Search the best hotels in Picardy
The Picardy region includes the Baie de Somme and much of the river's plains, including the atmospheric, memorial dotted fields of French Flanders. Picardy also offers beautiful rural views, rich cuisine and plenty to pique the interest of travellers interested in history. There is a good range of accommodation mainly in the countryside or on the coast. The best places to stay in Picardy are in converted chateaux which have that quintessential French feel.
Amiens is Picardy's capital, much famed, unfortunately, for its own role in both World Wars. Amiens was almost entirely rebuilt after WWII, but many of its visitors come because of its position within the First World War. Amiens occupied some of the most contested lands in all of history, the Western Front.
Like Amiens, nearby Arras suffered terrible shelling during both wars, but this town's old architecture was carefully rebuilt and restored, so if you're looking for old Amiens, visit Arras. Modern Amiens, Arras and Laon are actually lively places, with plenty of interesting cultural attractions, and pretty vistas.
Outside of the towns and cities, on Flanders fields, you'll find the beautiful, stark memorials to those lost on both sides, and from the numerous different armed forces fighting for the Allies. Some of the most poignant places to visit are the tunnels at La Boisselle, which were dug by soldiers in preparation for the battle of the Somme, and the crater-pocked battlefield and preserved trenches at Vimy Ridge.
Remembering the fallen isn't the only reason to visit Picardy. The Baie de Somme is a beautiful place (stay in St Valery sur Somme), known for its wonderful artist-inspiring light - both Degas and Seurat painted its moods extensively. The mouth of the Somme is also home to seals. The estuaries along Picardy's small stretch of coast are also well known by birdwatchers.
And if you're travelling with kids you might be interested to hear that Picardy is also home to Parc Asterix.
The region is also very accessible from Calais and Boulogne, so the best places to stay in Picardy can make great stopping off points on the way either to or from a ferry.
The best places to stay in Picardy
For a Romantic Break
- Le Macassar, just out of Amiens, is a luxurious, Art Deco style B&B surrounded by romantic gardens. The two rooms and four suites are decorated in bright colours, and some have murals. And there are four public spaces, a Moroccan style den, the Majorelle room - named for the turn-of-the-century cabinet maker of the same name, the library and the gallery, which are both Art Deco wonderlands.
- Domaine de Barive is a beautiful château surrounded by 1000 acres of parkland and landscaped gardens. Boutique rooms and suites mix modern design with traditional materials and colours. There's a very good, very French restaurant and an excellent spa.
- Chateau de Noyelles is a charming stay with chic, elegant rooms decorated with antiques and grand mirrors. Tuck into magnificent seafood dishes in the dining room - a splendid grown-up getaway spot.
- Another stunning stay, Chateau De Behen is an elegant 18th-century home in the centre of a wooded park. Their traditional rooms boast glorious countryside views, and there are plenty of activities available to keep everyone busy.
- Chateau de Fere enjoy a lovely location amidst 60 acres of parkland. The property itself is magnificent, oozing Medieval charm, with traditionally-decorated accommodation to match. Tuck into splendid French cuisine in the dining room. Sumptuous!
- The Auberge du Jeu de paume is a sophisticated five-star château with a Michelin star. The decor is traditional and elegant - probably close to 'sumptuous' without being extravagant. Expect antiques, Toile du Jouy fabrics, marble floors and a racecourse and polo field.
- Les Corderies is a beautiful modern spa hotel right on the coast. As well as the stunning views, this casually luxurious hotel has a top of the range spa and a fabulous restaurant serving traditional cuisine with clever twists.
- Set in a 300-year old farmhouse, Auberge Le Fiacre is a peaceful hotel with light rooms, lovely gardens, a heated pool, and splendid cuisine.
- Auberge A La Bonne Idee is a charming maison d'hotes with country-chic accommodation, a large garden, and a terrific menu. A lovely rural retreat.
- Three-room Chateau d'Auteil is a delightful spot set in an impressive country house. Their elegant rooms feature plenty of antiques and you can head off on long walks around their extensive gardens.
- Le Chateau De La Tour is a sophisticated stay set in a castle-like hotel. It boasts smart rooms, a stylish bar, a restaurant serving up traditional cuisine and easy access to Paris.
For the seaside
- Set in a turreted red brick house, Les Tourelles boasts simple but rooms overlooking the sea. It's incredibly child-friendly, whilst the restaurant serves up truly scrumptious seafood that's bound to impress.
- Located in Saint Valery sur Somme, Au Velocipede is a delightful B&B with smart yet simple rooms and an eco-restaurant serving up locally-sourced food.
- La Femme D'A Cote is a stylish stay with sleek and minimalist accommodation. Enjoy lovely breakfasts before setting off for the day.
- Le Cise is a collection of smart, contemporary rooms and suites with minimalist furnishings and plenty of light. You'll love meals in their fine-dining restaurant, whilst there's also a sauna, pool, and a jacuzzi.
- Hidden Bay Hotel is a stylish stay with simple but smart rooms overlooking the bay. Come back after a day on the beach to enjoy lovely seafood from the restaurant.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- You're best off flying to Paris, either Charles de Gaulle Airport or Orly Airport, before taking a train on to your final destination in Picardy.
- Weather-wise, you're best off visiting in July or August when the average temperature rises to 19°C.
- This, however, is peak tourist season - for a quieter and cheaper alternative, consider visiting in May or October.
- If you'd like the freedom of having a car with you then check out the selection with Rentalcars.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Picardy
Chateau de Noyelles Noyelles-sur-Mer, Picardy 8 rooms from £69Country Escape - A beautiful country escape nestled on seven-acres of landscaped park with orchards, neat lawns and rose beds.Families - Kids of all ages are welcome here, there are spacious rooms for families and babysitting can be arranged.Great walks - Explore the beautiful countryside, the hotel provides packed lunches for day trips.Kayaking - Guests can go seal watching on kayaks at low tide- a truly remarkable experience.Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming guesthouse in the heart of the Somme Bay, surrounded by orchards. Chic and sophisticated rooms, are individually decorated with antiques, grand mirrors, chandeliers and fireplaces. Phenomenal local seafood and organic veggies are served in the elegant dining room. A grown up getaway. See More
Les Tourelles Saint Valery sur Somme 35 rooms from £76Families - Child friendly hotel with baby sitting facilities and a dorm for children under 14, plus it's right on the beach!Beach Life - Direct beach access and a terrace with panoramic views of the Bay of Somme.Kayaking - Kayaking is available at the Bay Seal, a great way to explore the coast.Great walks - Enjoy an evening stroll along the beautiful bay of the Somme.
Auberge Le Fiacre Picardy 14 rooms from £78Hideaway - Take a dip in the heated outdoor pool flanked by a pine wood, or for a blustery coastal walk before apertifs by the fireGreat walks - Through the Crècy ForestSights nearby - The Chateau of RamburesTraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays
Au Velocipede Saint Valery sur Somme 8 rooms from £86Back to Nature - Seine Bay is home to an abundance of wildlife including seals and seabirds.Great walks - Explore the medieval town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme on foot, or head down to the coast and walk along Seine Bay.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Au Velocipede is delightful B&B tucked into the medieval town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme. The rooms carry an understated elegance with simple furnishings and tasteful artwork. The excellent eco-minded restaurant only serves locally sourced, seasonal and fresh food. A seaside charmer. See More
La Femme d'a Cote Saint Valery sur Somme 4 rooms from £86Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the lovely riverside town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme, with its cobbled streets and medieval ramparts.Birdwatching - Twitchers will be pleased to hear there are plenty of seabird watching opportunities along the Somme Bay.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating Chinese Cemetery of Nolettes.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Auberge a la Bonne Idee Saint-Jean-aux-Bois,, Picardy 23 rooms from £95Country Escape - The ideal country retreat with cosy rooms, a welcoming flower filled garden and a terrace for evening meals.Foodies - Chef Yves Giustiniani has created a colourful menu with plenty of locally sourced delicacies.Sights nearby - Chateau de Pierrefonds is a must see for anyone with an interest in the history and culture of the area.Great walks - Make the most of the great walking and hiking trails on your front doorstep.
A totally charming maison d'hotes with cosy rooms, decorated with classic French country chic. A large garden and plenty of walking trails make this a great stay for those with pets. The gourmet menu, beautiful to behold, will impress even the most ardent foodie. A wonderful rural stay. See More
Chateau d'Auteuil Berneuil-en-Bray, Picardy 3 rooms from £103Country Escape - A stunning chateau set in a beautiful landscaped park, perfect for a country getaway.Great walks - There are a choice of many great walking trails throughout the surrounding parkland.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning Saint-Pierre Cathedral, six miles from the chateau.Fishing - Pack your rods- guests can go fishing on the chateau's lake.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Chateau De Behen Abbeville (80870 Béhen) 7 rooms from £103Back to Nature - This is a working farm, and goats, sheep, horses and donkeys stroll through the groundsViews - Great views from hotelTraditional
Domaine de Barive Sainte-Preuve, Picardy 22 rooms from £104Garden - 1000 acres of parkland and landscaped gardens to explore.Romantic Break - Everything you could want for including beautiful rooms.Views - Stunning views over the parklands from the restaurant.Foodies - Les Epicuriens serves magnificent French cuisine.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A beautiful chateau just outside Reims and Picardy. Boutique rooms and suites mix modern design with traditional materials and colours. Fabulous gourmet restaurant serves French cuisine, top of the range spa, acres of parkland to explore by foot, horse or bike. Romantic, gourmet, and lots to do. See More
Chateau de Fere Fere En Tardenois, Picardy 29 rooms from £130Romantic Break - Champagne tasting, horse riding and hot air balloons all available, as well as spa treatments and gourmet diningGreat walks - Through the ruins of a medieval castle, in 70 hectares of elegant groundsRomantic - Good for couples.SpaRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
The 5* Chateau de Fere set in 60 acres of parkland. Opulent bedrooms with chic wallpapers, claw foot bathtubs and views of the ruins and gardens. Spa, sauna, indoor pool, outdoor pool and tennis court. Superb French cuisine in panelled dining room. A luxurious and stunning stay. See More
Les Corderies Saint Valery sur Somme from £152Luxury - Casual luxury in a resolutely contemporary style.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa and therapeutic treatments.Foodies - Traditional cuisine with inventive twists.Designer - Design furniture and oak materials create a modern and authentic space.
A top of the range hotel and spa on the coast. Stunning rooms and suites combine traditional materials with contemporary presentation for chic effect. Fabulous restaurant serves traditional cuisine with an inventive twist, outstanding spa facilities, and large conference rooms. See More
Le Cise Ault, Picardy 15 rooms from £179Total relaxation - A tranquil coastal property located just three hours from Paris. Ideal for relaxing weekend breaks.Sights nearby - Visit the pretty Chapelle Notre-Dame d'Onival in Ault.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
A collection of Belle Epoque villas, suites and rooms set atop a cliff boasting impressive sea views. Design is fresh and contemporary with minimalist style and plenty of light. A fine dining restaurant offers superlative cuisine and sauna, pool and jacuzzi allow for complete relaxation. See More
Hidden Bay Hotel Cayeux sur Mer 10 rooms from £156Local exploring - The perfect location for exploring the picturesque coastline around Cayeux-sur-Mer by foot or bike.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking all along the Seine Bay.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A stylish seaside hotel in Cayeux-sur-Mer, on the Seine Bay. The rooms are simply decorated and some offer views out over the bay. Sample delicious seafood in the restaurant and look out for the regular jazz sessions held in the hotel's bar. Great spot for wind or kite surfers. See More
Le Macassar Amiens 6 rooms from £156Romantic BreakSights nearby - Villers Bretonneux, Thieval, and Vimy Ridge are all battlefields from WW1.Birdwatching - At the Picardy coastal area at the mouth of the Somme estuary.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
A luxury Art Deco B&B with beautiful rooms and romantic gardens. Rooms and suites are decorated in stunning colours with murals on the walls and all the mod cons. A charming Italianate courtyard and boxed hedge gardens. Romantic and close to the river. Children 12 and over only. See More
Auberge du Jeu de paume Chantilly 92 rooms from £247Foodies - Michelin star restaurant.Spa breaks5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
A Five Star chateau with a fantastic spa, Michelin star restaurant, and sumptuous rooms. Traditional elegant interiors have antique furniture, toile du jouy fabrics, and marble floors. 160 acre racecourse and stable yard provide ample opportunity for polo and riding. A sophisticated country escape. See More
Le Chateau de la tour Chantilly (Chemin du Château de la Tour) 47 rooms from £216Romantic Break - With no children allowed, lovely bedrooms and great food, it's perfect for a weekend a deux!Local exploring - Just 5km from Chantilly, and half an hour from Paris, there's loads to be discoveredBack to Nature - In a unique and natural setting, this place really refreshes your sensesSwimming Pool - An outdoor pool is available
Sophisticated and elegant rooms in a castle-style hotel. Antique furniture, chandeliers, large doors and windows impart a classy vibe. The stylish bar hosts live band performances and the restaurant serves delicious traditional cuisine. Close by to Paris, makes a perfect weekend getaway. See More
Chateau Hotel Mont Royal Chantilly (La Chapelle-en-Serval) 18 rooms from £289Business meetings - Close to Paris, the hotel is a suitable corporate venue, holding international trade fairs, workshops, conferences and moreSpa breaks - A luxurious setting in which to enjoy a range of massages and beauty treatmentsSights nearby - A short drive away is the gigantic and thrilling Parc Asterix theme parkSwimming Pool - Indoor heated poolRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
This traditional chateau is set in beautiful parkland and promises first-rate luxury. Rooms have a simple elegance with classical furnishings, chintz fabrics and marble bathrooms. With an indulgent spa, indoor pool and Michelin-star chef, this promises to be a spoiling stay. See More