- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Cherbourg
The port city of Cherbourg is at the tip of the Contentin Peninsula in Lower Normandy, perfectly positioned for cruise liners, cargo ships, ferries from the UK and the French navy. As well as the impressive port there’s a pretty, historic old town and a brilliant aquarium. If you’re using the city as a base in Normandy then the best places to stay in Cherbourg might be just outside the city - possibly in a chateau surrounded by the peaceful, green countryside? But if you’re stopping off for a few days to see the city then the best places to stay in Cherbourg will be found in the old town.
Outside of the Cherbourg, the coast alternates between sandy beaches and dramatic cliffs, backed by moorland. The Saire Valley is particularly picturesque.
Being a fishing town, Cherbourg’s cuisine includes a lot of seafood, but this is Normandy, so you should also expect plenty of dairy and apples - and cider. The markets, and the fish markets especially, are definitely worth a forage.
Not To Miss
- If you didn’t come in via the docks then you should definitely make your way down there - this is one of the last ports the Titanic docked at, right by the ferry terminal.
- That will also place you right by the brilliant Cité de la Mer, one of Europe’s best aquariums, which is also like a museum of the sea, housing a French nuclear submarine and a Titanic exhibit.
- The War and Liberation museum details Cherbourg’s role in the Second World War, when it was the primary goal for US troops after the D-day landings, among other exhibitions.
- The Musée de la Libération can be found atop the Montagne du Roule, in a famously strong fort which also offers amazing views of the city, the marina and the ocean beyond.For A Country Escape
- Just outside Cherbourg, the Manoir de la Fieffe is an elegant 16th Century mansion surrounded by manicured gardens and peaceful, green countryside. You can fine dine on the sheltered terraces if the weather permits, and sleep peacefully in one of the four traditional rooms.
- Chateau de Pont Rilly, set in a beautiful 18th century chateau, offers just four traditional rooms - complete with marble fireplaces and antiques. This is a splendid for a romantic getaway and there are plenty of activities in the area to keep you busy.
- Bruce Castle is an intimate three room B&B featuring classically elegant accommodation with chandeliers and French windows. What's more, there's also a library and charming gardens - it's a lovely all round stay.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Cherbourg are ideal bases whether you're here for a quick stopover en route to or from the ferry, or a longer stay exploring the area.
For An Apartment Or Holiday Home
If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- July and August are Cherbourg's hottest months, with daily average temperatures of 16°C. So it's never exactly balmy, but this is probably the nicest time to visit.
- That said, this is peak tourist season so if you fancy a quieter and cheaper alternative then consider coming in September or even October.
- The closest airport is in fact in Guernsey, Alderney Airport. You can fly here from a number of UK destinations, as well as from Düsseldorf, and then take the ferry across to Cherbourg.
- Alternatively, Brittany Ferries run a regular service from Poole to Cherbourg.
- Or, if you're coming from further afield then you can always fly into one of Paris Airports and then take the TGV down.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cherbourg
Manoir de la Fieffe 4 rooms from $131Cherbourg (Normandy)
An elegant 16th Century mansion in the quiet countryside just 3km from Cherbourg. Gorgeous manicured gardens. A fine dining room and sunny, sheltered terrace for meals. Bedrooms are traditional in style but ooze sophistication, and bathrooms are bang up to date. Calm, countryside relaxation.Great walks - Enjoy peaceful walks in the quiet countrysideLocal markets - Explore the nearby marketsSights nearby - CherbourgFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays