Search the best hotels in Peillon
North of the Cote d'Azur atop a cliff with a stark backdrop of rocky mountains lies Peillon, an authentic and timeless Provencal village. A labyrinthine maze of cobbled pathways, steep streets dominated by unchanged medieval houses and vaulted passageways, it makes for the perfect destination for writers or anyone looking to escape the tourist mobs of summer in the French Riviera. A fully pedestrianised town, it is one to explore by foot: the streets sit in the shadow of plane trees and terraced houses garlanded with hanging vines and flowers. History lovers will notice its authenticity because Peillon has remained unchanged for many years - a fact that may prove tedious to some - and as such, there is only one restaurant, and few touristy sites of interest. However, the medieval frescoed chapels, disused oil mills, stone fountains and weekly markets make it the perfect snug rural retreat. The best places to stay in Peillon tend to be traditional and charming, ideal for that truly authentic feel.
What not to miss
- Explore the town by foot.
- Visit the Chapel of Penitents-Blancs and admire the 15th century frescoes.
- Walk to the top of the hill and drink in the gorgeous panoramas.
- Go hiking in the mountains above Peillon.
- Visit the Railway Heritage Museum at Peillon's train station.
- Browse the weekly Sunday market in the square of the village church.
A picturesque medieval town seemingly stuck in a time warp. This is an undeniably charming spot, browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Peillon to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Peillon
- Auberge de la Madone: a spellbinding family-run inn, offering quaint and understated rooms with gorgeous views of orchards and olive groves, boasting a fantastic on-site restaurant. Romantic, rustic and beautiful.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 16 and 25 degrees.
- Fly to Nice International Airport, and get a train to Peillon. The journey takes 25 minutes roughly.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars. Be warned that the town itself is largely pedestrianised, and the narrow cobbled lanes aren't suited to cars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Provence
- or France
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Peillon
Best Hotels in Peillon
Auberge de la Madone Peillon 17 rooms from £87Local exploring - Ideal for an active explorer, start with the proerty grounds and work your way to the town and surrounding countryside.Romantic Break - Wonderful views, delicious food and intimate rooms make this an idyllic couples hideaway.Foodies - Michelin recommended restaurnt serving locally grown produce in a traditional style.Great walks - There is wonderful hiking in the surrounding mountains and forests.
Enchanting family-run inn perched on a cliff-edge high above the Med, with fabulous views. Fantastic on site restaurant serves locally grown produce to the highest standard. Simple rooms with private balconies boast spectacular views of the orchards and olive groves. Romantic. See More