Search the best hotels in Colmar
Colmar is the capital of the green and lovely Alsace region and the surrounding countryside is only half of the charm. This city looks like something out of a fairytale with timber-beamed houses in pretty colours and cobblestone lanes leading to bridges over canals. There are castles and châteaux - plenty of German influence so close to the Rhine - excellent museums and some of Europe’s most magnificent churches. For those seeking the city’s historic charms the best places to stay in Colmar will be around the large medieval old town. If you are here to see more of Alsace, then the best places to stay in Colmar might actually be a little way out of town among the green fields and vineyards.
Colmar is a great place for foodies - the style is Gallic with a German influence and there are numerous local specialities and plenty of places to sample them.
The city is directly on the Alsacian Vineyard Route so there are plenty of vineyards around to explore. Some of the other towns and hamlets on the route have plenty of charm too, so it’s worth exploring even if you’re not a huge fan of white wine.
What Not To Miss
The 17th century Maison des Têtes, which is decorated with no less than 106 heads and faces!
The Maison Pfister, the oldest house in Colmar - complete with an octagonal staircase and lovely original features.
- Culture vultures will enjoy the Unterlinden Museum where you'll find the 16th century Isenheim Alterpiece, as well as the Bartholdi Museum and House - Bartholdi being the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty.
- Or simply meander through La Petite Venice, a historic neighbourhood with beautiful architecture and which is run through with small, charming canals.
Our guru's pick of the best places to stay in Colmar range from a simple country escape to five star luxury in the centre of town.
To see the Sights
- La Maison des Tetes is a magical five star hotel with lovely heritage details like exposed beams and sloping roofs. As well as looking romantic they also have a gastronomic restaurant and lovely courtyards and terraces.
- The Hotel Quatorze is a chic, modern hotel just minutes from the centre of town. Think original artworks and designer furniture etc..
- Outside Colmar, the eight room Hotel Villa Rosa is in the heart of the Parc Naturel Régional des Ballons des Vosges, and is a friendly little country house hotel where the owners do a lot of the hospitality themselves.
- Le Chambard is also outside Colmar, in the smaller village of Kayserberg, and offers a smaller town version of Colmar’s charms. There are 32 rooms in this comfortable hotel, and an indoor pool and spa, and you’re well positioned to explore the local countryside as well as the pretty towns and cities.
- For a spot of adults only luxury, book a room at Le Grand Chalet et spa. It's situated in the heart of wine country and offers super smart accommodation and pampering spa.
For An Apartment Or Holiday Home
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Colmar's nicest weather-wise in the summer, with the average daily temperature rising to 20°C in July.
- This however is peak tourist season, so for a quieter (and potentially cheaper) alternative consider coming in May or September.
- The nearest place to fly into is EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg, located 59km south, before taking the train or bus to Colmar.
- easyJet fly direct from Gatwick and Luton, whilst British Airways go from Heathrow and Ryanair from Stansted.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Colmar
Hotel Villa Rosa 8 rooms from £57Colmar
This friendly little country hotel in Alsace, is in the heart of the green landscapes of the Parc Naturel Régional des Ballons des Vosges. The hotel's 8 rooms are simple and comfortable. The owners prepare regional cuisine with ingredients sourced from the garden. Relaxed and great value.Skiing - Cross-country ski hire from the resort in Lac BlancTrekking - Parc Naturel Régional des Ballons des Vosges.Tennis - Tennis Court in Trois EpisGreat walks - Fantastic local walks
Villa Elyane 5 rooms from £87Colmar (Colmar,)
A charming B&B set in a stunning villa built in 1920. Rooms are bright and spacious and are decorated in a tasteful contemporary style. Guests can relax in the warm and inviting library or the old smoking room. The host serves a delicious breakfast and there are restaurants a short walk away.Families - Villa Elyane is perfect for children with a playground, large family rooms and movie nightsLocal exploring - Discover Colmar, the Alsation capital knows as "Little Venice"Sights nearby - Get to know the delights of Colmar all located nearby including Colmar Little Venice and Saint-Martin Collegiate ChurchGreat walks - Walk along the stunning Alsace Wine route and discover quaint villages and luscious vineyards
La Maison des Tetes 21 rooms from £116Colmar
A fabulous Five Star hotel in an Alsatian town. Elegant rooms have exposed beams, sloped roofs, some with views across the courtyard. A gastronomic experience in the restaurant and a lovely shady terrace on which to enjoy a drink. A great choice for families or couples.Romantic Break - Colmar hosts "Little Venice" for boat rides, gourmet meals in the hotel and listen to some jazz at the festivalFamilies - Larger suites can accommodate extra little ones, toy museum, tasty treats from the food marketsGreat walks - Along the Crest Road which links up Cernay and Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines progressing over 77 kilometresLocal markets - Market hall hosts daily food marketsRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hostellerie Le Marechal 30 rooms from £110Colmar (Noires)
This charming building lies in Colmar's historical quarter. The rooms have an old-fashioned rustic feel, with exposed beams, classical artwork and ornate embroidery. The restaurant is renowned for its innovative approach to traditional gastronomy. A lovely couples' retreat.Local exploring - Located in the heart of Colmar's old town, known as 'Little Venice', renowned for its canals, Gothic and Baroque architectureFoodies - The hotel's renowned A l'Echevin restaurant serves inventive gourmet cuisine that revisit classical and local French cuisineBusiness meetings - Offering a range of hosting packages, such as seminars or cocktail receptions, desgined for large business groupsSights nearby - Colmar's richly historic architecture is truly unique, check out the House of Heads and Pfister House for starters!
Colombier Suites 13 rooms from £118Colmar (Alsace)
This boutique, four-star hotel is located in an 18th-century property in the heart of Colmar. Recently renovated, rooms are cosy, modern and stylish, dressed in a neutral palette; book a suite for extra living space and heritage features. Relax in the hotel's riverside garden; a charming guesthouse.Hideaway - This quiet townhouse is an ideal spot for a hideout holiday, with intimate rooms overlooking the town and a pretty gardenRomantic Break - With its romantic riverside location and cosy suites, this hotel makes a great choice for a romantic getawayLocal exploring - Nestled in Little Venice, this hotel is in a great location for local exploring in ColmarLocal markets - Sample local delicacies at Colmar Covered Market, specialising in wine, cheese and pastries
Le Chambard 32 rooms from £132Colmar
This hotel provides the utmost in comfort and mod-cons for its guests. The bedrooms are comfortable and chic and the indoor pool and spa offers the chance to unwind. Located in the charming village of Kaysersburg this is the perfect spot for local exploring, be it hiking, cycling or wine tasting.Fishing - The hotel can help you organise a day of catch-and-release fly fishing with a guideBicycles available - Le Chambard can lend guests hybrid bicycles free of chargeSpa - A range of treatments and massages on offer.Great walks - Wine-country footpaths will take you right to the heart of the vineyards to meet the producers working there.
Hotel Quatorze 13 rooms from £151Colmar
A chic hotel in town centre. Large rooms feature ipod docks, original artworks and designer furniture, all with beautiful bathrooms. A sunny terrace to enjoy drinks or breakfast. Minutes from Colmar's "Little Venice". Cool, laid back and sophisticated.City Style - Chic bedrooms, lovely restaurants, wander through the old town and take in the tastes and sights at the food marketSights nearby - St. Matthew Church of Colmar, Maison des TetesLocal markets - Market halls hosts daily food marketsGreat walks - Gazon du Faing routeRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Le Grand Chalet et Spa 4 rooms from £390Colmar (Alsace)
Adult only luxury retreat in the heart of wine country. Beautiful suites offer top notch accommodation with stunning views. Chef will individually prepare breakfast and evening meals to be enjoyed in your room or suite. A romantic haven for total relaxation with spa and hot tub.Wine tasting - Located in the heart of Alsace wine country and ideally located for sampling the best vintages.Views - Stunning views over the Alsace plain, Bernese Alps and Black Forest.Restrictions on children - No childrenSpa