Search the best hotels in Picardy
The Picardy region includes the Baie de Somme and much of the river's plains, including the atmospheric, memorial dotted fields of French Flanders. Picardy also offers beautiful rural views, rich cuisine and plenty to pique the interest of travellers interested in history. There is a good range of accommodation mainly in the countryside or on the coast. We've picked out something for everyone from chic little B&Bs to five star properties with Michelin starred restaurants, and charming boltholes that are perfect for a quick escape from Paris. And many of the best places to stay in Picardy are in converted chateaux which have that quintessential French feel.
Where to stay - which town/area?
- Amiens is Picardy's capital, much famed, unfortunately, for its own role in both World Wars. Amiens was almost entirely rebuilt after WWII, but many of its visitors come because of its position within the First World War; Amiens occupied some of the most contested lands in all of history, the Western Front. However modern Amiens is a lively place, with plenty of interesting cultural attractions, and pretty vistas.
- Outside of the towns and cities, on Flanders fields, you'll find the beautiful, stark memorials to those lost on both sides, and from the numerous different armed forces fighting for the Allies. Some of the most poignant places to visit are the tunnels at La Boisselle, which were dug by soldiers in preparation for the battle of the Somme, and the crater-pocked battlefield and preserved trenches at Vimy Ridge.
- Remembering the fallen isn't the only reason to visit Picardy. The Baie de Somme is a beautiful place (stay in St Valery sur Somme), known for its wonderful artist-inspiring light - both Degas and Seurat painted its moods extensively. The mouth of the Somme is also home to seals, and the estuaries along Picardy's small stretch of coast are well known by birdwatchers.
- If you're travelling with kids you might be interested to hear that Picardy is also home to Parc Asterix. If you want to be based near the themepark, you should opt for a hotel around Chantilly or the Val d'Oise.
The region is also very accessible from Calais and Boulogne, so the best places to stay in Picardy can make great stopping off points on the way either to or from a ferry.
The best places to stay in Picardy
For a Romantic Break
- Le Macassar, just outside Amiens, is a luxurious, Art Deco style B&B surrounded by romantic gardens. The two rooms and four suites are decorated in bright colours, and some have murals. And there are four public spaces, a Moroccan style den, the Majorelle room - named for the turn-of-the-century cabinet maker of the same name, the library and the gallery, which are both Art Deco wonderlands.
- Domaine de Barive is a beautiful château surrounded by 1000 acres of parkland and landscaped gardens. Boutique rooms and suites mix modern design with traditional materials and colours. There's a very good, very French restaurant and an excellent spa. A good location 45 minutes from Reims makes it a good base for Champagne tasting too!
- Chateau de Noyelles is a charming stay with chic, elegant rooms decorated with antiques and grand mirrors, in the heart of the Somme Bay area. Tuck into magnificent seafood dishes in the dining room - a splendid grown-up getaway spot.
- The Auberge du Jeu de paume is a sophisticated five-star château, in Chantilly, with a Michelin star restaurant. The decor is traditional and elegant - probably close to 'sumptuous' without being extravagant. Expect antiques, Toile du Jouy fabrics, marble floors and a racecourse and polo field next door.
- Les Corderies is a beautiful modern spa hotel right on the coast in St Valery sur Somme. As well as the stunning views, this casually luxurious hotel has a top of the range spa and a fabulous restaurant serving traditional cuisine with clever twists.
- Set in a 300-year old farmhouse, Auberge Le Fiacre is a peaceful hotel with light rooms, lovely gardens, a heated pool, and splendid cuisine. Situated in a coastal spot just outside Fort Mahon Plage.
- Auberge A La Bonne Idee is a charming maison d'hotes with country-chic accommodation, a large garden, and a terrific menu. A lovely rural retreat in the heart of the Foret de Compiegne.
- Three-room Chateau d'Auteil is a delightful spot set in an impressive country house not far from Beauvais. The elegant rooms feature plenty of antiques and you can head off on long walks around the extensive gardens.
- Le Chateau De La Tour is a sophisticated stay set in a castle-like hotel just outside Chantilly. It boasts smart rooms, a stylish bar, a restaurant serving up traditional cuisine and easy access to Paris. Perfect for a relaxing escape from the city.
For the seaside
- Set in a turreted red brick house, Les Tourelles boasts simple but rooms overlooking the sea in Le Crotoy. It's incredibly child-friendly, whilst the restaurant serves up truly scrumptious seafood that's bound to impress.
- Located in Saint Valery sur Somme, Au Velocipede is a delightful B&B with smart yet simple rooms and an eco-restaurant serving up locally-sourced food.
- La Femme D'A Cote is a stylish stay with sleek and minimalist accommodation also in Saint Valery. A great base for exploring the Somme Bay area.
- Le Cise is a collection of smart, contemporary rooms and suites with minimalist furnishings and plenty of light, set in a stunning clifftop location a few kms from Le Treport. You'll love meals in their fine-dining restaurant and the breathtaking seaviews, whilst there's also a sauna, pool, and a jacuzzi.
- Hidden Bay Hotel is a stylish stay with simple but smart rooms overlooking the bay in Cayeux sur Mer. Come back after a day on the beach to enjoy lovely seafood from the restaurant.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer the flexibility of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The nearest airports are in Paris, either Charles de Gaulle Airport or Orly Airport, from where you can catch a train on to your final destination in Picardy.
- Weather-wise, the warmest months are July or August when the average temperature rises to 19°C.
- This, however, is peak tourist season - for a quieter and cheaper alternative, consider visiting in May or October.
- If you'd like the freedom of having a car with you then check out the selection with Rentalcars.
Still not sure which to book?
- Take another look through our list of all the best places to stay in Picardy.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in neighbouring Normandy or the Pas de Calais.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Picardy
Best Hotels in Picardy
Maison d'hotes Ginkgo Amiens 5 rooms from £65Value chic - Great price, with breakfast included, in a prime location in AmiensLocal exploring - Easy access to nearby historical sights in AmiensSights nearby - See the Cathédrale Notre-Dame d'Amiens, a 13th century Roman Catholic churchGreat walks - Discover the Hortillonnages', a maze of floating gardens
A small, charming B&B located in a quiet residential area of Amiens but still within walking distance of the main sites and restaurants. Rooms are bright with spacious marble bathrooms. The breakfast is indulgent, best enjoyed in the stylish orange courtyard. A chic city base. See More
Chateau de Noyelles Noyelles-sur-Mer, Picardy 8 rooms from £69Country Escape - A beautiful country escape nestled on seven-acres of landscaped park with orchards, neat lawns and rose beds.Families - Kids of all ages are welcome here, there are spacious rooms for families and babysitting can be arranged.Great walks - Explore the beautiful countryside, the hotel provides packed lunches for day trips.Kayaking - Guests can go seal watching on kayaks at low tide- a truly remarkable experience.Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming guesthouse in the heart of the Somme Bay, surrounded by orchards. Chic and sophisticated rooms, are individually decorated with antiques, grand mirrors, chandeliers and fireplaces. Phenomenal local seafood and organic veggies are served in the elegant dining room. A grown up getaway. See More
Les Chambres de Ribeaufontaine Dorengt, Picardy 5 rooms from £62Families - With spacious family suites, a huge garden, sandpit and a swimming pool there are endless opportunities for families to enjoyLocal markets - There is a market every wednesday morning in NouvionPrivate Hot Tub - Private nordic bath for 80 euros an hourSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor heated swimming pool
An idllyic guesthouse set on a horse-riding farm. Rooms are spacious with parquet flooring and bathrooms with hot-tub baths. Activities for all the family to enjoy with a pool and huge gardens- endless amounts of opportunities for fresh air. Perfect for a relaxing rural escape. See More
Il etait une Fois Pierrefonds, Picardy 3 rooms from £75Value chic - Great price for a stay in one of the oldest buildings in PierrefondsGreat walks - The village is located on the edge of the Compiègne forest which has lots of walking trailsSights nearby - Paris is less than an hour away as well Asterix and Disneyland parks
An enchanting B&B located at the foot of a 15th-century castle in Pierrefonds. Three simple and rustic rooms with large bathrooms and stunning views of the village. A perfect spot for exploring (by foot or bicycle) the magic of the Compiègne forest. Delicious breakfast and very good value for money! See More
Les Tourelles Saint Valery sur Somme 35 rooms from £76Families - Child friendly hotel with baby sitting facilities and a dorm for children under 14, plus it's right on the beach!Beach Life - Direct beach access and a terrace with panoramic views of the Bay of Somme.Kayaking - Kayaking is available at the Bay Seal, a great way to explore the coast.Great walks - Enjoy an evening stroll along the beautiful bay of the Somme.
Moulin Royale Saint-Étienne-Roilaye, Picardy 2 rooms from £69Local exploring - Close by to some of France's most beautiful chateaux and countrysideCountry Escape - Immerse yourself in the beautiful countryside of the Oise regionGreat walks - Explore the Compiegne Forest region and which is home to many of France’s native wildlifeSights nearby - Less than an hours drive to Paris
A picturesque countryside B&B in a quiet village just a few minutes from the incredible Pierrefonds. Rooms are warm and welcoming with eclectic animal-themed pillows and Chopard products. The beautiful four-acre garden and surrounding local area make it the perfect place for exploring. See More
Auberge Le Fiacre Picardy 14 rooms from £78Hideaway - Take a dip in the heated outdoor pool flanked by a pine wood, or go for a blustery coastal walk before apertifs by the fireGreat walks - Through the Crècy ForestSights nearby - The Chateau of RamburesTraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays
Maison Joussaume Latour Château-Thierry, Picardy 3 rooms from £82Local exploring - Perfectly located in the Marne Valley between the champagne cellars, historical sites and golf coursesGreat walks - Walk up to the historic old castle behind the house and see super views of the Marne ValleySights nearby - Take a day trip to Disneyland ParisSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated swimming pool
A charming guesthouse in Chateau-Thierry, just minutes walk from the town centre. Rooms are cosy and elegant with spacious showers. Relax in the sun by the pool and enjoy an al fresco breakfast on the terrace overlooking the garden. An ideal location for exploring the best of the Marne Valley. See More
Au Velocipede Saint Valery sur Somme 8 rooms from £86Back to Nature - Seine Bay is home to an abundance of wildlife including seals and seabirds.Great walks - Explore the medieval town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme on foot, or head down to the coast and walk along Seine Bay.Restaurant - Recommended.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Au Velocipede is delightful B&B tucked into the medieval town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme. The rooms carry an understated elegance with simple furnishings and tasteful artwork. The excellent eco-minded restaurant only serves locally sourced, seasonal and fresh food. A seaside charmer. See More
La Femme d'a Cote Saint Valery sur Somme 4 rooms from £86Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the lovely riverside town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme, with its cobbled streets and medieval ramparts.Birdwatching - Twitchers will be pleased to hear there are plenty of seabird watching opportunities along the Somme Bay.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating Chinese Cemetery of Nolettes.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Villa du Chatelet Choisy-au-Bac, Picardy 3 rooms from £87Hotel Entertainment - The B&B often hosts musical concerts and evening in the private living room just as Léo Delibes once didCountry Escape - The perfect spot to immerse yourself in nature; surrounded by stunning gardens and forestsHistoric - Villa du Châtelet was built by the world famous composer Léo Delibes in 1886Cooking classes - Enjoy a cooking class and learn creative recipes using seasonal everyday ingredients
A charming and historical B&B built by the world-famous composer Léo Delibes in 1886. Rooms are beautifully decorated with antiques and huge windows overlooking the beautiful grounds. With creative cooking classes and spectacular evening concerts in the sitting room, this is a unique stay. See More
La Maison et L'Atelier Neuilly-en-Thelle, Picardy 3 rooms from £91Short fly break - A beautiful rural position, not far from Paris, makes this a great choice for a weekend escapeGroups - With just three rooms, this is a great choice for a small group to rent in its entiretySights nearby - Take a day trip to Paris only 45 km away and just 25 minutes by train
A chic B&B in a countryside village near Chantilly and Senlis, with beautiful gardens. Rooms are stylish with wooden beams and spacious white bathrooms. Start the day with delicious homemade garden-to-table breakfasts. Located within easy access of Paris, this is a perfect rural weekend escape. See More
La Parenthese du Rond Royal Compiègne, Picardy 3 rooms from £91Local exploring - Discover the Picardy region with the B&B closley located to attractions such as the battlefields of WW1 and the Compiègne forestSights nearby - Visit the Armistice Memorial in Rethondes and Pierrefond CastleGreat walks - Follow the trails and explore the Compiègne national forest
A small late 18th-century guesthouse located only moments from the historic city centre of Compiègne. Rooms are spacious and stylish with floral wallpapers, wooden beams and original fireplaces. Enjoy a delicious homemade breakfast whilst relaxing in the sun on the terrace. A relaxing stay. See More
Maison Ulysse Amiens 4 rooms from £91Local exploring - This B&B is in the heart of historic Amiens and just a street from the most popular destination, the famous cathedralGreat walks - Explore the garden and parks of Les Hortillonnages d'AmiensSights nearby - Explore the Cathedrale Notre-Dame d'Amiens
A charming and quiet B&B nestled right in the centre of historic Amiens. Interiors perfectly mix simple modern design alongside the building's original features. Rooms are airy and offer stunning views of the city. An affordable option ideal for those who want to explore the city by foot. See More
Au Souffle de Vert 80220 Bouvaincourt-sur-Bresle, Picardy 2 rooms from £108Families - With family suites, a huge garden and children's games provided, this is an ideal family stayCountry Escape - A grand country house set in mature gardens, an idyllic rural French escapeSights nearby - Visit Jardin Jungle Karlostachys, a botantical garden less than 10 minutes from the B&BGreat walks - Good for walkers.
An elegant, intimate house with a beautiful garden and stunning views of the surrounding French countryside. The two suites are characterful, light and spacious with large mosaic-tiled bathrooms. Delicious fresh homemade breakfasts. A very relaxing and enjoyable stay- a true gem. See More
Auberge a la Bonne Idee Saint-Jean-aux-Bois,, Picardy 23 rooms from £95Country Escape - The ideal country retreat with cosy rooms, a welcoming flower filled garden and a terrace for evening meals.Foodies - Chef Yves Giustiniani has created a colourful menu with plenty of locally sourced delicacies.Sights nearby - Chateau de Pierrefonds is a must see for anyone with an interest in the history and culture of the area.Great walks - Make the most of the great walking and hiking trails on your front doorstep.
A totally charming maison d'hotes with cosy rooms, decorated with classic French country chic. A large garden and plenty of walking trails make this a great stay for those with pets. The gourmet menu, beautiful to behold, will impress even the most ardent foodie. A wonderful rural stay. See More
Chateau d'Auteuil Berneuil-en-Bray, Picardy 3 rooms from £103Country Escape - A stunning chateau set in a beautiful landscaped park, perfect for a country getaway.Great walks - There are a choice of many great walking trails throughout the surrounding parkland.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning Saint-Pierre Cathedral, six miles from the chateau.Fishing - Pack your rods- guests can go fishing on the chateau's lake.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Chateau De Behen Abbeville (80870 Béhen) 7 rooms from £103Back to Nature - This is a working farm, and goats, sheep, horses and donkeys stroll through the groundsViews - Great views from hotelTraditionalRestaurant - Recommended.
Domaine de Barive Sainte-Preuve, Picardy 22 rooms from £104Garden - 1000 acres of parkland and landscaped gardens to explore.Romantic Break - Everything you could want for including beautiful rooms.Views - Stunning views over the parklands from the restaurant.Foodies - Les Epicuriens serves magnificent French cuisine.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A beautiful chateau just outside Reims and Picardy. Boutique rooms and suites mix modern design with traditional materials and colours. Fabulous gourmet restaurant serves French cuisine, top of the range spa, acres of parkland to explore by foot, horse or bike. Romantic, gourmet, and lots to do. See More
Une Maison en Ville Amiens 5 rooms from £121Local exploring - Base yourself here to explore the city's Gothic archicture, museums and parks as well as sampling the famous floating marketsSights nearby - Amiens cathedral, Tribunal de Grande Instance of Amiens and the Belfry of Amiens are walking distanceLocal markets - The floating Marché sur l'Eau is located 700 metres from the propertyGreat walks - Take a tour of the city's Floating Gardens park
Intimate B&B located in the heart of medieval Amiens. The rooms are cosy yet elegant, with high ceilings and large windows, and thoughtfully decorated with artworks and ornaments. Breakfast is included and there is a lovely sit-out courtyard terrace. Many of the city's sites are reachable on foot. See More
Villa Varentia Amiens 6 rooms from £121Total relaxation - After a long day of exploring relax in the jacuzzi or take a dip in the indoor poolCountry Escape - A grand country house set in pretty gardens just outside AmiensSights nearby - 13 miles from Amiens where you can explore the Cathedral or the Jules Verne HouseSailing - Take a tranquil boat ride through the beautiful gardens and scenery in Amiens
An early 20th-century luxury guesthouse surrounded by a tree-lined park. Rooms are tastefully decorated with huge beds and bathrooms with stand-alone tubs. Relax and unwind in the jacuzzi spa or do some lengths in the pool after a day of exploring in Amiens. An elegant and welcoming stay. See More
Les Enclos B&B Chantilly 2 rooms from £143Country Escape - Set in beautiful countryside - spend days lounging in the garden, on long walks, or visiting local sitesSights nearby - The nearest train station has a direct train to Paris where day trips can be made toGreat walks - Hiking trails surround the areaSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated pool
A quaint B&B in Lamorlaye set in a beautiful mature garden. The spacious rooms are tastefully decorated with crisp white linen and simple antiques. Make use of the outdoor heated pool. A lovely rural base for exploring the region. With easy access from Paris this makes a great weekend escape. See More
Hidden Bay Hotel Cayeux sur Mer 10 rooms from £139Local exploring - The perfect location for exploring the picturesque coastline around Cayeux-sur-Mer by foot or bike.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking all along the Seine Bay.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A stylish seaside hotel in Cayeux-sur-Mer, on the Seine Bay. The rooms are simply decorated and some offer views out over the bay. Sample delicious seafood in the restaurant and look out for the regular jazz sessions held in the hotel's bar. Great spot for wind or kite surfers. See More
Les Corderies Saint Valery sur Somme from £152Luxury - Casual luxury in a resolutely contemporary style.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa and therapeutic treatments.Foodies - Traditional cuisine with inventive twists.Designer - Design furniture and oak materials create a modern and authentic space.
A top of the range hotel and spa on the coast. Stunning rooms and suites combine traditional materials with contemporary presentation for chic effect. Fabulous restaurant serves traditional cuisine with an inventive twist, outstanding spa facilities, and large conference rooms. See More
Hotel Marotte Amiens 12 rooms from £153Local exploring - Both buildings are set right in the heart of the historic city with many attractions within walking distanceBoutique - A small boutique hotel spread over two buildings offering chic rooms mixing contemporary and traditional designSights nearby - Visit the spectacular 13th-century Gothic cathedralRomantic - Good for couples.
A five-star boutique hotel located in the heart of Amiens set across two buildings. The Old House is an elegant and traditional stay complete with a tea room and bar lounge. While the Cube is a contemporary option comprising of three vast suites. An indulgent and intimate city base. See More
Le Domaine des Bruyeres Sains-en-Amiénois, Picardy 5 rooms from £155Local exploring - A prime location in the heart of the Picardy region with Amiens and the battlefields of Somme within easy accessSights nearby - Visit the town of Amiens and its cathedralViews - Views from rooms overlooking the gardenSecluded setting - For escaping.
Le Cise Ault, Picardy 15 rooms from £179Total relaxation - A tranquil coastal property located just three hours from Paris. Ideal for relaxing weekend breaks.Sights nearby - Visit the pretty Chapelle Notre-Dame d'Onival in Ault.Romantic - Good for couples.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A collection of Belle Epoque villas, suites and rooms set atop a cliff boasting impressive sea views. Design is fresh and contemporary with minimalist style and plenty of light. A fine dining restaurant offers superlative cuisine and sauna, pool and hot tub allow for complete relaxation. See More
Le Macassar Amiens 6 rooms from £156Romantic BreakSights nearby - Villers Bretonneux, Thieval, and Vimy Ridge are all battlefields from WW1.Birdwatching - At the Picardy coastal area at the mouth of the Somme estuary.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
A luxury Art Deco B&B with beautiful rooms and romantic gardens. Rooms and suites are decorated in stunning colours with murals on the walls and all the mod cons. A charming Italianate courtyard and boxed hedge gardens. Romantic and close to the river. Children 12 and over only. See More
Chateau de Picheny 02330 Picheny, Picardy 3 rooms from £169Groups - With just three suites, this is a great choice for small groups to rent out in its entiretyCountry Escape - A beautifully situated chateau set in mature grounds and offering lovely countryside viewsLocal exploring - Well placed for visiting the Champagne vineyardsGreat walks - Take gentle ambles up the hill and admire the vistas overlooking the valley
An exquisite 19th-century chateau built by Hippolyte Blanche. Rooms are spacious with antique parquet flooring and Victorian wallpaper. The large windows open up onto incredible views of the traditionally styled gardens and the valley beyond. A luxurious base for local exploring. See More
Auberge du Jeu de paume Chantilly 92 rooms from £247Foodies - Michelin star restaurant.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Spa breaksRomantic BreakRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
A Five Star chateau with a fantastic spa, Michelin star restaurant, and sumptuous rooms. Traditional elegant interiors have antique furniture, toile du jouy fabrics, and marble floors. 160 acre racecourse and stable yard provide ample opportunity for polo and riding. A sophisticated country escape. See More
Le Chateau de la tour Chantilly (Chemin du Château de la Tour) 47 rooms from £216Romantic Break - With no children allowed, lovely bedrooms and great food, it's perfect for a weekend a deux!Local exploring - Just 5km from Chantilly, and half an hour from Paris, there's loads to be discoveredBack to Nature - In a unique and natural setting, this place really refreshes your sensesSwimming Pool - An outdoor pool is available
Sophisticated and elegant rooms in a castle-style hotel. Antique furniture, chandeliers, large doors and windows impart a classy vibe. The stylish bar hosts live band performances and the restaurant serves delicious traditional cuisine. Close by to Paris, makes a perfect weekend getaway. See More
Chateau Hotel Mont Royal Chantilly (La Chapelle-en-Serval) 18 rooms from £289Business meetings - Close to Paris, the hotel is a suitable corporate venue, holding international trade fairs, workshops, conferences and moreSpa breaks - A luxurious setting in which to enjoy a range of massages and beauty treatmentsTennis - The hotel's hard outdoor courts can be reserved throughout the day and equipment is available from receptionSights nearby - A short drive away is the gigantic and thrilling Parc Asterix theme parkRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
This traditional chateau is set in beautiful parkland and promises first-rate luxury. Rooms have a simple elegance with classical furnishings, chintz fabrics and marble bathrooms. With an indulgent spa, indoor pool and Michelin-star chef, this promises to be a spoiling stay. See More