Search the best hotels in Chartres
Chartres is a small city less than an hour South West of Paris. It is renowned worldwide for its gothic cathedral, which is considered to be one of the finest and best preserved of its kind in Europe, despite being very nearly destroyed by American forces during the Second World War. It was spared due to the heroic acts of one Colonel Griffith who insisted on going behind enemy lines and searching the cathedral to establish that it was not being used as a German observation post. You'll also find a Fine Arts museum in the former Episcopal Palace. Most of the best places to stay in Chartres are centrally located, so its highlights are very easily accessible.
The centre of the city is very pretty with its old half-timbered buildings - don't miss the Maison du Saumon and the Maison de la Truie on the Place de la Poissonerie. Chartres holds an annual Arts and Crafts fair in early October. Or for outdoorsy types you can simply enjoy hiking along the banks of the river Eure.
What Not To Miss
- Chartres' imposing gothic cathedral is a must-visit
- The Museum of Fine Arts is a great place to spend a couple of hours
- There's also the fascinating Maison Picassiette - a completely mosaic house!
- Or, enjoy a walk in one of their lovely parks
The best places to stay in Chartres provide an ideal base for discovering this lovely city, whatever your reason for a visit..
The best places to stay in Chartres
For a central location
- Hotel Jehan de Beauce is ideally situated, with all of Chartres' best bits easily accessible on foot. Rooms are elegant with creamy furnishings and large bathrooms.
- Le Jardin Cathedrale, as the name suggests, is just a stone's throw from Chartres' stunning cathedral. It's a charming B&B with just two elegant rooms, and gorgeous antique filled interiors. Plus there's a lovely garden offering glimpses of the cathedral beyond.
Just out of town
- About 20 minutes north of Chartres, you'll find La Bergerie de L'Aqueduc. It's a charming and secluded farmhouse B&B, with just four individually designed, luxurious bedrooms, gorgeous gardens and outdoor heated pool. A very romantic spot.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- You're best off visiting in the summer if you want nice weather - in July and August the average temperature hovers between 20-25°C.
- It's wisest to fly into Paris before taking the train to Chartres. You can choose between Charles de Gaulle, Orly or Beauvais-Tillé.
- If you think you'll need a car then search through the range of options with Rentalcars.
Nothing here that suits?
- Browse our full list of the best places to stay in Chartres
- Expand your search to include all our Normandy recommendations
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice
Monthly Weather in Chartres
Best Hotels in Chartres
Hotel Jehan de Beauce Chartres 35 rooms from £89Local exploring - Perfect, central location from which to explore this rich city - full of stunning churches, gardens and galleriesLocal markets - City has excellent reputation for its craftsmen, its glass masters, antique shopsSights nearby - Two minute walk from the Notre Dame de Chartres CathedralGreat walks - Through beautiful gardens of Andre Gagnon Park
Comfortable hotel in the centre of Chartes. Elegant guestrooms have art deco touches with creamy furniture, big bathrooms and even bigger suites with sofas. Sauna and lobby lounge to relax in. Friendly service and plenty of recommended restaurants within walking distance. See More
Le Jardin Cathedrale Chartres 2 rooms from £91Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring Chartres, within walking distance of the main sights.Local markets - Guests will love exploring the local markets of Chartres, ask your hosts what days these are held.Sights nearby - Cathédrale de Chartres is two minutes walk away, as is the Municipal theatre.Full of character
La Bergerie de L'Aqueduc Chartres 4 rooms from £143Country Escape - Classic country stay surrounded by beautiful rose filled groundsRomantic Break - Cosy rooms with open fireplaces are made for romanceLocal markets - Pick your way through the local market in Houx.Great walks - Enjoy lovely walks along the Voise Canal.
A charming, secluded B&B set in an 18th century farmhouse. Offering four comfortable rooms, each are individually decorated with views looking out onto the garden. The garden itself is perfect for a relaxing afternoon and features a heated outdoor pool. Ideal for a romantic weekend away. See More