Search the best hotels in Chartres
Less than two hours southwest of Paris, the charming small city of Chartres is home to one of Europe’s most iconic cathedrals. Completed in 1220, the enormous Gothic Cathédrale Notre-Dame dominates the skyline, and attracts culturally curious visitors from across the globe. Accommodation options include cosy B&Bs in the shadow of the twin spires and restored farmhouses in verdant gardens, well-suited to quiet couples or active families. Our gurus’ pick of the best places to stay in Chartres promise the ideal base from which to explore both the historic city centre and Normandy's rolling countryside.
Built on the left bank of the Eure River, old Chartres — now the Chartres Historic Preservation Area — is a maze of narrow lanes, encircled by elm-fringed boulevards and pretty riverside houses. Discover the area on foot or by bicycle — and do consider a guided tour for more detailed information about key landmarks and the impact of historic conflicts, such as the French Revolution and the Second World War. Particular attractions include the Eglise Saint-Pierre, the Eglise Saint-Aignan and the fascinating Centre International Du Vitrail. Artist Raymond Isidore’s La Maison Picassiette is also striking.
Scenic strolls through the Parc des Bords de l’Eure, or cycling, horse riding and hiking between the surrounding villages and farmland are not to be missed! Some of the best places to stay in Chartres offer walking trails and family-friendly activity suggestions of their own, too.
The Best Places to Stay in Chartres
For a Central Stay
- Hotel Jehan de Beauce is a grand historic property in central Chartres, complete with Art Deco interiors and an elegant restaurant. Pick this place for the proximity to all the main sights and the heritage feel.
- Le Jardin Cathédrale, as the name suggests, is just a stone's throw from Chartres' stunning cathedral. A charming B&B with two spacious, comfortable rooms, this is a lovely choice for quiet couples or a small group of friends travelling together. The garden is a little oasis and breakfasts are excellent.
For a Rural Escape
- La Bergerie de L'Aqueduc is a secluded farmhouse B&B with four indulgent, individually designed rooms overlooking tranquil gardens, 20 minutes from Chartres. The heated outdoor pool is a nice touch, whilst the interiors are characterful and romantic. Families are also welcome.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport, Orly or Beauvais-Tillé and travel to Chartres by car or train in just under two hours.
- Normandy is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 24°C in July and August — this is the busiest time of year. For a quieter trip, consider visiting in April or September, although the weather will be cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Verneuil d'Avre & d'Iton.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Normandy.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Chartres
Best Hotels in Chartres
Le Jardin Cathedrale Chartres 2 rooms from £104Local exploring - Well positioned near the Notre-Dame Cathedral and with many other of the city's main attractions nearbyShort break - Located just 80km from Paris, this is an easy option for a quick weekend getawayLocal markets - Guests can explore the local markets of Chartres and shop for regional produceSights nearby - Cathédrale de Chartres is two minutes walk away, as is the Municipal theatre
A charming little B&B located a stone's throw from Chartres' magnificent cathedral. The ornate rooms with beautiful wall papers and charming knick-knacks give the place real character. The perfect place to stay for a weekend of exploring the picturesque Norman city of Chartres. See More
Hotel Jehan de Beauce Chartres 35 rooms from £106Value chic - A historical stay with grand Art Déco or Art Nouveau style rooms. This is a luxurious option offered at great ratesLocal exploring - Perfect, central location from which to explore this rich city - full of stunning churches, gardens and galleriesLocal markets - The city has an excellent reputation for its craftsmen, its glass masters, antique shopsSights nearby - Two minute walk from the Notre Dame de Chartres Cathedral
A grand hotel well positioned in the centre of Chartres. Elegant rooms have Art Deco touches with large sash windows, patterned carpets and dark wood furniture. An elegant restaurant serves regional dishes. With friendly service, this is a comfortable stay for city exploring. See More
La Ferme de Bouchemont Chartres (28700 - Bleury-Saint-Symphorien) 4 rooms from £112Country Escape - This is a superb base for a relaxing countryside retreat, surrounded by the gorgeous sights and nature of the Loire ValleySights nearby - The chateaux of Rambouillet, Maintenon, Versailles and many more are all within easy driving distanceGreat walks - Enjoy stunning walks and cycles thorugh the trails of the Rambouillet forestKayaking - Embark on a canoe trip down the Eure
Charming B&B in a traditional Loire Valley farm, with a garden and a pretty terrace. Elegantly rustic interiors feature distressed wood furniture and chic decor, while comfortable rooms are bright and soft with attractive fabrics and stylish fittings. A delightful retreat with delicious breakfasts. See More
La Bergerie de L'Aqueduc Chartres 4 rooms from £156Country Escape - Classic country stay surrounded by beautiful rose filled groundsRomantic Break - Cosy rooms with open fireplaces are made for romanceLocal markets - Pick your way through the local market in HouxGreat walks - Enjoy lovely walks along the Voise Canal
A charming, secluded B&B set in an 18th-century farmhouse. Offering four comfortable rooms, each are individually decorated with views looking out onto the garden. The garden itself is perfect for a relaxing afternoon and features a heated outdoor pool. Ideal for a romantic weekend away. See More