- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Dinan
Dinan in Brittany, North West France, is a beautifully preserved medieval city which enjoys a dramatic geographical setting, being perched on a hilltop overlooking the River Rance. The best places to stay in Dinan are centrally located and ideal for exploring this most historic spot.
Dinan is an artist's paradise. Millais lived here as a child. The town is full of history with many fine old buildings dating back to the twelfth century. The Port of Dina’ lies on the river with steep streets leading up to medieval walled Breton town on the hill. The cobbled streets throng with art galleries and craft shops; engravers, glass blowers…..Alternatively you can visit the Jacobins Theatre or the grand romanesque Basilica or Duchess Anne’s Tower (to name but three). Dinan is also a convenient base for exploring the surrounding area - St. Malo, Mont St. Michel, Rennes and further afield.
What not to miss
- St Saviours Basilica - originally constructed by Rivallon Le Roux in 1120 to thank the Lord Saviour for his safe return from the crusades, the building was improved and added to in the 15th and 16th centuries. You now find an eclectic mix of architectural styles, stunning Romanesque sculptures, and an equally impressive interior.
- Dinan Castle is a must see. It is located in the medieval city walls and has seen many incarnations over the years. It is now a local museum.
- Walk the thirteenth century ramparts and guard towers (3km)
- Take a River Rance tour. You get to see all sorts of hidden nooks and crannies which are not visible from dry land.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Dinan are popular properties, so don't leave your booking till the last minute.
For Great Value
- Hotel Arvor - this eighteenth century building lies in the heart of the medieval city and is perfect for exploring the sights. The charming rooms are tastefully furnished. The place s full of character and has a friendly bar. Standard doubles start from as little as €68 per night.
For a B&B
- La Maison Pavie is an ultra chic B & B with five rooms. The building dates from the fifteenth century and is all white painted beams and wooden floors. The ambiance is light and airy. The bathrooms are beautiful. This is a romantic bolt hole in the middle of town.
- Dinan is 4 hours from Paris by train.
- The nearest aiport is Dinard-Bretagne which is around 20km to the north. You can fly here from some regional UK airports, plus London and Guernsey. Alternatively you can fly into Rennes which is about an hours drive south of Dinan.
- Dinan is also very close to St Malo, so is easily accessible by ferry.
- The summer months are the warmest (and busiest) time of year (the average daily temperature in August is 18 degrees celcius), but Dinan is a charming destination during the quiet months too.
- If you plan to hire a car, which we strongly adivse if you want to explore further afield, we recomend you visit our partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Dinan
Hotel Arvor 24 rooms from £60Dinan
Hotel Arvor is a wonderful place to stay in the heart of the stunning medieval city of Dinan. The rooms brim with charm and have been elegantly designed with muted colour schemes and tasteful furnishings. After a day's exploring, enjoy a Breton beer in the bar. A characterful city gem.Local exploring - An authentic 18th century hotel with orginal stonework, in the historic heart of Dinan, perfect for exploring the sights.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Saint-Magloire de Léhon Abbey, founded in the 9th century.Full of characterTraditional
La Maison Pavie 5 rooms from £79Dinan (Brittany)
Ultra-chic boutique B&B in the city centre. A 15th century beamed house with 5 seamless bedrooms - painted white beams, wooden floorboards, and lots of natural light. Granite bathrooms, some with huge stand alone bath tubs. Cosy and romantic in a great location.City StyleChicGreat walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - I Escape