Search the best hotels in Bamberg
With the River Main streaming through the centre of the town, Bamberg is immediately an eye-catching place to arrive at. Generally considered to be Germany's most beautiful town, Bamberg's entire old town has been Heritage Listed by UNESCO. It's hard not to be bowled over by the charm and beauty of the place. As well as stunning architecture it turns out Bamberg is famous for producing distinctive smoked beer. The best places to stay in Bamberg tend to be found on or nearby the river.
Things not to miss:
- Bamberg's international reputation is largely based on its superb architecture. The best way to explore the town is on foot and we recommend you start at the magnificent 13th century Cathedral.
- The town has a long religious history and is home to the Bishop of Bamberg. As a result, Bamberg has two glorious bishop's residences, the Alte Hofhaltung and the Neue Residenz.
- Other sights of interest include Little Venice, the old Rathaus and Michaelsburg Abbey.
- For history buffs, or those just seeking to learn a little more of the town's past and culture, a stop at the Historisches Museum, set inside the Alte Hofhaltung, is a must.
- Marvel at the wonderfully Germanic beauty of the clipped hedges and regimented flowerbeds in the spectacular Rosengarten of the Neue Residenz.
- Enjoy the uninterupted views of the seven hills of Bamberg from the 33-metre tower of the Bishops’ residence.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Bamberg range from hotels in the heart of the town to castles in the surrounding countryside.
The Best Places to Stay in Bamberg
For town centre
The Hotel Nepomuk is a traditional, riverside property in beautiful Bamberg, with light, contemporary interiors and 24 rooms. The restaurant has a wonderful terrace which allows you to sit right out over the river and you’re within walking distance from all the main sights.
Villa Geyersworth is an elegant 4-star hotel situated on the picturesque banks of the old Ludwig-Danube-Main Canal on Geyersworth island in Bamberg.
- The charming Weinhaus Messerschmitt is set in the heart of Bamberg boasting an exemplary restaurant that specialises in locally caught fish and game.
For a Schloss
- Just outside Bamberg lies the magnificent Schloss Burgellern. Hidden amongst beautiful woodland, the hotel exudes charm and character with lovely rooms, a natural swimming pool and an excellent restaurant. Perfect for a relaxing break.
For a private apartment
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Bamberg is Nuremberg (39 miles). Fast and frequent trains also run from Nuremberg, Munich, Bayreuth and Berlin.
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Bamberg is from May to September, when the temperature sits comfortably in the twenties however it is popular year round with each season bringing its own charm. Many people also visit as a day trip from Nuremberg.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Bamberg
Hotel Nepomuk Bamberg 24 rooms from £123
A traditional riverside property with contemporary interiors. Simple light rooms with clean lines and modern bathrooms. Local cuisine is served at the restaurant which features a terrace sat in the middle of the river. Walking distance from most of Bamberg's sights. Ideal for local exploration.Local exploring - Well situated in the world cultural heritage city of Bamberg.Sights nearby - Admire the medieval architechture of the historic city.Sailing - Take a romantic gondola ride along the Regnitz.Views - Great views from hotel
Villa Geyersworth Bamberg 40 rooms from £132
An elegant 4-star hotel situated on the picturesque banks of the old Ludwig-Danube-Main Canal on Geyersworth island in Bamberg. Nestled in the town's UNESCO-listed historic centre it boasts riverside walks ideal for couples' retreats, and offers fine dining in its private restaurant and terrace.Sights nearby - Popular attractions close to the Hotel Villa Geyerswörth include the Old Town Hall and Bamberg Cathedral.Great walks - Enjoy beautiful riverside walks along the banks of the old Ludwig-Danube-Main Canal.
Weinhaus Messerschmitt Bamberg 9 rooms from £140
A charming hotel and restaurant set in the heart of Bamberg, a UNESCO Heritage Site. Individually styled rooms are light and bright with softly patterned fabrics, large windows and indulgent bathrooms. The restaurant specialises in locally caught fish and game. Ideally placed to explore the town.Foodies - Feast on fresh fish caught from the river Main and local game.Great walks - Take a stroll through the stunning rose gardens set behind the Neue Residenz.Sights nearby - Visit the Medieval 11th century Bamberg Cathedral.Romantic - Good for couples.