Search the best hotels in Penne d'Agenais
About Penne d'Agenais
A fortified medieval hilltop town on the banks of the Lot River, Penne d'Agenais has enchanted visitors for many years. With its narrow, sloping streets, old and picturesque houses, crumbling ruined castles and Romanesque churches, it is seemingly trapped in a time warp. Dominated by its comparitively modern silver-domed basilica, which you can see for miles around, it is the perfect holiday destination for families and couples alike yearning to "get away from it all". With its ruined castle - once fortified by Richard the Lionheart - medieval houses, shrine-adorned caves and pretty Romanesque churches like that of the 15th century beauty, Santa Quiteria Massels, the town is steeped in history. Further afield, the Lot River, boasts a great many activities to choose from, whether you're taking a guided boat tour of the river itself, or waterskiing on Lake Labarthe. Find out more by browsing our list of the best places to stay in Penne d'Agenais!
What not to miss
- Explore the ruined castle on the rocky outcrop jutting out craggily over the town, and drink in the sweeping, sunny panoramas.
- Wander the main street that climbs and winds up the town, passed the little alleyways and arts & crafts workshops!
- Head out to Lake Labarthe for a spot of waterskiing.
- Take a guided tour of the gorgeous Romanesque church of Santa Quiteria Massels, and admire her breathtaking muraled ceiling!
- Enjoy a relaxing boatrip along the Lot River.
- Admire the 20th century Byzantine-Romanesque silver-domed basilica that dominates the skyline all around!
A living, breathing sketch of a medieval town, Penne d'Agenais is the ideal place to go for families with eagle-eyed history-lovers. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Penne d'Agenais to find out why!
The best places to stay in Penne d'Agenais
- La Maison sur la Place: the perfect spot to explore the region fro, this artsy B&B features gorgeously designed rooms that mix the old and new, giving them a rustic-chic feel. Breakfast is served in a pretty enclosed square and dinners can be ordered on request.
- Le Relais de Roquefereau: offering stunning views of a wooded valley and horses trampling through meadows, boasting bright and minimalist en-suite rooms adorned with antiques and rustic flourishes. Guests can enjoy the outdoor salt water pool, the wine-bar in an outbuilding.
- Le Stelsia: a dreamy 16th century chateau with walls painted pink and blue, set amidst rolling manicured parkland, offering rooms decorated in an elegantly regal yet minimalist-chic style. Boasting two restaurants, a chic bar, carousel, 18-hole mini-golf course and outdoor pool.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer, when the temperature ranges between 13 and 27 degrees.
- Fly to Toulouse, from where you can get a train to Agen, where you change to Penne d'Agenais. The travel time is roughly 2.45 hours.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Lot-et-Garonne
- or France
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Penne d'Agenais
La Maison sur la Place 11 rooms from £91Penne d'Agenais (Penne-dʼAgenais)
An artsy B&B set in the picturesque village of Penne d'Agenais. Beautifully designed rooms mix the old and new giving a rustic chic feel. Breakfast is served in a pretty enclosed square and dinners can be ordered on request. A charming spot to explore the region from.Value chic - The light, spacious and artsy rooms are gorgeously decorated in a rustic-meets-minimalism style.Local markets - Only six miles from the famous market at Villeneuve-sur-Lot.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
Le Relais de Roquefereau 2 rooms from £110Penne d'Agenais
Stylish accommodation in Lot-et-Garonne with stunning views of a wooded valley, offering bright and minimalist en-suite rooms furnished with antiques and rustic flourishes. Guests can enjoy the outdoor salt water pool, the wine-bar in an outbuilding or the views of horses in nearby meadows.Total relaxation - Whether you're lounging in the saltwater pool or tasting wine in the outbuilding, the hours will dissolve away.Foodies - The table d'hotes uses only locally-sourced ingredients: the duck is a must-try.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Le Stelsia 31 rooms from £164Penne d'Agenais (Saint-Sylvestre-sur-Lot)
Dreamlike 16th century chateau and resort in Lot et Garonne standing bright within beautiful mature parkland. Rooms are boldly styled mixing old and new styles. Boasting two restaurants, a chic bar, carousel, 18-hole mini-golf course and outdoor pool. A quirky take on a rural french stay.Spa breaks - Spa facilities include a gym, pool, massage and beauty treatments, sauna and steam room.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character