Search the best hotels in Biarritz
A glamorous seaside resort town since the mid-19th Century, beautiful Biarritz boasts Belle Epoque and Art Deco architecture galore. Facing the vast Atlantic Ocean and just a short drive from the Spanish border, it’s a fantastic foodie destination, as well as a great choice for a beach break as a couple or with family and friends. With everything from intimate townhouse hotels to grand châteaux, the best places to stay in Biarritz promise something for a whole array of budgets and interests.
Biarritz’s dramatic Atlantic coastline is impossible to ignore. Gather on La Grande Plage to surf, sunbathe, sail, swim or stroll along golden sands. The Phare de Biarritz, at one end of the beach, is particularly striking at sunset, whilst the craggy Rocher de la Vièrge makes for the perfect daytime lookout point. The Plage de la Côte des Basques is also wonderful for beach trips. To discover more about the Atlantic, visit the Musée de la Mer or the modern, wave-shaped Cité de l'Océan.
Lively Place Sainte-Eugénie, dominated by its imposing church, is great for people-watching, and the Musée Historique de Biarritz will delight history buffs. Don't miss the chance to enjoy restorative thalassotherapy treatments at Biarritz’s marvellous spas before tucking into delicious fare at its many cafés and restaurants. The fusion of fresh seafood, Pays Basque produce and both French and Spanish influences makes Biarritz’s culinary scene a particularly exciting one. Many of the top spots to eat are also within easy reach of the best places to stay in Biarritz!
The Best Places to Stay in Biarritz
For a Central Stay
- Hotel de Silhouette is a beautiful sandstone house with funky modern rooms and a lovely garden — unusual for its super-central location. Close to the market, trendy bars and cafés, this newer addition to the Biarritz hotel scene is a great pick for both couples and families. Very hip.
- Hôtel Edouard VII is a lovely 19th-century mansion with a classic French feel. Expect white and cream interiors with some floral wallpapers, private balconies and big breakfasts on the terrace. Shared spaces are filled with antiques. Families can book a room with extra bunks for little ones. Very central.
- Hôtel de l'Océan is an airy boutique pad overlooking the ocean on Place Sainte-Eugénie. Rooms feature teal and coral tones, cosy armchairs, private balconies and stained glass windows. A fun choice for couples or families, in the heart of the historic action and close to the coast.
- Maison Garnier is a simple townhouse hotel in a central location. Book one of seven individually designed bedrooms, some of which have private balconies. Adults-only, affordable and well-placed for exploring for the city and the beaches.
For a Tranquil Escape
- Château du Clair de Lune is tucked within beautiful gardens and parkland studded with mimosa and rhododendron. Ten elegant rooms are hidden within the 19th-century manor house, and there are a further eight, some of which have flexible spaces for families, in the more modern hunting lodge. Swim in the pool, relax in the verdant grounds or dine in style at creative L'Atelier, located on the estate grounds.
- Le Beaumanoir sits two kilometres inland from Biarritz, with eight lavish rooms and suites, a Dom Perignon bar and a refreshing swimming pool. A quirky heritage house promising a luxurious stay in restful rural surroundings. Best for couples or friends travelling together.
For Seaside Luxury
- Hôtel du Palais is an opulent Biarritz icon, perched in an enviable seaside location on Grande Plage. Soak up marvellous Bay of Biscay views from some of the 150+ sumptuous rooms and suites, enjoy restorative treatments at the spa, or cool off in the indoor and outdoor pools. Multiple fine-dining options and direct beach access add to the appeal of this grand dame.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Biarritz Pays Basque Airport, just a few minutes by bus or taxi from the heart of town. Alternatively, travel by TGV from Paris in under 5 hours.
- France is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between May and September for warm weather (with temperatures peaking around 25°C) and perfect for a beach holiday. Spring or autumn visitors can expect cooler temperatures.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Guéthary.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques, or all our recommendations in French Basque Country
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Biarritz
Best Hotels in Biarritz
Edouard VII Biarritz 18 rooms from £69Families - Family rooms are available, with bunk beds for childrenCity Style - Charming residence, in the centre of BiatrritzLocal markets - Explore the local french markets both in Biarritz and further afield.Sights nearby - Visit the Rocher de la Vierge and the Eglise Sainte EugenieRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Charming and oh-so-French address in the city centre. A 19th century mansion keeps its original interiors - wood panelling, wooden floors, and old mirrors - which compliment the rooms' elegant creams and whites. The breakfast terrace is the pièce de résistance. Relaxed and family-friendly. See More
Hotel de l'Océan Biarritz 26 rooms from £77Beach Life - Set a stone's throw from the beach in Biarritz, book this hotel for your next Basque Country seaside breakLocal exploring - With easy access to the coast and to the city centre, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringRomantic Break - Book a luxury Ocean View Suite with a private balcony for added indulgence on your romantic getawaySurfing - Biarritz is a surf haven, with great conditions off the coast; the hotel can arrange surfboard delivery to get you started
Nestled by the coast in Biarritz, this hotel is perfect for a Basque Country seaside break. The hotel's cream-white facade is traversed by two balconies, providing sit-out terraces with sea views for several guestrooms. Start the day with breakfast on the hotel terrace in Place Sainte-Eugénie. See More
Maison Garnier Biarritz 7 rooms from £78Local exploring - Ideally located for getting the best from Biarritz and the surrounding Basque CountryBeach Life - Situated just three minutes walk from the beach.Sights nearby - 5 minutes walk from the Casino de FranceRestrictions on children - This is an adults only establishmentRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Sawdays
Château de Clair de Lune Biarritz 17 rooms from £121Private villas - There is a separate hunting lodge and a separate villa on the estateFamilies - Lots of space for children to roamCountry Escape - In a beautiful estateRestaurant - The restaurant comes highly recommendedRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Set in a large leafy estate stands a chateau, a hunting lodge and a villa - an ideal spot for foodies, families or groups touring the Basque country. A wonderful restaurant, beautiful period-inspired interiors and lovely garden. A really magnificent place to explore Biarritz. See More
Hotel de Silhouette Biarritz 20 rooms from £143City Style - A smart hotel in the lively Quartier des HallesBeach Life - Just 300m from the beachRestaurant - Serving breakfast and lunch - traditional, seasonal cuisineLocal markets - Daily market just a few steps awayRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Le Beaumanoir Biarritz 8 rooms from £201Honeymoons - 5* luxury awaits in this French hideaway; beaches a short walk away, beautiful pool, French cuisine and romantic roomsCooking classes - Many schools in Biarritz: Uhart Shop, La Table d'Aranda and Phillipe RestaurantGreat walks - Climb the 248 steps of the Lighthouse!Surfing - Over 10 surf schools in the areaRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel Du Palais Biarritz 154 rooms from £286Families - Family rooms and plenty of space for little ones to explore plus a lovely spa for adultsBeach Life - Just steps from Biarritz’s beach.Sights nearby - Just half an hour from the hotel is the fairytale like Abbadia Castle.Fishing - Sea fishing in the Bay of Biscay.
A grand hotel overlooking the Bay of Biscay. Opulent interiors throughout with chandeliers and heavy draped curtains and frescoes. The rooms are standardly large and impressive. An indulgent spa and indoor and outdoor pool. Steps from the beach. Multiple fine-dining restaurants. A spoiling stay. See More