Les Baux de Provence
Search the best hotels in Les Baux de Provence
About Les Baux de Provence
Les Baux is a fortified medieval village perched on a rocky hilltop and arguably one of the most beautiful villages in France. With a population of just 430 inhabitants, it has over 1.5 million visitors a year and for good reason: surrounded by fields of vineyards and olive groves, a village of small squares, narrow streets and medieval architecture, it is supremely rich in history for its size. Our pick of the best places to stay in Les-Baux-de-Provence range from a charming 3* mas with glorious views to an elegant luxurious rural stay just outside town.
The name "Baux" is Provencal for a prominent cliff and was popularised by the discovery of Bauxite nearby. Through the medieval era, the Counts of Baux exercised a great deal of influence and power in Provence, controlling over 79 towns and fortresses, proving to be a thorn in the side of the kings of France. Further trouble arrived in the Renaissance when Les Baux became the beating heart of Protestantism, attested by the famous stone window from that time, the Post Tenebras Lux, or 'After darkness comes light', a well known Calvinist slogan.
The road towards the village is lined with lush meadows, olive groves and vineyards and just before you reach Les Baux, you pass the Cave Vignoble Sainte Berthe, where you can sample local wines.
Walking through the Old Village in the shadow of the ruined chateau, you will find a labyrinthine maze of cobbled streets, stone reliefs and picturesque Romanesque churches. There are also many restaurants, tourist shops, cafes and museums, but in spite of this splash of modernity, it does not change the sheer beauty of the place whatsoever.
Climbing up the steep path towards the castle you pass the troglodyte caves, another remnant of a time gone by, and when you get to the top you'll be dumbstruck by the views: on a clear day you can see all the way to Marseilles and the Mediterranean Sea.
What Not to miss
- The Castle: standing ruined but proud above the Old Village, boasting awesome views of the countryside, Marseille and the Mediterranean Sea.
- The Old Village: ancient and picturesque, the Old Village bustles with life. There are tourist shops, restaurants, cafes and museums. Walking around you will come face-to-face with archaic reliefs, remnants of the years-gone-by like the Tremaie Bas relief or the Post Tenebras Lux window.
- The Church: a beautiful 12th century Romanesque church, peaceful and inspiring and pleasant respite from the bustling crowds of tourists outside.
- Museums: the Carrieres des Lumieres art museum is uniquely amazing, for the modern and Renaissance art it projects onto the rocky interior. A pleasant and quirkily different experience to most art museums, it is well worth checking out.
Les Baux stands unique amongst Provence and much of France, not merely for its beauty, but for the near-perfectly preserved remains of its medieval architecture. Ideal for sightseeing, you will be blown away by this rare gem of a village. But remember that if you want to guarantee a bed in one of the best places to stay in Les-Baux-de-Provence during the peak summer months, you'll need to get organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Les-Baux-de-Provence
- Le Mas D'Aigret: a charming 3* hotel with 16 rooms and majestic views of the village and countryside, it is a perfect base camp for exploring Les Baux. It has a heated pool and some rooms are carved out of the rock.
- Baumaniere: a stunning 5* hotel set in five 18th century houses, offering 55 rooms with 3 outdoor pools and 1 indoor pool, a spa, tennis court and a Michelin-star restaurant. Ideal for exploring and pampering yourself. Pricier than Les Mas D'Aigret but well worth it!
- Benvengudo: a Provencal architectural wonder with 28 elegant, contemporary rooms standing in the countryside. There is a gourmet restaurant, shaded terrace and a glittering outdoor pool. Horse riding can be organised here.
- Domaine de Manville: a truly wonderful 5* hotel, offering 28 rooms with a spa, outdoor pool, private golf course and gourmet restaurant, all in the shade of olive trees and flanked by green fields. Chic rooms with modern artworks.
- La Cabro d'Or: a charming 5* country house offering 25 beautiful rooms, with a swimming pool, gourmet restaurant and a spa.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments.
- The nearest airport is Montpellier and is 69km away.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer months when the temperature ranges from 14 to 30 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Provence.
- or the best places to stay in the Cote d'Azur.
- Contact one of our Gurus.
Monthly Weather in Les Baux de Provence
Best Hotels in Les Baux de Provence
Le Mas D'Aigret Les Baux de Provence (Provence) 16 rooms from £113Sights nearby - Just five minutes from the 10th century Château des Baux, a thrilling place to exploreRestaurant - Gourmet restaurant serving delicious dishes from locally sourced seasonal ingredients.Views - Stunning views of the Alpilles, the valley of Baux, vineyards and olive grovesFull of character - Beautiful bedrooms and dining room carved into the hillside
Charming 3* hotel with two bedrooms and a dining room carved out of living rock. All bedrooms decorated in soft hues, each one having its own distinct style. One two-room set designed for families. Glorious views of Alpilles and Valley of Baux. Heated pool, beautiful gardens, and terrace. See More
Le Mas de L'Oulivie Les Baux de Provence (Chemin départemental 78 F) 25 rooms from £128Country EscapeRestaurant - Poolside terrace dining at lunchtime onlySwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Le Hameau des Baux Les Baux de Provence 20 rooms from £165Foodies - Cicada, La Table du Hameau serves divine food and holds one Michelin starBoutique - All rooms are individually decorated and updated frequently so that regular clients don't get bored!Local markets - Explore the local marketSights nearby - The Roman city of ArlesRecommended by - Tablet
A picturesque guest house Le Hameau des Baux is immaculately decorated with fine restaurant and bar. Rooms go beyond the tried and tested country style and are resolutely modern chic with quirky design features and gorgeous exposed stone floors. Enjoy the outdoor tennis court and swimming pool. See More
Baumaniere Les Baux de Provence 55 rooms from £174Foodies - An on-site 3 Michelin starred restaurant, Provencal cooking classes, oenology classes and cellar toursCountry Escape - Outstanding spa, choice of outdoor pools shaded by trees, local gourmet restaurantsSights nearby - Discover the whole of Provence and the Camargue - less than one hour away by roadRestaurant - Two restaurants, one of which is the two Michelin-starred L'Oustau De BaumaniereRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Mr & Mrs Smith
Five star hotel set across five 18th century buildings in manicured gardens. Rooms are large and elegant with original beams. three outdoor pools, one indoor, fabulous spa, tennis court and kitchen garden. Two restaurants offer authentic regional menus. Idyllic, quiet and luxurious country weekend. See More
Benvengudo Les Baux de Provence 28 rooms from £192Romantic Break - A charming property in a picturesque setting, the relaxed atmosphere makes for a perfect romantic break.Local exploring - Explore the rich antiquated heritage of the area, including the Roman arena at Arles.Sights nearby - Explore the nearby Les Baux de Provence, one of France's most beautiful villages.Secluded setting - For escaping.
A majestic rural hotel, brimming with Provençal elegance. The rooms exude class and aesthetic taste with beautiful furniture and decorations. Enjoy a cocktail by the pool and in the evening sample some delicious food inspired by regional culinary culture. A Provençal wonder. See More
B Design & Spa Les Baux de Provence 15 rooms from £195Total relaxation - Perfect for an indulgent Provenceal getaway with beautiful views, a superb spa and an excellent restaurant.Romantic Break - With luxurious suites and a tranquil atmosphere, it's perfect for a relaxing, romantic break.Great walks - There are plenty of walking trails in the nearby Alpilles Natural Regional Park.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Arlenes and vist the magnificent Amphitheatre.Recommended by - Tablet, Design Hotels, Great Small Hotels
Domaine de Manville Les Baux de Provence 30 rooms from £351Total relaxation - Lounging by the pool, unwinding in the spa, wandering the grounds or feasting in the restaurant- there's something for everyone.Families - Luxurious villas large enough for all, kids club for the young ones, spa and golf course for mum and dad.Local exploring - Ideally located to engage in outdoor activities or go exploring the culture of this region.Sights nearby - History buffs must visit the Pope's Palace and the Saint Benezet Bridge.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
A 5 star luxury hotel, on a hill top surrounded by olive trees and green fields. Chic rooms with modern art, antique furnishings, and private balconies. Indulge yourself at the luxurious spa, private golf course or pool. Fresh ingredients are used in the restaurant serving innovative French cuisine. See More