Search the best hotels in Chambery
Chambery, 50 miles north of Grenoble, is the historical capital of Savoie. This pretty Alpine town has long been a "crossroad to the Alps" and boasts spectacular 360-degree mountain views. The best places to stay in Chambery are ideally placed for discovering this fascinating town and make a great stopping off point for those heading on to the Alps.
Chambery sits at the hub of ancient routes running through Dauphine, Burgundy, Switzerland and Italy. These areas were all linked to the House of Savoie and the town was the seat of the Savoyards until 1563 when they moved to Turin. Much of this ancient heritage remains and there are many interesting places to visit, so it is a worthy stop in itself even for those venturing further on into the mountains.
Chambery is a vibrant, colourful town with a jolly atmosphere and excellent food and wine. In the summer months it can become quite busy so be sure to book ahead as the best places to stay in Chambery get quickly booked up.
What not to miss
- Wander through the Place Saint-Leger in the Old Town with its Fontaine des Marmousets and all the surrounding tall houses painted in various hues.
- The Fountain of the Elephants is a famous curiosity, erected in honour of one of the town’s most famous sons who made a fortune in India.
- Chambery Castle was the original residence of the Counts of Savoy. Its chapel used to house the ‘holy shroud’ - now in Turin.
- The Cathedral Saint Francois de Sales has the largest collection of trompe-l’oeil paintings in Europe.
- The Musee de Beaux-Arts contains some notable paintings including many from the Italian Renaissance. The Musee Savoisien is equally of interest.
Add to this a good selection of bars, cafes and restaurants and you've got an underrated destination with lots to see and do. Our pick of the best places to stay in Chambery include both properties in the town centre as well as some just outside town.
The best places to stay in Chambery
For a spot of luxury
- For a central spot and luxury assured, book the Petit Hotel Confidentiel. Seriously stylish rooms and suites with modern furnishings and a designer feel. Right in the centre of Chambery's old town, it's the perfect spot from which to explore. Borrow one of their bikes and you can do it on two wheels!
- Chateau de la Tour du Puits is a truly wonderful option, with its serene setting and elegantly furnished rooms. What's more, there's a spa, sauna, outdoor pool and terrific regional fare served up too.
For a countryside idyll
- Les Saint Peres is a lodge style hotel, tastefully furnished and benefitting from panoramic views across the beautiful Savoie landscape (which is also great for walking). It's perfect for a romantic break with cosy fireside lounges, outdoor pool and fine dining.
- Chateau des Comtes de Challes is a 15th-century chateau turned country hotel, just out of town. Rooms are individually decorated and traditional in style. You'll also find a fine dining restaurant and fabulous wine cellar.
- Two-room Chateau des Allues enjoys a fabulous location on the edge of a natural park. This intimate stay features smart accommodation with traditional furnishings, as well as a lovely little restaurant.
- Chateau de Bourdeau boasts divine views of both France's largest lake and the surrounding mountains. The interiors are slightly quirky, but its gastronomic restaurant is truly top-notch.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, you're best off visiting in the summer months; the average temperature climbs to 22°C in July.
- This, however, is peak tourist season, so for a quieter and cheaper alternative consider coming in the shoulder season months (May and October).
- If you're coming from abroad then fly into Lyon Saint-Exupéry Airport before taking the train over to Chambery.
- Alternatively, you can always drive over - check out the options with Rentalcars.
Best Hotels in Chambery
Chateau des comtes de Challes Challes les Eaux, Savoie 54 rooms from £111Total relaxation - A glorious space to unwind with a book, sip on regional wines and take a lap or two of the pool.Sights nearby - Just 5km from the historic Chambéry famed for its elegant castle and Elephants Fountain.Great walks - Lovely trails through the surrounding countryside.Romantic - Good for couples.
A 15th-century chateau set amidst beautiful grounds. Individually decorated rooms with simple white-washed walls and crisp white linen set against heavily draped beds and windows. Grand reception rooms allow for elegant evenings. An award-winning restaurant. The ideal spot to completely unwind. See More
Les Saint Peres Chambery 9 rooms from £126Romantic Break - An unforgettable romantic escape, fine dining, cosy fireside lounges and luxorious suites overlooking the stunning landscape.Sights nearby - Visit the charming Chambéry, formely the seat of the Duchy of Savoie.Great walks - Great walking trails in the surrounding Savoie countryside.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Excellent rural hotel that affords phenomenal views out over the Savoie countryside. Built in a lodge style, the rooms are cosy and comfortable with tasteful furnishing. Take a day trip to Chambery or simply recline by the glorious pool and enjoy the magnificent surroundings. A delightful retreat. See More
Petit Hotel Confidentiel Chambery 11 rooms from £172Families - With large multi-person suites sleeping up to five, it's perfect for a family holiday.Local exploring - The ideal base for exploring the historic city of Chambery in style.Local markets - Guests must check out the large Chambery market in Les Halles.Sights nearby - Two minutes walk from Chateau des Ducs de Savoie.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels