Search the best hotels in Kiel
Across its history Kiel has been of strategic importance to Germany because of its position on the Baltic sea. Once a small port, Kiel has developed into a beautiful Baltic city and the capital of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein. Famed for its ship building heritage, Kiel is also home to a flurry of beautiful architecture as well an excellent university. The best places to stay in Kiel tend be near the city's harbour.
What not to miss:
- The city is home to a number of fascinating architectural landmarks. Its oldest builidng is the beautiful Church of Saint Nicholas which dates back to the 13th century.
- Other impressive sights are the city's Rathaus and the Opera House overlooking the port.
- The city boasts two botanical gardens, the Old and the New Botanical Gardens. They are both great places to spend a relaxing afternoon.
- There are a number of museums worth a look including zoological, geological, historical, fine art, industrial and military museums. The most notable of these being the Stadt-und Schifffahrtsmuseum Warleberger Hof, a maritime museum.
Kiel is often wrongly overlooked as a tourist destination, especially if you're planning a trip along Germany's Baltic coastline. The best places to stay in Kiel range from city centre hotels to beautiful houses on the outskirts of the city.
The best places to stay in Kiel
For a harbourside location
- Looking out over the Fjord, the Hotel Kieler Yacht Club is a delightful spot. Featuring sharp, contemporary rooms, an excellent restaurant and a buzzy atmosphere, it's a great base from which to explore Kiel.
- Just a short walk from the harbour, Hotel Kieler Kaufmann is an excellent establishment. Great rooms, a superb restaurant and a spa all combine to create the perfect launchpad for a weekend in Kiel.
- Some way out of the city centre, Hotel Birke is the best option for people who enjoy a quiet, relaxed hotel. After a touristy day's sightseeing, retreat to the hotel's spa or enjoy a delicious meal in the restaurant which specialises in North German cuisine.
For central location
- Right in the heart of Kiel, Atlantic Hotel is a swish contemporary establishment. Offering excellent rooms with a chic aesthetic, the hotel also has a lively bar and an excellent restaurant. Perfect for people who want to be in the thick of the action.
For an apartment
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Kiel is Hamburg (55 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Kiel is from June to September, when the weather is at its finest and the average daily high is around 20 degrees celcius.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Kiel
Hotel Birke Kiel 82 rooms from £100
A chic family run hotel in central Kiel. Modern spacious rooms with bright interiors and comfortable beds. Make the most of the on site spa and wellness facilities, including the indoor pool. The Fischers Fritz serves modern German cuisine in a stylish setting. A cool and convenient spot.Foodies - Make sure to sample the food at the excellent on site restaurant specialising in North German cuisine.Business meetings - The hotel has its own meeting rooms and provides a free shuttle into Kiel for business guests.Total relaxation - With plush rooms, and an extensive spa this is the ideal spot for a weekend of relaxation.Sights nearby - Perfectly placed for exploring, only a short walk from Kiel's landmarks.
Hotel Kieler Kaufmann Kiel 58 rooms from £129
Charming and characterful hotel close to the Kiel Fjord. Elegant guestrooms have wooden floors and cheerful colours with modern touches. Indoor swimming pool, gardens, sauna and steam rooms. Great restaurant with unique menu. A perfect base for a Baltic weekend.Local exploring - A perfect base to enjoy whilst taking day trips to Baltic beaches, a sailing trip or fantastic walkSights nearby - Kiel Castle and the Maritime Museum are 2km awayFull of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Atlantic Hotel, Kiel Kiel 187 rooms from £164
A contemporary hotel in the heart of town, providing guests with a seamless stay. A substantial buffet breakfast is included in the rate, whilst dinner and drinks can be found at Restaurant Pier 16 and Deck 8 respectively. Popular for an after work tipple. The gym and sauna are welcome additions.City Style - A funky design hotel with bright contemporary interiors and a vibrant atmosphere, metres from Kiel Fjord.Sights nearby - The hotel sits just one hundred metres from Kiel Fjord.
Hotel Kieler Yacht Club Kiel 21 rooms from £171
Popular hotel on the harbour. Guestrooms have modern bathrooms, and views over the Fjord or Düsternbrook forest. Gourmet menu in the restaurant and lively bar. A fantastic base to enjoy the city's waterways or walk along the waterway paths.Local exploring - Perfect location to make the most of the city's waterways - Regatta week is not to be missedGreat walks - Start at the Baltic Information Centre for guidesLocal markets - Alter Markt squareSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.