Search the best hotels in La Baule
About La Baule
La Baule-Escoublac, often known simply as La Baule, is a charming town in Brittany, close to Nantes. Established in the mid-19th Century as a fashionable seaside resort, La Baule has an enchanting past, and continues to attract well-heeled visitors from France and further afield. With a beautiful beach, hip art galleries aplenty and fantastic seafood, there’s no shortage of things to do in La Baule — and a wide variety of top-notch accommodation options to choose from. Our pick of the best places to stay in La Baule includes everything from simple B&Bs to restored mansions and grand sea-facing hotels.
La Baule has an intriguing history, with an 1879 railway connection opening the Breton coast to curious holidaymakers and a casino magnate investing heavily in the area post-WWI. A high society favourite by the 1920s, the town even played host to the motor racing Grand Prix. Stroll along promenades lined with imposing villas and luxury hotels, and you can still sense La Baule’s enduring glamour. Art enthusiasts should visit the Espace Culturel Chapelle Saint Anne and De La Vague à l'Art whilst in town.
Life centres around spectacular La Baule Bay, a 9-kilometre stretch of golden sand lined with shops, eateries and water sports clubs. Enjoy sunbathing, long walks, sandcastle building or gobbling ice cream as a family, or challenge yourself to wind surfing, sailing, kayaking, surfing and swimming. This is also a good spot to sample fresh seafood dishes or to sip sundowners with friends. Venture inland to go cycling, horse riding, hiking or to play golf and tennis — La Baule has it all.
The Parisian holidaymakers are expected in July and August, so book your trip well in advance to guarantee a room at one of the best places to stay in La Baule during the summer months!
The Best Places to Stay in La Baule-Escoublac
For a Cosy B&B
- La Villa d'Escoublac has just three modern rooms set around an inviting outdoor pool within a quiet garden. The beach is a few minutes' drive away, breakfasts are generous and the vibe is very relaxed. A great value B&B choice.
- Villa La Ruche offers spacious rooms and suites, a tranquil swimming pool and indulgent breakfasts served in a sunny conservatory. A warm, welcoming pick for couples. Horse riding enthusiasts will appreciate the equestrian centre, just 10 minutes' walk away.
For Boutique Chic
- La Palmeraie is a chic boutique hotel just a stone's throw from La Baule's glorious beach. Cool, contemporary rooms retain Art Deco elements, and the fabulous seafood restaurant is worthy of a visit in itself. A delight for romantics, foodies and fans of retro design.
- Hotel Sud Bretagne is a wonderful choice for a fun family trip to La Baule. Book an apartment with space for four guests, kick back by the pool or challenge your teens to a tournament in the games room. Complete with gourmet fare and spa treatments, this is a great one for the grown-ups, too.
- Le Saint Christophe offers a collection of four century-old villas tucked within leafy gardens. The 39 individually decorated rooms and suites are characterful, warm and welcoming — some have space for families, whilst others feel like honeymoon-style hideaways. With excellent French cuisine on site, this is a real showstopper.
- Hôtel Barrière Le Royal sits wthin a grand historic building near the seafront. Sophisticated guestrooms feature classic interiors with big cosy beds and crisp white linens, whilst suites have terraces with expansive sea views. A luxurious coastal pick for couples or families.
- Le Castel Marie-Louise promises a five-star stay for couples or families in a heritage manor house with elegant guestrooms and suites. Dine al fresco in the wooded park, cycle around La Baule, and sip a nightcap in the atomspheric bar after a big day of activities. An indulgent choice, with access to a plethora of activities in the area, including golf, tennis and watersports.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nantes Atlantique Airport, an hour from La Baule by bus or taxi. Alternatively, look to travel by train from other regional hubs.
- Brittany is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 21°C in July and August — though this is the busiest time of year in La Baule Bay. For a quieter trip, consider visiting in May or September, although the weather will be cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Nantes.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Brittany.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in La Baule
Best Hotels in La Baule
La Villa d'Escoublac La Baule (ESCOUBLAC) 3 rooms from £69Beach Life - La Baule's main draw is the long stretch of picturesque beach.Great walks - Take long walks through the nearby Brière Regional Natural Park.Sights nearby - Spend a day exploring the medieval town of Guérande.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A small chic property set in the resort town of La Baule - famed for a long stretch of sandy beach. Rooms are contemporary in style with whitewashed walls, large modern artworks and minimalist furniture. There's a small pool in the quiet garden and the beach is a few minutes drive away. See More
Villa La Ruche La Baule 3 rooms from £96Local exploring - Well positioned to access the cultural attractions in the region.Great walks - Take long walks through the scenic la Grande Brière natural park.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adult only
A chic B&B boasting a secluded spot just minutes from the beach. Individually styled rooms range from traditional to contemporary. All feel luxurious and spacious. A large pool sits in the tranquil garden, indulgent breakfasts are served in a sunny conservatory and there's always a warm welcome. See More
Hotel Sud Bretagne La Baule 30 rooms from £104Foodies - Fabulous delicate flavours and subtle scents of spices at Le Patio.Luxury - Wonderful rooms, gourmet cuisine, and inventive architecture.Spa - Fabulous spa treatments include reflexology and lots of Asian techniques.Swimming Pool - Heated outdoor pool
A boutique hotel on the outskirts of La Baule. Smart interiors include a range of rooms, suites, and apartments with all the mod cons and good sized bathrooms. A lovely Japanese style garden, inventive cuisine, and an Asian spa. An all round hotel; romantic, gourmet, family friendly. See More
Le Saint Christophe La Baule 45 rooms from £132Local exploring - Set in leafy gardens, less than five minutes walk from the beach and just behind the marketplace.Local markets - Situated right beside La Baule market place, the perfect spot for picking up some local produce.Sailing - Great stopping point for sailing are the coast of Brittany.Fishing - Take a sea fishing trip from La Baule harbour.
Delightful villa hotel in the seaside town of La Baule. Elegant, well appointed rooms, with antique furniture and tasteful art work. Enjoy sumptuous meals cooked from fresh local produce. Just a short stroll from the beach, its the perfect place for exploring the beautiful Breton coast. See More
La Palmeraie La Baule 9 rooms from £165Beach Life - La Baule is all about the glorious stretch of yellow sand beach located just minutes from the property.Great walks - Take long walks through Brière Regional Natural Park.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Romantic - Good for couples.
A chic hotel within a stone's throw of La Baule's glorious beach. Well designed rooms are clean and contemporary with high ceilings, whitewashed walls, polished wooden floors and tastefully patterned soft furnishings. The fabulous restaurant specialises in seafood and is worthy of a visit alone. See More
Le Castel Marie-Louise La Baule (44500 La Baule-Escoublac) 31 rooms from £191Foodies - Usine herbs from the garden and fish caught fresh that day, the chef creates delicious seasonal cuisineActive Holiday - There's plenty to keep busy with whether you want to cycle, walk or try your hand at watersportsRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's romantic suites, secluded feel, and gourmet French restaurantBeach Life - Set on La Baule’s fine sandy six-mile-long beach, this is an idyllic beach stayRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
This luxury manor house hotel sits in the heart of La Baule, France. The elegantly curated guestrooms feature classic furniture, plush linens and floral accents; book the sea view suite for a charming private terrace. Dine al fresco in the park before a nightcap at the cosy bar; a stately retreat. See More
Hotel Barriere Le Royal La Baule (44504 La Baule-Escoublac) 87 rooms from £199Local exploring - The hotel's privileged seafront location makes it a great base for local exploring in La BauleBeach Life - Sitting right on the coast, this hotel is perfectly placed for a relaxing beach holidayRomantic Break - Book a luxury suite for a romantic private terrace with sea viewsTennis - Stay active on your beach break with a game of tennis at the nearby country club; the hotel can book ahead for you
This luxury hotel boasts a seafront location in La Baule, France. Sophisticated guestrooms feature classic interior design, designer furnishings and plush soft linens; book a suite for a terrace with sea views. Enjoy a healthy lunch at Le Fouquet; a great seaside stay for couples and families alike. See More