Saint Valery sur Somme
Search the best hotels in Saint Valery sur Somme
About Saint Valery sur Somme
Saint-Valery-sur-Somme is a small town on the Hauts-de-France coast some 19 miles north of Abbeville. It's a popular tourist destination both because of its charming medieval character, and of course the wider area of the vast estuary of Baie de la Somme. The best places to stay in Saint-Valery-sur-Somme are perfect bases for exploring this part of northern France.
Saint Valery is named after the monk Gaularic (also known as Valery) who arrived here in 611 and became a hermit on the headland Cap Homu. He was renowned for his virtue and his miraculous works and attracted a large following, so a primitive Abbey was established. After Valery’s death and canonisation his relics attracted pilgrims from far and wide.
Saint Valery is where William the Conqueror assembled his fleet in 1066. Joan of Arc was imprisoned here by the English prior to her execution. The town has much history and has at times been under English, French and Burgundian ownership.
The town flourished from the fifteenth Century through its port. It had a thriving wine trade and also fishing industry. ‘Chase Maree’ traders would supply inland France with fresh fish, particularly herring. In the nineteenth Century the town became a popular venue for writers and artists; Victor Hugo, Jules Verne, Sisley and Degas all had villas here.
Nowadays folk come here to stroll its narrow streets and wonder at the pretty medieval old town. There's a good range of shops, cafes and restaurants and a lively market takes place on Wednesday and Sunday.
The town is a popular destination, especially during the summer months of July and August. So if you want to be sure of a bed in one of the best places to stay in Saint Valery sur Somme, book well ahead.
What not to miss
- For nature-lovers, the Baie de la Somme is an important Wetland habitat, so there's plenty to be seen. And for active types, it's great cycling and walking country with plenty of trails for all abilities.
- Check out the town's ramparts and tower to get a sense of its rich history.
- The waterfront is also a popular haunt, and it's obviously the spot to pick up a boat for a tour of the wider bay area.
The best places to stay in Baie de la Somme
For the coast
- Les Corderies is a first-class hotel with beautiful rooms and suites that combine old and new styles for a casually luxurious feel. It has an excellent restaurant serving traditional cuisine, and the all-important top of the range spa.
- Hidden Bay Hotel boasts simple but charming accommodation overlooking the bay. The food is top-notch, whilst you can also enjoy jazz evenings at the hotel bar. A lovely spot.
For all the Family
- An interesting building with its turrets, Les Tourelles enjoys great views of the seafront and has direct access to the beach. Right in the thick of things there is always something to do whether it be sightseeing or something more energetic. It boasts a great seafood restaurant, and the childcare facilities are second to none.
For a stylish B&B
- La Femme d'A Cote is a stylish adults-only B&B at the mouth of the Somme Bay. There are four stylish rooms, you're bang in the centre of town, and it's great value too with doubles from just €95 per night.
- Au Velocipede is another chic B&B in the heart of the old town, with a lovely restaurant. Here there's a stripped back look where period features complement all the mod cons. It's also great value - doubles are from only €105
For something special
- The charming Chateau de Noyelles is a wonderfully smart getaway; their accommodation is sophisticated and spacious, whilst you can also tuck into delightful seafood dishes in the restaurant.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd like the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Visitors should fly into Charles de Gaulle Airport or Beauvais Airport (both of which are located in Paris) before taking the train down to Saint Valery sur Somme.
- The weather's nicest during the summer months, with the average temperature climbing to 22°C in July and August.
- However, this is peak tourist season and so the best places to stay in Saint Valery sur Somme get quickly booked up. To avoid disappointment, consider coming in spring or autumn.
- If you'd like to explore more of the surrounding area then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Saint Valery sur Somme.
- Expand your search to include all our Picardy recommendations.
- Or, feel free to contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Saint Valery sur Somme
Best Hotels in Saint Valery sur Somme
Les Tourelles Saint Valery sur Somme 35 rooms from £76Families - Child friendly hotel with baby sitting facilities and a dorm for children under 14, plus it's right on the beach!Beach Life - Direct beach access and a terrace with panoramic views of the Bay of Somme.Kayaking - Kayaking is available at the Bay Seal, a great way to explore the coast.Great walks - Enjoy an evening stroll along the beautiful bay of the Somme.
Au Velocipede Saint Valery sur Somme 8 rooms from £86Back to Nature - Seine Bay is home to an abundance of wildlife including seals and seabirds.Great walks - Explore the medieval town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme on foot, or head down to the coast and walk along Seine Bay.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Au Velocipede is delightful B&B tucked into the medieval town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme. The rooms carry an understated elegance with simple furnishings and tasteful artwork. The excellent eco-minded restaurant only serves locally sourced, seasonal and fresh food. A seaside charmer. See More
La Femme d'a Cote Saint Valery sur Somme 4 rooms from £86Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the lovely riverside town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme, with its cobbled streets and medieval ramparts.Birdwatching - Twitchers will be pleased to hear there are plenty of seabird watching opportunities along the Somme Bay.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating Chinese Cemetery of Nolettes.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Les Corderies Saint Valery sur Somme from £152Luxury - Casual luxury in a resolutely contemporary style.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa and therapeutic treatments.Foodies - Traditional cuisine with inventive twists.Designer - Design furniture and oak materials create a modern and authentic space.
A top of the range hotel and spa on the coast. Stunning rooms and suites combine traditional materials with contemporary presentation for chic effect. Fabulous restaurant serves traditional cuisine with an inventive twist, outstanding spa facilities, and large conference rooms. See More