What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Stepantsminda
Stepantsminda (know to the locals as Kazbegi) is a small town in North eastern Georgia which sits on the banks of the Terek river, just 10 kilometres from the Russian border. It is named after a monk, Stephan, who constructed a hermitage here and It subsequently became a stopping off point on the Georgian Military Highway. The best places to stay in Stepantsminda are ideally located for enjoying this beautiful scenic spot and most boast wonderful views.
The surrounding scenery is quite spectacular: there are high peaks - Mt. Kazbec (5033m) and Mt. Shani (4451m) - and mountains on all sides, plus pretty alpine meadows and forests. This is a fantastic place to come to enjoy the great outdoors. Aside from climbing and trekking, rafting and kayaking are popular pursuits, along with horse riding, paragliding and mountain biking. viewing the glaciers and waterfalls or browsing the two museums.
What not to miss
- Hike to the histsoric Gergeti Trinity Church situated above the village at an altitude of 2170m. The views are simply epic.
- Hire a bike and explore the Sno Valley - the scenery is breathtaking. But beware it can be very steep in places!
- There is plenty of white water around for adrenaline junkies, but for a more sedate day on the water try rafting in the Snotskali river
- Visit the Alexander Kazbegi Museum - there's a good collection of Georgian folk items on display.
The town is a must for anyone seeking an off-the-beaten track adventure, but our pick of the best places to stay in Stepantsminda also provides a touch of boutique style in this remote location.
The best places to stay in Stepantsminda
For a design hotel
- Rooms Hotel Kazbegi is a stunning and ultra modern hotel. Every part of it is designed around and to make the most of its magnificent setting. Chic rooms boast fantastic views, interiors are eco friendly with a minimalist yet sophisticated look. A stunning stay in remote northern Georgia.
- The best way to reach Stepantsminda is by car or private transfer from Tbilisi (157km South). Matrushkas (public routed shared taxis) leave Tbilisi approximately every hour.
- Stepantsminda usually experiences dry cold winters and long cool summers. January average temperature: 4 degrees celcius. July average temperature: 14 degrees celcius.
- If you plan to hire a car to get around we recommend our online partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Stepantsminda
Rooms Hotel Kazbegi Stepantsminda 156 rooms from £140
A stunning, ultra-modern hotel set on the edge of nature in rural Georgia. Everything is catered towards emphasising the hotel's magnificent location with its lovely rooms, restaurant and swimming pool boasting fantastic views of the surrounding mountains. A true Georgian wonder.Eco break - An eco design hotel with minimalist sophisticated interiors such as Restoration Hardware furniture and sustainable native wood.Romantic Break - An impossibly romantic getaway, with chic suites overlooking the immense and awe-inspiring Caucasus Mountains.Great walks - There are tonnes of beautiful walking trails in the area surrounding Kazbek mountain.Sights nearby - Four miles down the road is the 14th-century Gergeti Trinity Church.Recommended by - Design Hotels, Tablet