Search the best hotels in Douarnenez
Douarnenez is a beautiful seaside town on the coast of Brittany. Thought in French folklore to be the site where the mythical city of Ys vanished into the sea, Douarnenez also has a link to the classical love story of Tristan and Iseult. The island of Tristan, just off the coast of Douarnenez, is a testament to such heritage. The town is renowned for its relaxing, seaside atmosphere as well as rich gastromonic culture focused mainly around seafood. The best places to stay in Douarnenez tend to have great views of the sea.
Things not to miss:
- For lovers of seafood, a great thing to do in Douarnenez is pick up with the Sardine Route. It's a guided tour through the town that explains Douarnenez's historic relationship with the sardine trade.
- In the summer, it's lovely to take a boat trip out from Douarnenez and around the surrounding bays and beaches.
- At low tide, you can walk out to Tristan Island. The island has a harbour, a lighthouse, a walled garden, an orchard and an art gallery.
- Sailing is a big activity along the coast of Brittany and Douarnenez is a great calling point for people sailing along that strip of water.
Brittany is famous for its rich tradition of hospitality and the best places to stay in Douarnenez are charming, family run affairs that reflect such a culture.
The best places to stay in Douarnenez
For a relaxing retreat
- Set in a beautiful house overlooking the sea, Ty Mad is a delightful modern hotel. Featuring beautiful views, an indoor pool and excellent restaurant, it's a great base from which to explore Dounarnenez. Just a short walk from the beach.
For a private apartment or cottage
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Douarnenez is Brest (25 miles) and the train station is well connected across the region.
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Douarnenez is a year roud destiantion however the best time to visit is from June to September, when the weather is at its best.
Still not sure?
- Have another look at the best places to stay in Douarnenez.
- Expand the search to the best places to stay in Brittany.
- Alternatively contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Douarnenez
Best Hotels in Douarnenez
Ty Mad Douarnenez 15 rooms from £80Beach Life - Surfing, sailing and swimming are all minutes away, or more low key beach days at quiet Sables Blancs beachValue chic - With smart double rooms from only €92 per night, Ty Mad is great value for money.Local exploring - Ty Mad is a great base from which to explore the Quimper area of Western Brittany.Restaurant - Great restaurant which features fresh local seasonal produce.Recommended by - Michelin Travel