Search the best hotels in Coburg
Located in the beautiful region of Bavaria, Coburg is a gorgeous town filled with a wealth of heritage and arts well beyond what you'd expect a town of 42,000 people to possess. The town traces its origins back to the 11th century and since then numerous Dukes have inhabited the town ensuring a rich vein of majestic buildings and artworks. However, Dukes haven't been the only notable people to spend time in Coburg with Martin Luther and Queen Victoria being amongst the most well-known former visitors. It's not surprising that the town has played host to numerous visitors over the years, with wonderful old timber-clad buildings interspersed by quaint streets housing an abundance of cafes, restaurants and shops. Many of the best places to stay in Coburg are located amongst these ancient streets and are ideal for exploring all the delights of the town.
Overlooking the town is the impressive castle which has played home to numerous members of royalty down the years and it's quite the spectacle when lit at night. Whilst exploring Coburg is a great experience, visitors may also wish to use the town as a springboard for exploring the scenic region of Bavaria beyond the town with its rolling plains, dramatic forest-covered mountains and great lakes. Whatever the reason for your visit to Coburg, there's no shortage of things to see and do in the town and surrounding area and our list below picks out some of the highlights.
What Not To Miss
- The iconic Veste Coburg Castle is perched majestically atop a hill overlooking the town, making it a spectacle that visitors simply can't miss. The castle is unmissable for other reasons as well, including the superb views of the region from the historic walls. Inside Veste Coburg, there are a great selection of historical artefacts from medieval weapons to suits of armour giving visitors a great insight into the rich past of the town. The castle has also played residence to Martin Luther and Prince Albert.
- Explore Marktplatz, the ancient square situated in Coburg's old town featuring beautiful old buildings that have been well preserved and contain a superb selection of cafes, bars and restaurants - ideal for enjoying the local cuisine and a spot of people-watching. There's also a selection of market stalls selling a range of local items, great for visitors looking to pick up an authentic souvenir.
- Enjoy a tranquil stroll through the Hofgarten, a historic garden filled with ancient trees and great views of the town. The gardens are very well maintained and visitors who fancy a longer walk are able to hike up to Veste Coburg.
- Take a tour of the Schloss Ehrenburg, the city residence of the dukes of Coburg from 1547 to 1918. The rooms are wonderfully decorated with mesmerising pieces of art and tapestries and the informative tours make it easy for visitors to learn all about the fascinating history.
- Alternatively, catch a show at Landestheater which hosts a variety of performances from Operas to the ballet in a truly regal setting.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Coburg are wonderfully in keeping with the ancient nature of the town and are brilliant for a relaxing stay whilst enjoying the best of local culture.
The best places to stay in Coburg
- Hotel Goldene Traube is a characterful property in the heart of Coburg. Brightly coloured, individually styled rooms, feature large windows, contemporary furnishings and wonderfully comfortable beds. A well stocked wine bar is the perfect spot to enjoy an evening drink and there's a Michelin starred restaurant to boot. Very smart.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a selection of centrally-located properties, perfect for exploring the town.
- Fly to Nuremberg Airport located 106km (65 miles) from Coburg with a range of flights across Europe.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Coberg, with rail links across the region and to Nuremberg.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the wonderful Bavaria region, we recommend visiting our partner, Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to September for warm weather, great for exploring the town and great outdoors.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Coburg.
- Expand your search to include all of our recommendations in Bavaria.
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Coburg
Best Hotels in Coburg
Hotel Goldene Traube Coburg 70 rooms from £112Local exploring - A historic building well positioned within walking distance of many of Coburg's best sights.Restaurant - Victoria Grill specialises in steaks, seafood and sushiSights nearby - Visit the stunning 13th century Veste Coburg castle.Full of character
A characterful property in the heart of Coburg. Brightly coloured, individually styled rooms, feature large windows, contemporary furnishings and wonderfully comfortable beds. A well stocked wine bar is the perfect spot to enjoy an evening drink plus a steak seafood & sushi restaurant. Very smart. See More