Search the best hotels in Norderney
One of the East Frisian Islands, Norderney - Germany's first North Sea resort - was founded by Friedrich Wilhelm II of Prussia in 1797, and became a popular holiday destination for weathy aristocrats. Indeed, Bismark himself made this his holiday home. With long sandy beaches, state-of-the-art wellness and thalassotherapy centres and a 9-hole golf course set amid the East Frisian dunes, it's the perfect place to get-away-from-it-all and unwind. The Wadden Sea lies close by, the largest unbroken series of sand and mud flats in the world, an eerie and beautiful place to hike through. And watersports like surfing and kite surfing are hugely popular here. And if you're ever in doubt, there is a town crier - a long-held tradition of Norderney - who announces the weather, local news and answers any questions that the eager tourist has to ask! The best places to stay in Norderney put relaxation and rejuvenation at the top of their priorities.
What not to miss
- Relax on one of Norderney's long sandy beaches.
- Hike through the Wadden Sea, the longest series of unbroken sand and mud flats in the world.
- Go on a North Sea seal safari!
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9-hole golf course.
- Conquer the waves by kite surfing.
- Unwind in Haus, Germany's largest thalassotherapy centre.
An island defined by wellness, nature and relaxation, Norderney is ideal for couples looking to rejuvenate themselves. However this also makes it a very popular destination especially during the peak summer months. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Norderney during July or August, we'd advise you book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Norderney
- Hotel Haus Norderney is a contemporary hotel set in a listed building, offering modern rooms adorned with elegant white furniture, and some with balconies. Enjoy unwinding in the sauna, lounge or afternoon tea room! Amazing value for money.
- Exuding romance and style, Inselloft Norderney is a cool and contemporary seafront hotel offering bright and modern rooms with private terraces, a pampering spa and a fabulous seasonal restaurant. Perfect for couples.
- The Seesteg is a a beautiful hotel overlooking the Wadden Sea National Park. Designed to ensure intimacy and comfort, the rooms are stylish and elegant with attached patios boasting phenomenal sea views. Perfect for a relaxing romantic break.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer, between June and August, when the temperature ranges between 12 and 20 degrees.
- Fly to Bremen Airport, and get a train to Emden, (a 1.30 hour journey), from where you get a connection to Norddeich Mole - the ferry landing. This is where you catch a ferry to Norderney.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the neighbouring islands of Juist and Langeoog
- or all our recommendations in Schleswig Holstein;
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Norderney
Hotel Haus Norderney Norderney 10 rooms from £52
Modern hotel in listed building on island of Norderney. Contemporary style rooms have elegant white furniture, some with balconies. Sauna and fireplace lounge; good breakfast and afternoon tea. Plenty of ways to relax in the town. Excellent value.Country Escape - Cycle along the island's coast paths, take a day of thalassotherapy and retire to hotel next to a fireplace
Inselloft Norderney Germany, Norderney 19 rooms from £132
Style-conscious beachfront hotel with unique design touches, bringing the seaside in. Bright and airy suites, with sea views, lead out onto private terraces for sunbathing. Relax with a treatment at the spa, have breakfast in bed or dine in the seasonal restaurant. A fresh take on a beach holiday.Families - With family suites available and lots of activities on offer that children will love, this hotel is popular with familiesBeach Life - Just 100m from the seafront, this hotel is perfect for a beach holiday on the North Sea islandHoneymoons - With its quiet, romantic seafront setting, this is a great honeymoon optionSights nearby - Visit the local lighthouse, a stone's throw from the hotel
The Seesteg Norderney 16 rooms from £246
A magnificent hotel overlooking the Wadden Sea National Park. Designed to ensure intimacy and comfort, the rooms are stylish and elegant with attached patios boasting phenomenal sea views. Perfect for a relaxing romantic break.Local exploring - If your keen to explore the stunning Baltic island of Norderney and the lovely Wadden Sea National Park, this is your place.Romantic Break - A picturesque romantic escape on the Baltic sea, with intimate and elegant suites, fantastic fresh food and stunning views.Great walks - This incredible coast boasts innumerable walks and trails, soak up the ever changing landscape.Sailing - Perfect stopping point on a sailing trip around the North Sea.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux