Savoy. Its chapel used to house the ‘holy shroud’ - now in Turin.
- The Cathedral Saint Francois de Sales has the largest collection of trompe-l’oeil paintings in Europe.
- The Musee de Beaux-Arts contains some notable paintings including many from the Italian Renaissance. The Musee Savoisien is equally of interest.
Add to this a good selection of bars, cafes and restaurants and you've got an underrated destination with lots to see and do. Our pick of the best places to stay in Chambery include one property in the city centre and two picks just outside town.
For five star luxury
- For a central spot and luxury assured, book the Petit Hotel Confidentiel. Seriously stylish rooms and suites with modern furnishings and a designer feel. Right in the centre of Chambery's old town, it's the perfect spot from which to explore. Borrow one of their bikes and you can do it on two wheels!
For a Countryside Idyll
- Les Saint Peres is a lodge style hotel, tastefully furnished and enjoying panoramic views across the beautiful Savoie landscape (which is great for walking). It's perfect for a romantic break with cosy fireside lounges, outdoor pool and fine dining.
- Chateau des Comtes de Challes is a 15th century chateau turned country hotel, just out of town. Rooms are individually decorated and traditional in style. You'll also find a fine dining restaurant and fabulous wine cellar.
Best Hotels in Chambery
Les Saint Peres 9 rooms from £127Chambery
Excellent rural hotel that affords phenomenal views out over the Savoie countryside. Built in a lodge style, the rooms are cosy and comfortable with tasteful furnishing. Take a day trip to Chambery or simply recline by the glorious pool and enjoy the magnificent surroundings. A delightful retreat.Romantic Break - An unforgettable romantic escape, fine dining, cosy fireside lounges and luxorious suites overlooking the stunning landscape.Sights nearby - Visit the charming Chambéry, formely the seat of the Duchy of Savoie.Great walks - Great walking trails in the surrounding Savoie countryside.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Petit Hotel Confidentiel 11 rooms from £174Chambery
Right in the heart of Chambery, Petit Hotel Confidentiel combines a great location with five-star quality to provide a superlative hotel experience. Both stylish and comfortable, it's perfect for a luxurious break in Chambery.Families - With large multi-person suites sleeping up to five, it's perfect for a family holiday.Local exploring - The ideal base for exploring the historic city of Chambery in style.Local markets - Guests must check out the large Chambery market in Les Halles.Sights nearby - Two minutes walk from Chateau des Ducs de Savoie.
Chateau des comtes de Challes 54 rooms from £112Challes les Eaux, Savoie
A 15th-century chateau set amidst beautiful grounds. Individually decorated rooms with simple white-washed walls and crisp white linen set against heavily draped beds and windows. Grand reception rooms allow for elegant evenings. An award-winning restaurant. The ideal spot to completely unwind.Total relaxation - A glorious space to unwind with a book, sip on regional wines and take a lap or two of the pool.Sights nearby - Just 5km from the historic Chambéry famed for its elegant castle and Elephants Fountain.Great walks - Lovely trails through the surrounding countryside.Romantic - Good for couples.