Mulheim an der Ruhr
Search the best hotels in Mulheim an der Ruhr
About Mulheim an der Ruhr
Mülheim an der Ruhr, or "the city on the river", is situated by the banks of the Ruhr in Germany's North Rhine-Westphalia region - just a short distance north of Düsseldorf. Mulheim has a heavily industrial past, but the last mines closed in the mid-twentieth century as it became one of the first cities in the area to switch from heavy industry to a service economy. Nowadays, it's an extremely pleasant city, with plenty of greenery and parkland dotted around. Indeed, one of the best things to do in Mülheim is to wander around the parks and woods taking in your peaceful surroundings. Some of the best places to stay in Mülheim an der Ruhr are in fact just outside the city in the picturesque surrounding countryside.
Mülheim makes for a charming city break if you're looking for a fairly peaceful getaway, and it's a great base from which to explore the rest of the region.
What not to miss
- Head up the fifty-metre tall Aquarius Wassermuseum to enjoy wonderful views of the city. Its fourteen levels also have plenty of informative multimedia stations where you can learn all about technology and science - ideal if you're visiting with young kids.
- Wander through the well-preserved Altstadt, or Old Town, which is full of quaint half-timbered buildings.
- Culture-vultures should definitely check out the Kunstmuseum Mulheim an der Ruhr.
If you come in the busy summer months though be sure to book well in advance as the best places to stay in Mülheim get booked up fast.
The best places to stay in Mülheim an der Ruhr
For the city centre
- The 19th-century Villa am Ruhrufer is an intimate stay with twelve contemporary rooms and extensive spa facilities. Plus, there are lovely views out over the city's green meadows. A top spot.
For just outside the centre
- Schlosshotel Hugenpoet, set in a beautiful castle surorunded by parkland, is a stunning retreat with elegant and traditional accommodation. There's also a gourmet restaurant, spa, and a fantastic wine cellar - what more could you possiibly ask for?
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The best time to visit weather-wise is in the summer months, with the average temperature reaching around 18°C in July and August.
- Your best bet is to fly into Düsseldorf International Airport before taking a train across to Mülheim - this should take around an hour.
- If you want the freedom of having a car with you then check out the options with our partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Mülheim an der Ruhr.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations for the best places to stay in Düssledorf or Essen.
- Alternatively, if you're still stuck then feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Mulheim an der Ruhr
Best Hotels in Mulheim an der Ruhr
Villa am Ruhrufer Mulheim an der Ruhr (Dohne 105) 12 rooms from £239Business meetings - Ideal for business travellers as it is within easy reach to the centre of Mulheim, Dusseldorf, Essen and Duisberg.Total relaxation - A spa, swimming pool, fitness centre and sauna on site as well as plenty of walking in the surrounding area.Back to Nature - Situated on the banks of the Ruhr River, the hotel offers stunning views over the green floodplain meadows.Great walks - There are several nature trails that you can explore by foot.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A small and intimate hotel in a 19th century villa, with a convenient location close to Mulheim centre. Rooms are contemporary and offer all modern facilities. A wonderful choice with two private golf courses and a choice of three restaurants. Very peaceful, quiet and charming. See More