- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in La Baule
About La Baule
La Baule, or to give it its full title La Baule-Escoublac, is a charming town in the Loire-Atlantique on the West coast of France. The best places to stay in La Baule are either those close to the beach or with lovely seaviews (our choices tick both those boxes).
The town was established in the mid nineteenth century as a summer resort. !n 1879 the railway arrived opening the coast up to tourism. In 1918 a casino magnate invested heavily in the town attempting to replicate Deauville. By the 1920’s La Baule was a very fashionable destination for French high society, and during the 1930s it hosted the motor racing Grand Prix. The beautiful villas, casino and luxury hotels bear testament to this glamorous past.
Nowadays, La Baule remains a smart - although much more socially diverse - destination. It is virtually unknown outside France, although here it is known as the ‘San Tropez of the West’ with its lovely 12 kilometre stretch of sand - the finest on the Cote d’Amour. This vast beach is perfect for families and as well as the usual bucket and spade activities you'll find joggers, horse riding, kite surfers, wind surfers and much more.
It's a bit of a mecca for sailors too and there's a harbour at either end of the bay filled with boats of all shapes and sizes.
What Not To Miss
- Stroll along the lovely Parc des Dryades on a sunny day, where there are activities to keep the kids occupied too.
- If you're into your art then check out the displays at the Espace Culturel Chapelle Saint Anne or at De La Vague à l'Art.
- Or, learn more about the history of light aircraft at the Musee Aeronnautique de la Presqu'ile Cote d'Amour.
- Savour the region's fantastic seafood at one of the many fish restaurants along the front.
The town is particularly busy during July and August (when the Parisians come to stay). So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in La Baule during the peak summer months, book well ahead.
The Best places to stay in La Baule
- In the charming village of Pornichet, just to the east of La Baule, Hotel Sud Bretagne is a lovely boutique hotel featuring sumptuous interiors with all mod cons. There is a romantic Japanese garden and Asian spa. The restaurant is gourmet standard.
For an elegant stay
- Le Saint Christophe is a villa hotel, situated in the centre of town with elegant rooms, some contemporary, some more classic with antique furniture and walls covered with tasteful artwork. It boasts excellent French cuisine and there's a leafy garden. Beside La Baule’s market place, it's just five minutes from the beach or harbour and so an ideal base for exploring the coast by land or sea.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Best time to visit La Baule is during the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 18°C in July and August. However this is peak season, so if you want the beaches to yourself then consider visting in June or September.
- Visitors can fly into Nantes Atlantique Airport, located 79km away, before taking the train across to La Baule.
- EasyJet fly direct to Nantes from Luton and Gatwick.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in La Baule.
- Expand your search to include all our Brittany recommendations.
- Or feel free to contact a friendly guru for advice.
Best Hotels in La Baule
Hotel Sud Bretagne from $114La Baule
A gorgeous boutique hotel in a charming village. Sumptuous interiors include chic rooms, suites, and apartments with all the mod cons and enormous bathrooms. A lovely Japanese style garden, inventive cuisine, and an Asian spa. An all round hotel; romantic, gourmet, family friendly.Foodies - Fabulous delicate flavours and subtle scents of spices at Le Patio.Luxury - Wonderful rooms, gourmet cuisine, and inventive architecture.Spa - Fabulous spa treatments include reflexology and lots of Asian techniques.Romantic - Good for couples.
Le Saint Christophe 45 rooms from $174La Baule
Delightful villa hotel in the seaside town of La Baule. Elegant, well appointed rooms, with antique furniture and tasteful art work. Enjoy sumptuous meals cooked from fresh local produce. Just a short stroll from the beach, its the perfect place for exploring the beautiful Breton coast.Local exploring - Set in leafy gardens, less than five minutes walk from the beach and just behind the marketplace.Local markets - Situated right beside La Baule market place, the perfect spot for picking up some local produce.Sailing - Great stopping point for sailing are the coast of Brittany.Fishing - Take a sea fishing trip from La Baule harbour.