St Jean de Luz
Search the best hotels in St Jean de Luz
About St Jean de Luz
The restful port town of St-Jean-de-Luz is just down from Biarritz, very close to the Spanish border - so close you can nip over for lunch. So it's got a sort of Gallic-Basque-ness about it. Stylish Biarritz caught St-Jean-de-Luz up in the society whirlwind of the mid 19th Century. And along the promenade, beside the wooden Basque houses, are faded mansions, which have a chic charm, like stately retirees retaining their impeccable standards. Here are some good reasons to visit, and some of the best places to stay in St-Jean-de-Luz to enjoy them from.
St-Jean-de-Luz is a popular spot for French families during July and August, so there are plenty of kids on the beach. This is still a working fishing port - tuna mainly - so there's also a lot of activity and action around the centre of town. And the Basque traditions, from singing and dancing to the food, make for plenty of colour. There are also numerous festivals.
What Not To Miss
- Saint-Jean-Baptiste, the largest Basque church in France, and one of the most impressive buildings in town.
- Smell and taste the Spanish/Basque influences at the busy food market on Boulevard Victor Hugo.
- The town's main beach looks like a painting depicting the perfect sandy harbour. Lighthouse at one end, headland at the other. Striped deck chairs, umbrellas and little tents give it some colour.
- If quaint seaside charm isn't your thing, St-Jean-de-Luz is good for surfing year round. There are plenty of surf shops in town most of which offer rentals and lessons.
- The town is also a centre of Thalassotherapy - a selection of salt water treatments.
As you would expect it's a very busy town in the peak summer months, so the best places to stay in St Jean de Luz get booked up early. Plan ahead and you should still be able to bag a decent bed, or alternatively go in the quieter months, when you'll get more beach for your buck!
The best places to stay in St Jean de Luz
For a central location
- If you want to stay in the pretty heart of town, one of the best options is La Diviniere It's full of character and colour, the fantasy of the owner, who's chosen the eclectic decor all himself, from wallpaper to objets d'art. If you want warm and welcoming this is a definite winner.
- If you're looking for somewhere to pamper yourself, book the Chateau d'Urtubie. Turreted and sumptuous, this beautiful chateau has been tastefully renovated. Its private gardens and few rooms add to its exclusive feel. And the Michelin starred restaurant round the corner makes it one of the best places to stay in St-Jean-de-Luz for foodies.
- La Reserve is the perfect family property. It's in a marvellous location with stunning sea views and surrounded by extensive grounds with tennis courts. There's children's menus and you're just a short walk from the beach and centre of town.
For an apartment or holiday villa
- Think that a self catering villa or apartment would suit you better? Check out the wide range with our online booking partner, Booking.com.
- Nearest airport - San Sebastian (about 12km over the border in Spain) or Biarritz (13.6km to the north).
- Best time to visit - St Jean de Luz is popular year round but the best weather can be had during the peak summer months. In August the average high is around the mid twenties celcius.
- Want to hire a car? Visit our online partner, Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure which is the property for you?
- Have another look at our list of all the best places to stay in St-Jean-de-Luz,
- Alternatively, widen your search by taking a look at all our recommendations in The Basque Country.
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in St Jean de Luz
Best Hotels in St Jean de Luz
Chateau d'Urtubie St Jean de Luz 8 rooms from £74Value chic - Beautifully restored rooms start from just €85 per night.Foodies - Michelin recommended gourmet restaurant very close by.Great walks - There's a good range for all abilities from walking the coastal paths to hiking in the nearby mountains.Local markets - Visit one of many traditional local markets in the surrounding towns and villages.Recommended by - Sawdays
Elegant family-run chateau. Sympathetically restored bedrooms and suites crammed with antiques and artworks, and seriously impressive public spaces. Beautiful grounds and lovely swimming pool. Within walking distance of a gourmet restaurant. Ideal for foodies, couples, and local explorers. See More
La Reserve, Saint-Jean-de-Luz St Jean de Luz 41 rooms from £100Families - Tennis courts, gardens, children's menus and plenty of activities - plus dogs are allowedEco break - An eco friendly escapeViews - Its spectacular clifftop setting ensures great views out over the AtlanticGreat walks - Walk the coastal pathway which you can pick up right in front of the hotel
Beautiful hotel with stunning vistas of the Atlantic ocean. Its contemporary rooms are light and spacious with balconies that boast views out to the sea. Have a game of tennis or amble down the coastal path to the charming town of St Jean de Luz. The perfect place for exploring the Basque coastline. See More
La Devinière St Jean de Luz 6 rooms from £104Beach Life - A gorgeous french house on a quiet pedestrian street leading to the main beach, in the heart of the old city.Full of character - La Deviniere oozes character and is filled with period objets and antiques plus a vast library to lose yourself in!Sights nearby - Located in St Jean de Luz's old townTraditionalRecommended by - I Escape