The Hotel Guru is pretty upscale but fun to look at. Marcie Ellers.
Search the best hotels in Amrum
Amrum is one of Germany’s North Frisian islands in Schleswig-Holstein and the tenth largest island in the country. There is an extended beach along its entire west coast which is remarkable for its dunes.The island itself is in a state of constant change due to the effects of erosion. For many years it has been a refuge for a wide variety of bird species, marine mammals and plants (many endangered and rare ones) including grey seals and porpoise. The best places to stay in Amrum make for a perfect seaside escape.
Historically Amrum flourished as a centre for seafaring and salt making - this has now been replaced almost entirely with tourism - but the Frisian language and customs remain. It has also become a popular location for the German TV and film industry due to its undeniable natural beauty.
What Not To Miss
- There are three main settlements on the island, the largest of which (Nebel) is worth a visit for its local history museum and the Church of St. Clement with its ‘talking gravestones'.
- If you are visiting in February the island holds the annual ‘Brakendrai’ festival when a huge bonfire is lit in order to dispel winter.
- Amrum is a paradise for cyclists and walkers with an extensive network of trails.
- Kick back and relax on Amrumer Strand with broad swathes of bright white sand, ideal for a stroll or for relaxing in the sun.
- Alternatively, for panoramic views across the beaches and sea - climb the towering lighthouse, Amrumer Leuchtturm.
There are regular ferry services to the island from Dagebull and there is a very good bus service serving all destinations (cars are not encouraged) and the best places to stay in Amrum have great access to all this and more.
The best places to stay in Amrum
For a seaside holiday
- Hotel Hutmann is a peaceful hotel with light charming rooms. Its suites have a sitting room and kitchen. There is a cosy lounge, bar and restaurant. The spa and apartments are arranged around the gardens. The hotel is close to the beach and cycle or walking tours can be organised in house.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a great selection of properties perfect as bases to explore the island from.
- Fly to Hamburg Airport located 227km (141 miles) from Amrum with a wide selection of flights across Europe.
- Alternatively, catch a ferry to the island with regular services from Dagebull.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the island - visit our partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to September to make the most of the stunning natural scenery and beaches on the island.
Best Hotels in Amrum
Hotel Huttmann from £111Norddorf, Amrum
Peaceful hotel on the island of Amrum. Charming rooms have light palette furnishings, some bigger suites with lounges and kitchens. Cosy sitting room with fireplaces and mounted antlers, popular bar and good restaurant. Spa and apartment rooms arranged around a garden.Beach Life - Hotel can book your seaside loungers, next to the dunes, or enjoy a peaceful cycle around the islandGreat walks - Hotel offers Nordic Walking tours and stick rentalSights nearby - Visit the Amrumer lighthouseSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.