Search the best hotels in Perigueux
Perigueux is in the Dordogne department of south-west France. The name is from Petrocorii, a latinization of the celtic words for ‘four tribes’ - the pre roman inhabitants of the area. The best places to stay in Perigueux make an ideal base for exploring this interesting area.
What Not To Miss
- There are two aspects to the town: Roman Perigueux, to the west, and the medieval town centre. The roman part is smaller but very worthwhile.
- Visit the remains of the Vesunna Temple and its imposing tower.
- The Gallo Roman Vesunna Museum, which is enclosed in a modern building designed by the internationally acclaimed architect Jean Nouvel, is the remains of a Roman villa and the ‘Jardin des Arenes’ was once the site of the Amphitheatre.
- The medieval town is dominated by the extraordinary Saint Front Cathedral which dates from 1120, and is laid out in the shape of a Greek cross similar to St. Marks Basilica in Venice. It was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1998 and is an important stage on the Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage route.
- The area around the cathedral is full of interesting boulevards and streets lined with medieval buildings, and plenty of bars and cafes for refuelling and people-watching!
- Perigueux is also well known for its colourful Saturday market in the Place de la Clautre. Come for the usual touristy stalls and fabulous produce from the surrounding area.
The town gets extremely busy during the peak summer months. So if you want to guarantee a bed in one of the best places to stay in Perigueux during July or August get organised and book well ahead. Alternatively come during the shoulder season, when the crowds have gone, but the sun is still warm!
The best places to stay in Perigueux
Just outside town
- Chateau de Lalande is a charming property to the west of Perigueux. The style is traditional with floral wallpapers, parquet flooring and plenty of antique furnishings. You'll also find a gourmet restaurant serving fabulous food, and a pool for relaxing after a day's exploring.
For great value
- Domaine du Val d'Atur offers exceptional value with rooms starting from as little as €65 per night (breakfast is €12.50 per person). The property is situated about a mile from Perigueux and is a charming country house conversion with a good mix of period features and contemporary style. Plus there's a smart cottage for those who prefer a self catering option.
For an apartment or holiday villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a selection of centrally-located properties perfect for enjoying all the charms of the town.
- Fly to Bergerac Dordogne Périgord Airport located 51km (31 miles) from Perigueux with a range of flights across Europe including to the UK.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Perigueux with a wide range of routes including daily trains to Paris.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the area, click here for prices and booking with our online partner Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - the Summer months of July and August typically provide warm, sunny weather with a bustling atmosphere in the town. Although visitors less concerned by the weather may prefer the Spring or Autumn where there's less crowds and cheaper prices.
Still Not Sure?
Best Hotels in Perigueux
Domaine du Val d'Atur Perigueux (24750 Atur) 5 rooms from £56
A renovated country house standing amongst beautiful gardens. The interiors stand in direct contrast with the historic setting, expect clean, modern and minimalist. The rooms offer fabulous views. A tranquil spot to explore Perigeuex and the surrounding region from.Total relaxation - After a day of exploring Perigueux, why not unwind in the sun by the pool with a chilled glass of wine in hand?Great walks - An endless horizon of gardens and landscape surrounding her, ideal for getting lost in.Sights nearby - The Vesunna Gallo-Roman Musuem is worth seeing, a near-perfectly restored Roman villa.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Chateau de Lalande Perigueux 17 rooms from £100
A picture perfect chateau in the heart of the Dordogne. Traditional rooms with floral wallpaper, quaint beamed ceilings and antique furniture. Elegant reception rooms to enjoy a tipple in and an excellent restaurant to boot. Glorious grounds complete with a well sized pool. Come for a relaxing stay.Country Escape - An idyllic chateau in beautiful surrounds perfect for completely unwinding.Foodies - A gourmet restaurant serving up exquisite regional cuisine.Sights nearby - Numerous historic chateaus and cathedrals to visit. The owners will be more than happy to hand out recommendations.Great walks - Lovely walks through the picturesque estate.