What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden is infamous as the location of Hitler's mountain top lodge, the Eagle's Nest. However aside from this dark historic note, the town and area have much to recommend them. Situated right up by the Austrian border Berchtesgaden is surrounded by impressive mountains, including the Watzmann (Germany's second highest peak), providing a stunning alpine backdrop. And just a short drive away is the Konigssee, a sparkling crystal clear lake set in the Berchtesgaden National Park. Our pick of the best places to stay in Berchtesgaden provide an excellent base for exploring this beautiful area, and making the most of all its outdoor activities.
Berchtesgaden was once a favourite summer retreat of the Bavarian royal family. It is an historic town with pretty painted houses surrounding a charming square in its pedestrianised centre, where you'll find a good range of cafes, shops and restaurants.
For outdoors enthusiasts, Berchtesgaden is heaven! It's a mecca for hikers and mountain bikers, and there are trails in the surrounding area to suit all levels of fitness and ability.
What not to miss
- Jump on the free bus to Konigssee then take a boat trip on its gorgeous green water to soak up the scenery including the lakeside church of St Bortholoma with its onion domed roof.
- Venture into the old salt mines which used to be the source of the town's wealth. Tours include a trip across an underground lake!
- Go to Eagle's Nest (which is now a panoramic restaurant) for the awesome views, then visit the Obersalzberg Museum at the bottom of the mountain to learn about the region's Nazi past.
- The mountain walks - there are about 240km of marked walking paths
- Get active - there are so many options here including kayaking, white water rafting, summer tobogganing, paragliding, golfing, cycling...
Use our guide to the best places to stay in Berchtesgaden and start to plan your visit to this beautiful corner of Bavaria.
The best places to stay in Berchtesgaden
For a luxury resort
- The Hotel Berchtesgaden is a luxury resort and spa in a stunning spot in a stunning ski town. There are 138 contemporary rooms, decorated with a minimal-meets-traditional flair, and with plenty of glass, plus a Michelin starred restaurant and an extensive spa. Alpine perfection.
For an apartment or chalet
- If you'd prefer a self-catering property, we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Berchtesgaden is Salzburg, which is just 20km away over the border in Austria.
- If you wish to hire a car to explore this beautiful part of Bavaria we recommend you visit our partner, Rentalcars.
Best Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Hotel Bavaria Berchtesgaden from £95
A charming hotel set in the historic town of Berchtesgaden. Spacious rooms are traditionally dressed with light wooden floors, pine furniture and exposed beams. Sumptuous breakfasts are served and there's a small spa and sauna. An ideal base for accessing the stunning surrounding national park.Back to Nature - Surrounded by stunning scenery this is the perfect spot to reconnect with nature.Spa - Great little spa with Finnish Sauna, roman bath and several treatment roomsSailing - Take a leisurely boat trip across the beautiful Königssee lakeTraditional
Hotel Berchtesgaden Berchtesgaden 138 rooms from £153
Luxury resort and spa set in a stunning location in the pretty ski town of Berchtesgaden. Minimalist contemporary design meets traditional regional style. Glass fronted rooms lend spectacular views. A Michelin-Starred restaurant for pure indulgence. A glorious and extensive spa. Mountain perfection.Foodies - The hotel houses Michelin-starred Le Ciel as well as an excellent and hearty Bavarian restaurant (best enjoyed with a beer).Active Holiday - The Bavarian Alps are an adventure playground with everything from Germany's highest golf course to paragliding and skiing.Spa breaks - An extensive spa includes a colour therapy and meditation lounge with floating water beds plus seasonal massages.Great walks - Miles of trials to be explored starting right from the hotel door.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection