Search the best hotels in Périgueux
Named for the Celtic word ‘Petrocorii’ — referring to the area’s pre-Roman ‘four tribes’ inhabitants — Périgueux is a fascinating historic centre; the town fuses a medieval centre with a smaller Roman section. Set in a beautiful part of the Dordogne, the town has a good selection of accommodation options for couples, families or groups with a range of tastes and budgets. From restored country houses to an imposing château, the best places to stay in Périgueux promise heaps of charm and a warm welcome.
Explore the remnants of the Tower of Vesunna Temple, as well as the Jardin des Arènes — once the site of an amphitheatre — and a visit to the glass-covered Vesunna Gallo-Roman Museum. Designed by architect Jean Nouvel, the museum and historic ruins are one of the area’s key cultural highlights. In medieval Périgueux, on the other hand, you’ll find winding streets and boulevards lined with bars and cafés, leading to the extraordinary Saint Front Cathedral. Guided tours of this UNESCO World Heritage Site, parts of which date back to 1120, come highly recommended. Wednesday and Saturday visitors can also admire the lively market, held in front of the cathedral in Place de la Clautre.
Particularly busy during the summer months, the best places to stay in Périgueux are well worth booking in advance. Alternatively, travel in the autumn, when you’ll find that the weather is still warm, but the crowds have gone.
The Best Places to Stay in Périgueux
For a Classic Château
- Château de Lalande is a charming property to the west of Périgueux. Rooms and suites feature bold floral wallpapers, parquet flooring and antique furnishings, whilst guests share access to a relaxing swimming pool and leafy grounds. The gourmet restaurant is a highlight, making this an especially good choice for keen foodies and romantic couples eager to escape to the countryside.
For Families or Groups
- Domaine du Val d'Atur has undergone an impressive 2022 renovation. Superb rooms and suites await families or groups in a lovely country house just a mile from town. Pick this place for the swimming pool, verdant gardens and proximity to Périgueux. A delightful spot with an excellent eatery and wonderful events options.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Bergerac Dordogne Périgord Airport or to Brive-Souillac Airport, both just under an hour's drive from Périgueux. Alternatively, hop aboard the fast train from Paris to Périgueux via Limoges.
- The Dordogne is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect a mild climate, with cool winters and warm, sunny summers. Travel between April and October for balmy weather (with temperatures peaking around 28°C) and pleasant evenings. Truffle enthusiasts should look to visit between December and March.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Bergerac.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Dordogne.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Périgueux
Best Hotels in Périgueux
Domaine du Val d'Atur Périgueux (24750 Atur) 5 rooms from £56Total relaxation - After a day of exploring Perigueux, why not unwind in the sun by the pool with a chilled glass of wine in hand?Great walks - An endless horizon of gardens and landscape surrounding her, ideal for getting lost in.Sights nearby - The Vesunna Gallo-Roman Musuem is worth seeing, a near-perfectly restored Roman villa.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Chateau de Lalande Périgueux 17 rooms from £100Country Escape - An idyllic chateau in beautiful surrounds perfect for completely unwinding.Foodies - A gourmet restaurant serving up exquisite regional cuisine.Sights nearby - Numerous historic chateaus and cathedrals to visit. The owners will be more than happy to hand out recommendations.Great walks - Lovely walks through the picturesque estate.
A picture perfect chateau in the heart of the Dordogne. Traditional rooms with floral wallpaper, quaint beamed ceilings and antique furniture. Elegant reception rooms to enjoy a tipple in and an excellent restaurant to boot. Glorious grounds complete with a well sized pool. Come for a relaxing stay. See More