- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Agen
About halfway between Toulouse and Bordeaux on the river Garonne, Agen is a typically French, pretty regional capital with plenty of sunshine and plenty of prunes. While Agen is a nice place to see, some of the best places to stay in Agen are actually the wonderful old châteaux in the region around the town.
What Not To Miss
- Agen’s historic centre has a number of historic sights, the former church of Notre Dame des Jacobins, a Dominican convent built in the 13th Century, is one of them,
- As is the tower of Notre Dame du Chaplet, which was originally part of Agen’s defences.
- But there’s also a Museum of Fine Art, some lovely public gardens, an impressively long bridge channel over the Garonne canal.
- For more historical features, visitors might want to check out the lovely old priory at Moirax and castles at Madaillan and Nerac.
- On Saturdays there’s an organic market in the centre of town.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Agen are inevitably very busy during the peak months of July and August. So if you want to guarantee yourself a room, get organised and book early! Otherwise come in the quieter months, when the crowds have gone, but the weather's still good.
The best places to stay in Agen
For a country chateau
- The Château de Cambes is a gorgeous 15th Century château with just five themed rooms and acres of gardens and woodland. There’s also an outdoor pool and spa and a nearby golf course.
- The Hotel Michel Trama is an elegant 13th Century mansion renovated into a five star, nine room hotel. As well as the fabulous, inventive decor, there’s also a great restaurant and bar and a chic looking pool.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a selection of centrally located properties ideal for exploring the town.
- Fly to Agen La Garenne Airport located 3.9km (2.4 miles) from Agen.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Agen with rail links to Toulouse and Paris amongst other destinations.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the town and region beyond - click here for prices and booking with our online partner, Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to August for typically pleasant weather for exploring the town.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Agen for you?
Best Hotels in Agen
Chateau de Cambes 5 rooms from £145Agen (Pont-du-Casse)
A gorgeous 15th century manor house now a hotel. All rooms are themed, with exposed brickwork and chic furnishings. Acres of garden and woods, outdoor pool and spa area. A short drive from the town of Agen, with golf and walks nearby. A stunning choice for couples or families.Romantic Break - A stunning setting for a romantic weekend away.Historic - A beautiful 14th century building.Sights nearby - Fortified towns (bastides), the canal bridge, the Agen museumLocal markets - Good for local colour.