- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Biarritz
Even if you've never heard of it before, the name Biarritz makes it sound upmarket. And it is in it's way. This town really took off as a glamorous seaside resort in the mid 19th Century and spent the Belle Epoque and Art Deco eras being lavished with attention and architecture. The best places to stay in Biarritz have evolved from simply offering large, grand seafront piles. You'll now find chic B&Bs and small boutique style hotels catering for a very discerning audience.
But the fact that Biarritz also has some of Europe's best waves means that today it's also on the to-do list of most surfers. So it's not just beautiful people who adorn these lovely beaches.
Being 15mins from the Spanish border means Spanish flavours have infiltrated the cuisine - and the culture. And this is a fascinating town for a mini break.
Biarritz hasn't lost all her gentility and you'll still find old fashioned elegance in her old spas offering their famous seawater treatments. Or in the graceful decor of many cafes, restaurants and hotels.
French spa and beauty experts highly recommend being pummelled, massaged and soaked into submission here; and some of the best places to stay in Biarritz have top notch spas open to visitors and day guests.
Famous for its coastline, Biarritz has a beach to suit everyone. The Grand Plage (main beach), is known for its long, hollow waves, but can get pretty crowded - which is perfect if you want to do some people watching!
One of the best surf beaches is a long stretch called Cote de Basque. At low tide it's excellent, but at high tide there's almost no sand at all. Camper vans full of Endless Summer types hang out here just waiting... Swimmers tend to prefer the beach by Esplanade du Port Vieux.
If you're interested in finding out more about this town's history visit the Musée Historique de Biarritz, in what was once a grand Anglican church. At the other end of town are the impressive domes of the Russian Orthodox Church. And in the middle is the Sainte-Eugenie church, which has an crypt which is also an excellent exhibition space.
If you're travelling with your kids you might like to spend an afternoon in the Cite de l'Ocean, a wave shaped marine museum, and its partner aquarium, Musée de la Mer.
They may also be impressed by a trip to the lighthouse at the the north-east end of town. It's called the Phare de Biarritz, and offers amazing views of the coastline.
At the other end of town is the Rocher de la Vierge, a tiny crop of rock surrounded by swirling seas, but linked dramatically to the mainland by a footbridge.
Our recommendations for the best places to stay in Biarritz offers a wide range with something for everyone; from five star luxury close to the beach to a cheap and cheerful countryhouse B&B just out of town.
For location and contemporary style
- Hotel de Silhouette is the perfect place if you like things clean, modern and close to the action. The area around the 20 room hotel has recently morphed from scruffy into tres chic. Right by the market this is also one of the best places to stay in Biarritz if you want to be near funky cafes and bars.
- Maison Garnier is another townhouse hotel with a charming mix of classic and contemporary. Its location is perfect, just minutes from the beach, but close to the evening action!
- If you're travelling with your family the Edouard VII should be ideal. Right in the centre of town, this 19th Century mansion totally looks the part. But inside it's welcoming rather than fussy - lots of creams and whites. Don't miss breakfast on the terrace. With rooms starting from under £70 a night this is also an excellent option for people on a budget.
- Chateau de Clair de Lune is just out of town and is ideal for families, with its expansive grounds and outdoor pool
For five star luxury
- The Hotel du Palais is a grand hotel with an enviable location overlooking the Bay of Biscay and the Grand Plage. Interiors are opulent, there's an enormous spa, and there's excellent dining options too.
- Le Beaumanoir offers just eight gorgeous rooms and suites, on the outskirts of town. As well as sumptuous interiors there's a Dom Perignon Bar, and airport transfers courtesy of the hotel's Rolls-Royce.
For a villa or apartment
- If you think that you'd be better off with a self catering property, then check out the wide range with our online booking partner, booking.com.
- Nearest airport Biarritz - just 5km south east of the city
- Best time to visit - Biarritz is popular year round but the best months are May to October. Weather peaks in August with average temperatures in the mid twenties celcius.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner, Holiday Autos.
Still not sure which is the hotel for you?
Best Hotels in Biarritz
Edouard VII 18 rooms from $91Biarritz
Charming and oh-so-French address in the city centre. A 19th century mansion keeps its original interiors - wood panelling, wooden floors, and old mirrors - which compliment the rooms' elegant creams and whites. The breakfast terrace is the pièce de résistance. Relaxed and family-friendly.Families - Family rooms are available, with bunk beds for childrenCity Style - Charming residence, in the centre of BiatrritzLocal markets - Explore the local french markets both in Biarritz and further afield.Sights nearby - Visit the Rocher de la Vierge and the Eglise Sainte Eugenie
Maison Garnier 7 rooms from $120Biarritz
A refined sea side hotel within walking distance of Biarritz's beaches. Just 7 bedrooms with white washed walls and wooden floorboards, some with private balconies. Elegant and poised - an intimate hotel with plenty of style.Local exploring - Ideally located for getting the best from Biarritz and the surrounding Basque CountryBeach Life - Situated just three minutes walk from the beach.Restrictions on children - This is an adults only establishmentSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Sawdays
Château de Clair de Lune 17 rooms from $160Biarritz
Set in a large leafy estate stands a chateau, a hunting lodge and a villa - an ideal spot for foodies, families or groups touring the Basque country. A wonderful restaurant, beautiful period-inspired interiors and lovely garden. A really magnificent place to explore Biarritz.Private villas - There is a separate hunting lodge and a separate villa on the estateFamilies - Lots of space for children to roamCountry Escape - In a beautiful estateSights nearby - Just 4km from the centre of Biarritz
Hotel de Silhouette 20 rooms from $189Biarritz
Airy and contemporary addition to Biarritz’s hotels. A beautiful sandstone building with funky modern rooms and a lovely garden. A charming place to stay, nestled in the town's streets, with great restaurants and a daily market place close by.City Style - A smart hotel in the lively Quartier des HallesBeach Life - Just 300m from the beachLocal markets - Daily market just a few steps awayLively - Close to local hot spots
Le Beaumanoir 8 rooms from $262Biarritz
A luxurious Five Star hotel close to the beach. Contemporary rooms in Baroque style have large marble bathrooms. An outdoor pool, library and excellent bar. Superb regional cuisine and plenty of intimate spaces to relax in. Dramatic, romantic and understated.Honeymoons - 5* luxury awaits in this French hideaway; beaches a short walk away, beautiful pool, French cuisine and romantic roomsCooking classes - Many schools in Biarritz: Uhart Shop, La Table d'Aranda and Phillipe RestaurantGreat walks - Climb the 248 steps of the Lighthouse!Surfing - Over 10 surf schools in the area
Hotel Du Palais 154 rooms from $377Biarritz
A grand hotel overlooking the Bay of Biscay. Opulent interiors throughout with chandeliers and heavy draped curtains and frescoes. The rooms are standardly large and impressive. An indulgent spa and indoor and outdoor pool. Steps from the beach. Multiple fine-dining restaurants. A spoiling stay.Families - Family rooms and plenty of space for little ones to explore plus a lovely spa for adultsBeach Life - Just steps from Biarritz’s beach.Sights nearby - Just half an hour from the hotel is the fairytale like Abbadia Castle.Fishing - Sea fishing in the Bay of Biscay.